Here's a nice response from a US Senator

ShootsManyBullets

I received this response to my letters to Congress about my views on public lands. Below is the response I received from Jeff Merkley from Oregon. Did someone here write this for Senator Merkley b/c I thought it was pretty good?

Thank you for sharing your concerns about privatizing or transferring public lands to state governments or private interests. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

Public lands are a critical component of our nation’s history and legacy and deserve to be protected for future generations to come. They provide critical habitat to wildlife and access for hunting, fishing, and recreation. Public lands also help bolster our economy by creating jobs and opportunities in tourism and recreation.

I have heard from constituents who are concerned about efforts to sell, privatize, or otherwise transfer public lands to state and local governments. Many believe that this is just a back door attempt to pass public lands to private interests that would prevent public access and circumvent environmental protection laws. Others are concerned that state and local governments lack the resources to adequately care for the land, which could lead to mismanagement of fragile ecosystems. I agree with many of these concerns and oppose the transfer of public lands.
As you may know, members of the House of Representatives have approved a rule change that will make it easier to pass proposals that transfer public lands. This change exempts from consideration the revenue the federal government collects from public lands and the impact its loss would have on the nation’s debt and deficit. This is clearly an irresponsible rule change designed to avoid the real consequences of a bad policy idea.

Now that we have begun the 115th Congress, legislative proposals from previous Congresses to privatize or transfer public lands will need to be reintroduced. As a strong supporter of public lands, please know that I will oppose legislation that threatens our public lands and weakens environmental protections.

Should any public lands legislation come before the full Senate for debate, I will keep your views in mind. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me, and please continue to keep me informed about issues that concern you.
All my best,

Jeffrey A. Merkley
United States Senator

Good response. Democrats usually aren't too excited about selling or giving away our nations lands. Gotta get a few of those "R"s to change there mind.

I recieved a slightly mixed response from ID Sen. Crapo. While he says that he wants public land to remain public, and sites the need for all stakeholders to have a voice (which I support on almost every issue), his language also leaves quite a bit of wiggle room regarding who will ultimately control those lands and who will ultimately have the final say on the fate of our public spaces.

"Thank you for contacting me regarding the management and ownership of our public lands. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.
I agree with you that, put simply, public lands should remain public. Their values should be preserved and enhanced, and all Idahoans should be able to use and enjoy reasonable access to them. However, in too many cases the federal government is not doing a good job in managing lands under its ownership, and many Idahoans can point to specific examples they have personally experienced or witnessed.
State and federal lands management laws and processes too often drive us to conflict and litigation, and should be reformed to allow more participation-in and influence over management decisions by those closest to the land. State government, local officials and private stakeholders should be empowered to more meaningfully participate in the decision-making processes pertaining to our public lands. Outcomes from this collaborative, consensus building approach will be better for both the environment and the natural resource based economies of Idaho. These outcomes can result in administrative and/or legislative action on the public land in question. The Owyhee Initiative is an example of the kind of collaborative approach that respects the needs of all affected stakeholders by building on the knowledge that local communities have about the public lands that literally comprise their backyards.
The land management challenges facing Idaho and western states did not happen overnight. As such, it will take time, dedicated efforts and robust public participation to achieve the outcomes we all seek. I look forward to working with my colleagues in Congress to enact federal land management policies that maintain public access and ensure resilient, self-sustaining economies for our rural counties for years to come.
Again, thank you for contacting me. Please feel free to contact me in the future on this or other matters of interest to you. For more information about the issues before the U.S. Senate as well as news releases, photos, and other items of interest, please visit my Senate website, http://crapo.senate.gov."

I recieved a slightly mixed response from ID Sen. Crapo. While he says that he wants public land to remain public, and sites the need for all stakeholders to have a voice (which I support on almost every issue), his language also leaves quite a bit of wiggle room regarding who will ultimately control those lands and who will ultimately have the final say on the fate of our public spaces.

"Thank you for contacting me regarding the management and ownership of our public lands. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.
I agree with you that, put simply, public lands should remain public. Their values should be preserved and enhanced, and all Idahoans should be able to use and enjoy reasonable access to them. However, in too many cases the federal government is not doing a good job in managing lands under its ownership, and many Idahoans can point to specific examples they have personally experienced or witnessed.
State and federal lands management laws and processes too often drive us to conflict and litigation, and should be reformed to allow more participation-in and influence over management decisions by those closest to the land. State government, local officials and private stakeholders should be empowered to more meaningfully participate in the decision-making processes pertaining to our public lands. Outcomes from this collaborative, consensus building approach will be better for both the environment and the natural resource based economies of Idaho. These outcomes can result in administrative and/or legislative action on the public land in question. The Owyhee Initiative is an example of the kind of collaborative approach that respects the needs of all affected stakeholders by building on the knowledge that local communities have about the public lands that literally comprise their backyards.
The land management challenges facing Idaho and western states did not happen overnight. As such, it will take time, dedicated efforts and robust public participation to achieve the outcomes we all seek. I look forward to working with my colleagues in Congress to enact federal land management policies that maintain public access and ensure resilient, self-sustaining economies for our rural counties for years to come.
Again, thank you for contacting me. Please feel free to contact me in the future on this or other matters of interest to you. For more information about the issues before the U.S. Senate as well as news releases, photos, and other items of interest, please visit my Senate website, http://crapo.senate.gov."

