Hind quarter hanging tendon

Borny1

I have always had trouble keeping the hanging tendon on a hind quarter. I like not having to pack the extra weight of the leg/shin but I can't figure out how to do it and keep the hanging tendon. Does anybody have a link showing how to do this?

There are two cutable hinges on that joint. Option 1) start low and cut your way into it. Option 2) Say the hell with it and cut the lower leg off with a saw.

Done both. Sometimes things just don't cooperate. If a mistake has occurred, tie it back together with a little wire , baling twine or parachute chord.

Here's a video to show how easy it is. Starting around 2:15 it shows how to do the butcher's joint, just below where the hanging tendon connects to the lower part of the hind leg.

If you want to download this, and three other, videos to have on your phone while you are out in the field, go to the bottom of this webpage - https://www.randynewberg.com/gerber/

Hatchet, saw?
Good demo by Randy why they are never required to deal with any deer/elk.
To the first poster, to find the rear joint, (I do it with the skin on) pull the leg straight, from the bottom of the leg run your thumb up the inside of the leg, when you come to the first knuckle/joint cut right across the top of it, by doing so the bulk of the work has been done, cut around, a twist, and it will crack right off.
Front leg, bend to 90° run knife down rear of leg until you meet the bottom leg, cut around and the flat joint should just snap off.
Cheers
Richard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back