Hey Randy 'Curley' is down!

shootxs

Hey Randy to bad you were all booked up for the busy mid september season. Here are a few pics of the Sheep hunt I wanted you to join us on. Enjoy and Ill get a story up shortly.
Zack
C:\Documents and Settings\anyone\My Documents\My Pictures\09Sheep 31858.jpg

go to your user page (click your name on the post) and set up an album, and download the pictures to it, then post them here.

....or "click" "Go Advanced" then "click" "Manage Attachments"; find your pic and "hit" enter.

C:\Documents and Settings\anyone\My Documents\My Pictures\09Sheep\09Sheep 31947.jpg

Or, provide us with your IP address, passwords for your machine, software, and credit cards and we can all just browse your "C:\Documents and Settings\" folders on your hard drive.

Well that was worth the wait!! Awesome Curley! Congrats on a heck of a ram!!

Zack - that is all you told me it would be. Just back from filming the NM archery elk hunt, so I regret that I could not make it to film that one. Looks like I missed out.

For those of you who don't know, Zack pretty much lives with these rams when he is not working. He is one of the most knowledgeable sheep guys around.

And a word of wisdom if he ever invites you to tag along. He is about 6' 3", 190 pounds, and can cruise the Breaks with the same speed and agility of these rams. Don't say, "You lead and I will follow." You will regret it.

His co-conspirator, Captain Bob, is about the same when it comes to this sheep stuff in the Breaks. They keep a pretty low profile, but are two of the funnest guys you with whom you will ever share a day in the field.

Got any other big ones that you are watching and have pics of?

I was asked in late June, by long time friend, the tag holder, Scott, if I could help him run down a good sheep for his hunt of a life time. Well heck ya!
You see last year one of my best friend drew the same tag, which he was able to fill with his bow, a 190 ram. A month later I was talked into going on another sheep hunt which is when I met Randy. I think, after being invited,I was as excited to go as Scott was. This sheep hunting stuff gets into your blood badly at least for me it has. I am by no means an expert, especially in 2 short seasons. I just enjoy spending as much time as my life will allow, watching sheep and trying to learn as much as I can about them.
About mid July I began making trips back into the country that I had, over the last year, became quite familiar with. It was great to meet up with all the old faces I had become so familiar with over the previous year. After showing Scott the area in late August, I was begining to worry a tad because up to this point I hadnt found any rams that jumped out at me, lots of low to mid 180's rams, but no sheep in the mid 190's, that I was on the search for. On the day after I had shown Scott the area I returned and decided to head in a direction that I had never been. On my way into this remote county I ran into the ram you see in the scouting pictures, Curly. After looking him over and taking a few pictures, crappy ones at that, I moved on. With plans on returning to the area to get another look.
Well, three more days in the same area and I wasnt able to locate Curly for the final inspection .
With camp set up in a not so choice area due to the four other hunting camps in the area, one being the lovely Governers tag. The pressure in the area had gone from near zero to being quite high. Two days before the opener Jimmy John, the Governers tag holder, got his sheep killed with a bow, a dandy none the less, the one that eluded him the previos year. With one big sheep out of the area it was time for the opener.
After having little luck getting my eyes on Curly again. The last day of scouting we decided that we should go try and find a ram, Stubby, in which hadnt seen since last season. Stubby was only 38-38.5" long last year but had major mass, 17"+, with the great growing conditions I felt that he may have grown up to reach the 40" mark, making him nock on the door of the 200" mark. No one had really been in the area the season before, so I felt it was worth a shot. In the morning I was able to locate a band of ten rams, at least 3 of the ten were rams that were running with Stubby from last year, but no Stubby. That evening I returned to the same area only one ridge to the north I was able to locate a ram at about dark but never got a good look at the ram before he dove off into the ruff in a southern direction, right where I was that morning.
With hopes high for opening morning the plan was to go to the same location that we had been the morning before and see if we could get a spot on the ram and look over anything else that may be in the area. The next morning before day break, the opener, we drove out to our ridge only to find an unexpected pickup sitting where we had plan on starting our hunt. Not cool, public land hunting I suppose, now what? With so many other hunters in the area we decided to make the best of a not so good opening morning. We decided to load up the pickup and take a big drive through the rest of the unit, look around and have fun.

More to come

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back