Yours sound very similar to the one I received:hump:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the management and ownership of our public lands. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.
Again, thank you for contacting me. Please feel free to contact me in the future on this or other matters of interest to you. For more information about the issues before the U.S. Senate as well as news releases, photos, and other items of interest, please visit my Senate website, http://crapo.senate.gov.

Just got this crap from Scott Tipton today.
Thank you for taking the time to contact me about H.Res. 5, the Rules Package for the One Hundred Fifteenth Congress. This dialogue is important to me as your representative in Washington, and I appreciate your input.

H.Res. 5, introduced by Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, is a resolution that establishes the rules under which the House of Representatives will conduct its business during the duration of the 115th Congress. The House adopted the resolution on January 3rd, 2017.

This resolution did not provide any new authority to transfer land out of federal ownership. It provides essential updates to a convoluted process that the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) had previously used to estimate the cost of federal land conveyance. Responsible stewardship of our federal lands is one of my top priorities. I am committed and will continue to work to protect Colorado’s open spaces and scenic beauty.

Should any legislation relating to public lands come before the House of Representatives for a vote, please rest assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind.

As always, I welcome the opportunity to communicate with you regarding issues impacting Colorado. For your convenience, you may sign up to receive regular email updates from me on matters important to the 3rdCongressional District at http://tipton.house.gov. Please do not hesitate to contact my office if I can ever be of any assistance.

Sincerely,

Scott Tipton
Member of Congress
Very vague response that simply states he will "keep your thoughts in mind." Don't care for him at all.

I get the same back from Rep. Steve Pearce R-NM
Thank you for the letter....as you know the deficit.......regulations have stopped.....Gotta Use Them Lands For Business,business knows best,Trust me I have your best interests at heart.Now Eff Off BS.
Not one mention on the ? of his direct position on TSL,for or against.

Good response. Democrats usually aren't too excited about selling or giving away our nations lands. Gotta get a few of those "R"s to change there mind.

Here is Ron Johnson...he is a fool and a Republican from my state of Wisconsin. He is blaming the forestry and trying to get them to get more "volunteers" as opposed to funding them properly. In my state they are gutting the DNR and making things worse, unless you are a big industry in which case its a fire sale you can take advantage of. Fact: Republicans are bad for public land. That is a roll call, law passing, fact.

Dear Fean,

Thank you for contacting me regarding your concern for the preservation of our national parks and forests.

Wisconsin is home to 16 million acres of heavily wooded land with many trails running throughout the forested area. Unfortunately, only about a quarter of trails nationwide are adequately maintained. This is why I cosponsored the National Forest Trails Stewardship Act, S.1110. The House of Representatives companion bill, H.R. 845, was signed into law on Nov. 28, 2016. This law directs the U.S. Forest Service to develop a strategic plan to increase the role of volunteers in trail maintenance. It will empower outdoor recreational enthusiasts and conservationists to maintain the trails they enjoy while providing a great service for the Forest Service.

Thank you again for contacting my office. It is very helpful to hear the views of the constituents I serve. To date, my office has received more than 2,000,000 letters, emails and phone calls. My mission is to provide information to as many people as possible concerning the enormous financial and cultural challenges facing America.

Please see my website at www.ronjohnson.senate.gov for additional information. It is an honor representing you and all the people of Wisconsin.

Sincerely,

Ron Johnson
United States Senator

Here is Ron Johnson...he is a fool and a Republican from my state of Wisconsin. He is blaming the forestry and trying to get them to get more "volunteers" as opposed to funding them properly. In my state they are gutting the DNR and making things worse, unless you are a big industry in which case its a fire sale you can take advantage of. Fact: Republicans are bad for public land. That is a roll call, law passing, fact.

Dear Fean,

Thank you for contacting me regarding your concern for the preservation of our national parks and forests.

