Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Here comes the New Muzzy season Montana.

shoots-straight

Muzzy season bill

So this thing adds another 9 days to the General season. Guys you want to use your Muzzy there's opportunities here without adding more time to our already long seasons, and during the 5 long weeks of general, can't you take that Muzzy for a walk then? The resource is Maxed out.

Unreal.

Is this “traditional” muzzleloaders like you see in civil war movies or modern ones like Gunwerks makes?

I read the bill I just don’t know anything about them so I don’t know what the terms mean

Last edited:
Unreal.

Is this “traditional” muzzleloaders like you see in civil war movies or modern ones like Gunwerks makes?

I read the bill I just don’t know anything about them so I don’t know what the terms mean
I do believe that it's traditional Muzzleloaders. No inline.

Traditional.

Solid lead projectile. No sabot. No optic. Most modern form of ignition allowed is percussion cap. 200 yards would be a reasonable maximum range (most would probably say even that is much too far for a traditional muzz).

At a minimum, it’s 9 more days the wildlife will be harasssed, after an already very long season. Although I’m more in the boat of wtf Montana. Deer and elk quality could be so much better in Montana, but they seem to just want to kill them all instead.

Cue incoming lawsuit that the weapon restrictions are discriminatory towards older people from MT’s favorite van driver

I’m sure he’s all over this new season so he can sit in his truck/mobile ground blind all day waiting for something to step out

Sometimes we throw a large blanket over everything and say we have a 5 week season.
You know that's wrong, right?
There are people/hunters out starting in September and runs till mid-March and starts again in April. I think adding 9 days is not a big thing adding stress to the animals. AS LONG as it is AFTER general season I'm all over it.

Sometimes we throw a large blanket over everything and say we have a 5 week season.
You know that's wrong, right?
There are people/hunters out starting in September and runs till mid-March and starts again in April. I think adding 9 days is not a big thing adding stress to the animals. AS LONG as it is AFTER general season I'm all over it.
There's shoulder seasons, mainly on private lands. You don't think that more pressure in mid Decembers not going to make that situation worse? More pressure regardless is more pressure.

What is the sponsors motivation? Are they from Pennsylvania and have fond memories of the late traditional muzzleloader season there?

I just don’t understand why this is even proposed. If you want to use a traditional muzzleloader for deer or elk go right ahead! Or inline muzzleloader. Or bow. Or mandatory buckskin pants season. Or whatever. Mentally carve out a week of the general season and tell yourself it’s whatever season you want, but it doesn’t need to be longer to accomplish that.

Cue incoming lawsuit that the weapon restrictions are discriminatory towards older people from MT’s favorite van driver

I’m sure he’s all over this new season so he can sit in his truck/mobile ground blind all day waiting for something to step out
Unless he changed equipment, MT’s favorite van driver was a whiz bang in-line user.

How does a guy find a legislator to carry a bill for him? I am thinking a me, myself, and, I rifle season for five days in September would be a great addition to the season structure.
You already have that, you just have to be ok with not seeing any ungulates. ;) Montana, the land of opportunity.

You already have that, you just have to be ok with not seeing any ungulates. ;) Montana, the land of opportunity.
Don't be silly. Everyone knows that non-native woofs have eaten all the game in those areas of opportunity. My "bill of opportunity" will be for a season on deeded property owned by the Wilkes Bros. Or on land owned by NR Californians.

Surely, that's just and reasonable.

Don't be silly. Everyone knows that non-native woofs have eaten all the game in those areas of opportunity. My "bill of opportunity" will be for a season on deeded property owned by the Wilkes Bros. Or on land owned by NR Californians.

Surely, that's just and reasonable.
Ok, your plan is better.

Well, IMO, its as funny, as it is hypocritical, to listen to the same people whine about another 9 days just "being too much" when there's 11 weeks of brown its down. Shoulder seasons from August 15-Feb. 15. Youth deer hunt sandwiched between archery and rifle, and another day added for a Saturday opener, rather than the traditional Sunday opener. Oh, forgot about all the late whitetail archery hunts too, and the extensions for CWD "control".

Opportunity at all costs, remember? Why change now just because its a muzzleloader?

Well, IMO, its as funny, as it is hypocritical, to listen to the same people whine about another 9 days just "being too much" when there's 11 weeks of brown its down. Shoulder seasons from August 15-Feb. 15. Youth deer hunt sandwiched between archery and rifle, and another day added for a Saturday opener, rather than the traditional Sunday opener. Oh, forgot about all the late whitetail archery hunts too, and the extensions for CWD "control".

Opportunity at all costs, remember? Why change now just because its a muzzleloader?
About as funny as listening to you repeat the same shit, I recon.

About as funny as listening to you repeat the same shit, I recon.
Pointing out the hypocrisy of Montana hunters supporting every season extension brought up, and participating in same for 6 months out of the year, then whining about 9 more days being just "too much".

Where's the bill from the concerned residents to reduce archery to the month of September?

Where's the bill from the concerned residents hunters to chop 2 weeks off mule deer hunting in late November?

Crickets....

What is the sponsors motivation? Are they from Pennsylvania and have fond memories of the late traditional muzzleloader season there?

I just don’t understand why this is even proposed. If you want to use a traditional muzzleloader for deer or elk go right ahead! Or inline muzzleloader. Or bow. Or mandatory buckskin pants season. Or whatever. Mentally carve out a week of the general season and tell yourself it’s whatever season you want, but it doesn’t need to be longer to accomplish that.
I'd point your argument more to the inlines - let them tote their rifle in general season. Traditional muzzleloaders were originally why muzzy seasons were instituted, recognizing the handicap just as bowhunters were recognized. A 75-100 yard hunting tool (iron sights, PRB) is a handicap - suppository loaded black powder inline with a scope ain't much handicap.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back