Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Highly packable soft shell outer layer?

Shangobango

Any suggestions?

I am looking for something quiet, packable, and warm. I am currently running Sitka Stratus jacket and bibs. They are great but are a little lacking in the packability and warmth to weight ratio.

I have the Kelvin wind stopper hoody as well but it is just too noisy for close quarters hunting.

Is there anything out there comparable to the Kelvin WS in a soft shell?

What about throwing on a layer underneath?
I’m not familiar with the Sitka gear, but could you layer in like a nice quarter zip? I have the Mamth Wool Fleece from Barney’s Sports Chalet in Anchorage, AK. I also have an UnderArmour Cold Gear.

I wear Sitka Jetstream as my go-to outer layer. I just layer underneath it depending on the temp and wind. I bought my son a Sitka Timberline a couple of years ago that’s a bit lighter and more packable (yet still had windstopper and water repellent), but unfortunately they don’t make that one anymore.

Im in the same boat lately. I have a older browning gore tex soft shell that works great but is very bulky in the pack. manly due to the amount of overkill size in the belly area. The chest and arms fit great, just wish was slimmer cut in body. I am having a hard time retiring it as it does work very well. I have debated the jetstream as it looks like cut slimmer.

I used to do a soft shell insulated jacket (Kuiu Guide, Sitka Jetstream or 90%). On backpacking trips or anything I thought they were always bulky and weighed a lot for what you were really getting. Basically a semi warm jacket that you cant really hike in that's not waterproof at all in inclimate weather...... So I tried something else

I have been primarily using a rain jacket or gear (good quality rain jacket or gear) specifically the M5 Series from SG for me for an outer shell layer. I use a combination of puffy items underneath, along with mid layer wool or synthetic items.

Seems to work in about any condition I have been hunting or hiking in as of lately.

Soft shell and packable aren't usually mentioned in the same sentence.
Yeah exactly.

@Shangobango are you looking for one jacket that you can wear for whitetail, that's warm and quite?

This year I used my dewpoint jacket, and then layered up underneath. I would walk the 1.5 miles to my stand with a pack, then about 250 yards out I would take the pack off and add all my layers before I climbed in the tree. I felt like as long as the dewpoint jacket was on top I didn't have issues with noise. 🤷‍♂️

I like the jetstream as a softshell, but it's still "loud" for the whitetail woods, IMHO.

@Shangobango are you looking for one jacket that you can wear for whitetail, that's warm and quite?

Yes.

I suppose I am looking for a unicorn.

It seems like what may work best is to keep running the Stratus set I am using now and find a mid weight puffy jacket and pants to pack in and use as a mid/insulation layer.

I am trying to cut weight and bulk as much as possible. Right now if I am packing mu Stratus set in along with my stand, gear, and supplies I am at about ~45 lbs or so. Not a deal breaker but when trying to stay mobile every ounce seems to count.

On the bright side, hunting like I am now will keep me in decent shape. I am at approx 3.5 miles for the day so far with that load.

Yes.

I suppose I am looking for a unicorn.

It seems like what may work best is to keep running the Stratus set I am using now and find a mid weight puffy jacket and pants to pack in and use as a mid/insulation layer.

I am trying to cut weight and bulk as much as possible. Right now if I am packing mu Stratus set in along with my stand, gear, and supplies I am at about ~45 lbs or so. Not a deal breaker but when trying to stay mobile every ounce seems to count.

On the bright side, hunting like I am now will keep me in decent shape. I am at approx 3.5 miles for the day so far with that load.
Yeah, too bad they don't put the old downpour face material on one of the down jackets. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
You could look at a Down Jacket or a Down Vest if you just need to keep your core warm. For my Sheep Hunt this year I brought:
Black Ovis 150G T
Black Ovis 250G Hoodie
Frontier Gear Wooly Mamoth Quarter Zip (Wool and Fleece - Barney's Sports Chalet Anchorage, AK)
Eddie Bauer CirrusLite 650 Fill Down
Kuiu Chugach Vias.

As mentioned above I hardly wore anything more then the Chugach - the couple days it got sunny I just ran in the wool shirts and when it was windy and we were hiking I mostly wore the Chugach over. When it was cold I put on the 1/4 or the puffy. Luckily we never dipped low enough to need all the layers but I sized everything to make sure they would all stack together. I'm looking to keep running this system but want to get a nicer down layer - I'm looking at the Stone Glacier Grumman Goose Down.

I have been primarily using a rain jacket or gear (good quality rain jacket or gear) specifically the M5 Series from SG for me for an outer shell layer. I use a combination of puffy items underneath, along with mid layer wool or synthetic items.

Seems to work in about any condition I have been hunting or hiking in as of lately.

Eyjonas how do you like running the M5 like that?

You could look at a Down Jacket or a Down Vest if you just need to keep your core warm. For my Sheep Hunt this year I brought:
Black Ovis 150G T
Black Ovis 250G Hoodie
Frontier Gear Wooly Mamoth Quarter Zip (Wool and Fleece - Barney's Sports Chalet Anchorage, AK)
Eddie Bauer CirrusLite 650 Fill Down
Kuiu Chugach Vias.