Wisconsin is home to 16 million acres of heavily wooded land with many trails running throughout the forested area. Unfortunately, only about a quarter of trails nationwide are adequately maintained. This is why I cosponsored the National Forest Trails Stewardship Act, S.1110. The House of Representatives companion bill, H.R. 845, was signed into law on Nov. 28, 2016. This law directs the U.S. Forest Service to develop a strategic plan to increase the role of volunteers in trail maintenance. It will empower outdoor recreational enthusiasts and conservationists to maintain the trails they enjoy while providing a great service for the Forest Service.

Thank you again for contacting my office. It is very helpful to hear the views of the constituents I serve. To date, my office has received more than 2,000,000 letters, emails and phone calls. My mission is to provide information to as many people as possible concerning the enormous financial and cultural challenges facing America.

Please see my website at www.ronjohnson.senate.gov for additional information. It is an honor representing you and all the people of Wisconsin.

Sincerely,

Ron Johnson
United States Senator

I once e-mailed Ron Johnson about public lands and received a canned response that was basically a rant about Obamacare and had nothing to do with public lands. I should try and dig it up from my junk e-mail. I'm thinking one of his staffers sent me the wrong canned response.

In the great state of Missouri we are lucky to be represented by senators from both sides of the aisle. I wrote Senator McCaskill and Blunt about our public lands earlier this month and Blunt didn't even bother to respond. Senator McCaskill (whom I've disagreed with on many things) had a nice response. I will cut her some slack going forward. Blunt is in too deep with the oil barons, he might as well come right out and say "sell baby sell!!"

Dear Mr. Cass,

Thank you for contacting me regarding our environment and natural resources. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

Like you, I am concerned about ensuring responsible stewardship of our environment. As you may know, Missouri is home to ten National Wildlife Refuges, more than eighty state parks and historic sites, and countless local parks and recreation areas. As a young girl, I grew up spending time with my father in Missouri's Mark Twain National Forest, and I have many fond memories of those times. Now, as your Senator, I have and will continue to work to enhance and preserve our nation's natural beauty and environmental quality, so that such memories may be possible for future generations.

To this end, I support the responsible promotion of clean, renewable energy and energy efficiency innovation. A broad strategy of investment in clean, renewable energy technologies and efficiency programs will help secure America's energy independence, improve air quality, and protect our environment. I have previously supported several key tax credits designed to boost the production and use of renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies. This includes renewable energy production tax credits, which ensure that energy generation from sources like solar, wind, geothermal, and biomass continues to develop. I have also previously supported extending a number of energy efficiency programs such as residential energy efficiency improvements, energy efficient appliances, and energy-efficient home construction that will provide our nation a more sustainable future. Many of these provisions were once again included in a tax package that was passed by the Senate at the end of 2015.

As our nation continues to invest in renewable energy and energy efficiency, it is also far past time for us to eliminate the unnecessary subsidies being paid out to the largest oil companies. In the past decade, the five largest oil companies made an astounding $1 trillion in profits. Despite this enormous figure, U.S. taxpayers continue to provide more than $2 billion in subsidies for the largest oil companies each year. That is why I cosponsored the Close Big Oil Tax Loopholes Act in the 113th Congress. This legislation would have ended these wasteful subsidies, valued at $24 billion over 10 years, and importantly, invest the savings in deficit reduction. While this legislation failed to pass, I will continue to support legislation that promotes an equal playing field for all forms of domestic energy development.

I have also worked with my colleagues to protect water quality for recreation, wildlife habitats, and to preserve the quality of life we have come to enjoy. In February 2014, I voted in support of the Agricultural Act of 2014 (H.R.2642). Also known as the Farm Bill, this legislation promotes land and water conservation and reauthorizes several important conservation programs, such as the Grassroots Source Water Protection Program, to help prevent water pollution and ensure water quality. While I am disappointed it took over two years to pass this legislation due to obstructionism by Republicans in the House of Representatives, I am pleased that this important legislation has now been signed into law.

Finally, I am also working to advance the protection of public lands. I am a cosponsor of the Bipartisan Sportsmen's Act of 2015 (S.405). The Sportsmen's Act is anchored in Missouri values like hunting, fishing, and conservation and will help preserve our state's outdoor heritage for future generations. I have also supported efforts to reauthorize programs like the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF), which uses oil and gas royalties to protect some of our nation's most significant historic and cultural landscapes. The LWCF has been instrumental in protecting some of our country's most unique landmarks including the Grand Canyon, Gettysburg National Military Park, and Missouri's own Mark Twain National Forest. This popular program expired at the end of September 2015. However, in December 2015 this vital conservation program was extended for an additional three years.

We must continue to seek innovative and responsible solutions to enhance and preserve our environment, by investing in energy efficiency, renewable technologies, conservation measures, and other responsible policies. I look forward to continuing to work to address these issues.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance to you on this or any other issue.

Sincerely,

Claire McCaskill
United States Senator

Back