Highest elevation to find a shed

Doublecluck

I don’t know about y’all but for me finding a new moose shed is cool. Finding a set 60 yards apart is even cooler. Finding a set on a 9700 ft ridge was enough for me to ignore 5 screaming bulls for a few minutes to take a picture. 09832B14-92A7-4115-B419-8279EFE4C045.jpeg
What’s the highest elevation people have found sheds?

These were not particularly high elevation, maybe 5000ft, but well above treeline the only trees are in the bottom of the creek about 2000 below . Not much lives up here other than a few sheep in the summer/fall and caribou that pass through. Really not much of anything lives above 5500-6000 feet anywhere in AK even sheep. No vegetation... Most moose/caribou are in the 2000-4000 range. Caribou climb up to hit the windblown ridges in the early winter, before moving lower later in the winter. I've found a few elk and deer antlers in CO and MT in the 9500 range.

Picture 063.jpgPicture 071.jpg

I'd love to see a pic of that if you have one. That is the holy grail of deadheads for me.
Over the years I've found several buffalo skulls and parts of others.

Along with the one that I found in the creek bank near Leadville, I found another in North Park, CO, and another one about 10 miles from my home in Montana.
zW5FJJAm.jpg

Here's two on the side of my garage along with some elk sheds that I found near Boulder, CO when I was in college.
LMpwQuFm.jpg

This is the skull from the Buffalo that I shot. My taxidermist put fake horn sheaths on it, as the real sheaths are on my mount.
CTKtTf2m.jpg
WsYSiDvm.jpg

Found a sharp tipped mtn in new mexico a few years ago. Climbed it just because I like climbing. I topped out on the tiny crest looking around for a place to leave a marker and there was a nice 4pt shed. I guess he had a thing for views.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back