MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Hey Antelope Experts

BiggWimm

Allright, I need help. I have never hunted antelope before, however, this year I drew a doe tag to wet my whistle. The area I am hunting holds lots of antelope, but they are heavily pressured. It is also extremely flat. My rangefinder, Leupold RX-750, is apparently incapable of ranging any distance over 250 yards in this terrain. I know that antelope are small, but apparently I can't get it right and I am wasting ammo. I am not the worlds greatest shot, but I am a good enough shot to recognize that I am guessing the wrong yardage. And yes, the gun is still sighted in. I was hoping that some of you gents on here might have some tips on how to judge distances on antelope.

Thanks.

What gun are you shooting? If you are shooting a flat shooting gun. Anything under 400 shouldn't be too bad, and that should be do able to get to that range.

Get a better rangefinder. I dropped the Leupold rangefinders I had a couple of years back and have not regretted the change at all. I know they make good stuff like scopes, binos, and spotters, but the rangefinders are not that great IMO.

Shooting a 300 WSM. I have shot a few critters as far as 600 yards (coyote), which is what has me so confused. With the snow on the ground I can't even see where the bullet is hitting, so I have absolutely no idea where I am hitting. I have changed my hold, from dead on to a foot high, not a clue.

Leupold and Vortex make great rangefinders IMO. We use both and have not had many problems at all. I would say though for Antelope hunting Vortex rangefinders are not the best due to the way that they range over 200yds. It makes it a bit difficult when there are no objects to range sometimes in the area of the Antelope if they are moving and you sometimes have to wait for the antelope to stop instead of being able to range in front of them to some areas so you can be prepared if they do stop for that 10 seconds and you dont have enough time to range and shoot.

If you are zeroed at 200 you should have to hold just over at 400 depending on load...but you should still not need a range finder out to 400...

Exactly my issue. I thought that I have been getting within about 400 yards. I thought...

I will say this, antelope are always further away than I had thought...they appear closer than they are...I'll admit they fool me, and I hunt them a lot.

Thanks for your help Braden. I am beginning to suspect this is very true.

For $375 the Leupold RX1000i TBR will do goats to 600, just did it last month. If i had $599, I would step up to the new Leica 1000R. Beam divergence is better on the Leica.
Wy has a Force Field that renders most rangefinders inoperable when pointed at Antelope. Saw it myself with Antelope on the side of a hill at +-300 yards and my trusty Bushnell returned ---- time after time.

What Scope and Reticle do you use on that rifle? There may be a rough range estimation system in the optic. With some math you could calc the distance to the Speed Goats. They are not as big as alot of people think. Top to bottom of chest on an antelope in my finding is about 12-14" I would have thought they were quite a bit bigger, but not in most cases. It makes judging distances more difficult.

I know your frustration! I missed a Mule Deer buck at 225yds in the snow 7 times about 10 years back. The wind was blowing and it was cold like -20F Cold. Scope got knocked off. Could never figure out where slugs were going.

As far as the Rangefinder. I used a Leupold for a few years, ended up picking up a Leica 1200. No rangefinder is perfect, and most rangefinders have a difficult time in Snow/Rain/Blowing snow. Don't give up on the rangefinder, lets see if there is a solution to get meat in the freezer this trip w/o having to run out for a new rangefinder!

ive got a nikon 1200 range finder,but remember ,just cause you see em you cant always get them,,,anything beyond 400yrds is a pretty good poke,,,a steady rest with a bog pod is about 400 yrds max,,beyond that you probly have to be really stedied up belly down,ground position w bipods.

Look for a Leica 900CRF, since there are 1200 and 1600 models the 900 can sometime be found for a song. I got one for me and my Dad for $225 and $250.

^^ This ^^

I have had one for over 10 years and I range game at incredible distances with mine and can't imagine hunting goats without it. Other rangfinders just don't stack up IMO.

ive got a nikon 1200 range finder,but remember ,just cause you see em you cant always get them,,,anything beyond 400yrds is a pretty good poke,,,a steady rest with a bog pod is about 400 yrds max,,beyond that you probly have to be really stedied up belly down,ground position w bipods.

I had a great prone rest on every shot. Even rechecked the gun and it is still sighted in. I am at a loss. I guess I just have more work to do guessing the range on those buggers.

What do you have for a scope and reticle on that rifle, we may be able to help find a range estimation solution with the reticle. It will not be 100% accurate, but it will be significantly more accurate than guessing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back