hey muskeg

lilbiggun

Have you ever thought about offering your services for a goat hunt? I know your a busy man and naturally not a free hunt. How does it work for guiding reasons, I mean how many clients can a guide guide at a time. I know I dont need a guide because of my residency but I'm looking for a reason to hunt goats in an area that I have never been in and without alot of people. Plus I know a few thugs from this site might be interested.

I don't know of any guide law that states how many hunters a Guide can take at once. There are many 2 hunter 1 guide options advertised.

It's how many Goats would you want to take out of any given area. Goat hunting is not conducive to a large base camp type hunt. The room is not there. Even physically it is diffacult to find a place for 2 or 3 one man tents most of the time. We usually max out a Beaver with 3 persons (hunter, guide, packer) and gear for one 10 day hunt. Beaver rates here are $500 per hour and it is usually at least 1.5 on each leg. Usually between $1500 and $2000 per hunt. Cubs do not work well in this country. On some flights you wish you would have called for the Turbin Otter (which we have @ $1000 per hr) because of weather. On multiple hunter hunts if one hunter takes a Goat early in the hunt a spendy meat flight is required. There are no such thing in this area as the drop style, daily check including meat flight type hunts like in the northern region.

Goat hunters need to have trained and be very prepared both physically and mentally for there hunt. Or most of the time they just don't make it.

There is one very special piece of equipment that is 'required reading' for my hunters and that is 'caulk' boots. The kind Loggers wear with the spikes on the bottom. Logger talk is 'Corks'. I send my hunters to Hoffman Boots there in ID to by a pair or have a pair made. Ed toribio here of Primo Expeditions says to his hunters plain and simple "you wanna go where I go? get corks."

The other gear you have for hunting in this country has to be water friendly. Tents must be high quality 4 season expidition type. When you pack up from a Goat lake for 4 to 8 hours to spike camp you must go light. In the end bringing a Goat cape, meat and gear out usually requires 2 or 3 loads off the top. A large Billy can be 250 to 300 lbs on the hoof. Just the boned out meat can be an overload. A full mount cape, which most hunters do, is also a full load.

These are just some of the reason we have the densest Goat population there is and the kill in a large area is very low. We see very few non-area AK residents coming in to hunt Goats. Actually very few local residents hunt Goat more that once.

Hope this answers some of your questions LBG.

Thanks Johnnie
I didnt know if there was a certain requirement about how many clients can be with 1 guide at a time.

I've heard of corks, just never thought of them for goat hunting. Sounds intersting and pretty useful in steep areas

http://community.webshots.com/s/image3/7/28/14/74372814KHUzVL_ph.jpg

The farthest south I have been is metlakala (sp) . I do not believe the sun exists below Yakutat
biggrin.gif
What tents and gear do you use? It rains alot around south central but it doesnt compare to you boys in the south.

The only successful goat hunt I was on was a mother%#@%. My buddies pack weighed 112lbs with just the critter. I carried his gear and mine so we can make it down in one trip. I got off easy at around 90lbs.

Back