As mentioned above I hardly wore anything more then the Chugach - the couple days it got sunny I just ran in the wool shirts and when it was windy and we were hiking I mostly wore the Chugach over. When it was cold I put on the 1/4 or the puffy. Luckily we never dipped low enough to need all the layers but I sized everything to make sure they would all stack together. I'm looking to keep running this system but want to get a nicer down layer - I'm looking at the Stone Glacier Grumman Goose Down.

Eyjonas how do you like running the M5 like that?
It works for me and my needs, like I have said I like have a couple soft shell jackets that are slightly insulated. They're pretty decent but in inclimate wet weather they suck IMO, Not water proof enough and once they're wet they're done unless you can get them dried out.

I really like the M5 series gear. Its made well and so far has held up great. Like all products at SG its designed and tested by the man himself Kurt at SG and anyone that knows him hes about as meticulous as it comes when it comes to gear standing up to his expectations.

I use two styles of puffies; one is a lighter Free Country with hood. It's pretty packable and does the trick, I normally pair it with my First Lite puffy pants. This combo is for hunts when I'm on the move and keep me warm for a couple hours with a good wind break when I'm stationary.

My other set up is for long late November whitetail sits or coyote hunting. It's a heavy surplus puffy paired up with surplus army Primaloft pants. This combo is meant to walk no more than a couple klicks packed in a bag to sit for long hours in very cold temps.

Packable outer layer. I assume mild weather conditions, fall hunting??? The Jetstream is nice but not a "packable" piece in my eyes. For Fall mild conditions the lightest, most packable windproof, quiet, water "resistant" out layer I have found is the Sitka Mountain Jacket.

One thing about it that you should know. It is Athletic fitting so if you are looking for an outer layer definitely get a size UP.

I personally use it during spring and fall as an out layer to base wool or light puffy jacket. Extremely light and packable jacket that you will probably ask yourself when you get it..."I paid what!? For this!? After using it you realize it's worth every penny. Just my .02

@EYJONAS! what have you thought of the M5 and do you see much difference in the M7?

I haven't seen or worn the M7 I have just talked to the guys about it a bit. As stated above by snowy it is basically going to be more of a late season light weight hunting shell complete with a fleece backer for a little added warmth. I am not sure this is a need item for myself but you never know.

I like the M5 gear, for the price I think it is probably just as good or it would be tough to tell a difference between it or and Arc'teryx piece. Which I'm not paying 600 for a rain coat. I myself like the fabric, its quiet and comfortable to move around in a bit. Running their gear in a layer system it is nice to have the vents lined up with one another to unzip and cool off. So far through 1 season it has served me well.

The combination of using the raingear basically as a shell over my layers has really been a great change to my style of hunting. Its easy to not get so stoved up, everything is light and the biggest part is I no longer have a bulky jacket with me on top of everything.

Here's my layer list:

Early and Most of the season

32 Cool Active shirt
32 Cool Waffle LS Tee or Merino LS Tee
32 Cool Active Hoody or Heavy Weight Hoody
Midweight Quarter Zip Pull Over
32 Degree Down Vest
Puffy North Face Coat
M5 Series Gear

As you can see I'm not running a lot of high end shit but I say why when it's working for me. You can buy that 32 cool stuff all day long at Costco, or direct. A whole outfit costs less than 50 bucks.

Throughout the season I'll adjust and add or subtract things too but the M5 never leaves my pack.

Last edited:
I haven't seen or worn the M7 I have just talked to the guys about it a bit. As stated above by snowy it is basically going to be more of a late season light weight hunting shell complete with a fleece backer for a little added warmth. I am not sure this is a need item for myself but you never know.

I like the M5 gear, for the price I think it is probably just as good or it would be tough to tell a difference between it or and Arc'teryx piece. Which I'm not paying 600 for a rain coat. I myself like the fabric, its quiet and comfortable to move around in a bit. Running their gear in a layer system it is nice to have the vents lined up with one another to unzip and cool off. So far through 1 season it has served me well.

The combination of using the raingear basically as a shell over my layers has really been a great change to my style of hunting. Its easy to not get so stoved up, everything is light and the biggest part is I no longer have a bulky jacket with me on top of everything.

Here's my layer list:

Early and Most of the season

32 Cool Active shirt
32 Cool Waffle LS Tee or Merino LS Tee
32 Cool Active Hoody or Heavy Weight Hoody
Midweight Quarter Zip Pull Over
32 Degree Down Vest
Puffy North Face Coat
M5 Series Gear

As you can see I'm not running a lot of high end shit but I say why when it's working for me. You can buy that 32 cool stuff all day long at Costco, or direct. A whole outfit costs less than 50 bucks.

Throughout the season I'll adjust and add or subtract things too but the M5 never leaves my pack.
Sounds like a great system!!!

Back