PEAX Equipment

High instep, high volume boots

howl

Most wide boots press down on the top of my foot. Most boots made of thicker material crease over the toe knuckles (I don't know the proper term) and pinch there.

I've had good enough fit from wide versions of older leather designs like Danner Super Rainforest and Alico hikers, but they always end life blown out at the sides around the toes. I generally wear Merrel Moabs around home.

I'm about to return Meindl Comfore Fit Hikers because of reasons stated above. Any suggestions for early season hunts and backpacking? Hard limit $500. Trying in store isn't really an option.

Schnees are on sale. I'm going to call and ask what they think after I get off the phone with Meindl. Lowa? Hanwag?

Kenetrek mountain extreme 400’s. I’m a 13w with a high instep. My sock combo is perfect! On my second pair.

I was going to call Kenetrek if Schnee's said nay. Ordered Schnee's Beartooth.

Schnee's said theirs are true to Brannock and probably OK for high volume. We'll see.

I had an email in to Lowa. They said Renegade is low volume, don't bother and in general their wide is only E, not EE. Others like Tibet may work if you go a half size up. Pretty sure lacing to compensate would be tight on instep.

I wouldn’t consider Schnee’s a high volume fit. Kennetreks yes. Probably Zamberlan wides and Hoffman wides.

I hate when people ask advice and then don't take any of it. Why even post?!

Tried Beartooth. Just painful and toe box cramped. Sent back.

Have Crispi Nevada here now. I only have one complaint but I think that'll break in.

I hate when people ask advice and then don't take any of it. Why even post?!

Tried Beartooth. Just painful and toe box cramped. Sent back.

Have Crispi Nevada here now. I only have one complaint but I think that'll break in.
Wish I would have seen your original post back when you posted it. My feet are similar to your based on your description, and I too found the Beartooths to be way too cramped. I tried Crispi Nevadas in wide, and they have been the best fitting boot I’ve ever worn. They are the only heavy boot (that I’ve tried) that worked well for my high arch/instep and extra-wide feet. I hope your experience is the same.

Wish I would have seen your original post back when you posted it. My feet are similar to your based on your description, and I too found the Beartooths to be way too cramped. I tried Crispi Nevadas in wide, and they have been the best fitting boot I’ve ever worn. They are the only heavy boot (that I’ve tried) that worked well for my high arch/instep and extra-wide feet. I hope your experience is the same.
Next time your looking try the hanwag alaskans, nice toe box and much higher quality than the crispis.

So I need to start by saying I am the worse shoe shopper. Nothing fits my feet and I never buy boots or shoes unless I try them on. It’s hard to find my size and some that are wide enough for my feet. I’m extremely picky about feel.

I have GOHUNT a shot since they try out the gear they sell. Salewa alp trainers were on sale and so I decided to gamble on them. They were perfect. I then bought the Rapace and mountain trainer, then the wildfire.

If you want a stiff boot with a decent toe box, the Rapace is your go-to. That boot will get hot though. If you want more flexibility and breathability, mountain trainer is the way to go.

I’m a size 13 and I wear thick darn tough socks with the Rapace. I don’t feel any claustrophobia in my feet. Gets a bit tight with a thick sock in the alp and mountain trainer, so I use them for warm weather with a thin sock.

Salewa has pretty poor customer service but their boots are top shelf IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back