Help planning an elk hunt

gouch

OK here’s the deal. My Buddy and I have been hunting elk our whole lives here in the brush of Western Oregon. We got to talking the other day and decided that now that we are retired it might be fun to try something a little different. A hunt in the Rockies. Maybe someone out there can help us out with this. What we’re looking for is a spot and stalk rifle hunt in Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, Utah or maybe New Mexico or Arizona, I hear there are some nice bulls in New Mexico and Arizona. It has to be an OTC hunt because we don’t want to spend a lot of time and money applying for tags we’re probably not going to get anyway. We want it to be someplace with very light hunting pressure and a high density of elk. This is important because to many people just ruin everything and if there aren’t a lot of elk, then what’s the point. There has to be a good chance of getting a 300 in. bull and fair to midland chance at a 350 bull. I mean this is probably going to be a one time thing so if we’re going to do this we might as well get a big one, right. Now we don’t mind hiking a bit to get a shot at one but those suckers are big and very heavy so it needs to be somewhere we can get the UTV in to haul It out. Or at least get to within a couple of hundred feet if the ground is kind of flat. Now this hunt can’t be a late season hunt because we hear it gets kind of cold up in them hills during the late season. Lows in the 40’s at night are fine but much colder than that is just plain miserable and I don’t like a lot of wind either. I hate chasing my hat around all day. Now don’t get me wrong we’re not asking for anyone’s honey hole or anything like that but GPS coordinates of any place you have killed a nice one or even seen a lot of big bulls would be really handy.

Thanks in advance for any info. I almost forgot, if we could double up with, say, a Big Horn sheep hunt or something that would be great. You know maybe someplace we can spend a day or two hunting from the truck. Thanks again.

Don't have anything to offer about the other areas but NM does not offer OTC elk tags. It is draw only. However, it is also not a preference point state so you have the same chance of drawing as everyone else.

Only place where you got a good chance at OTC I think is Colorado. In Wyoming, nonresidents have to apply for a general where residents can buy them OTC. My recommendation is go for the draw and put in for area you want for 1st choice then areas you are more likely to draw for 2nd and 3rd. I am primarily a meat hunter so I am not that picky as long as I know I will see some elk where I hunt.

Deleted. Mom always told me if you can't say anything good don't say anything at all.

Last edited:
My thoughts for those who don't like this post, why do you respond at all. The assumption that everyone has the same level of experience is flat out wrong and hurtful to the hunting community as a whole. Hunting numbers per capita is way down from what it was in my younger days. We need to recruit more people into shooting and hunting or people who are against it will succeed in restricting it or even banning some of what we do now. If you can't be helpful, it's really best not to respond at all.

My thoughts for those who don't like this post, why do you respond at all. The assumption that everyone has the same level of experience is flat out wrong and hurtful to the hunting community as a whole. Hunting numbers per capita is way down from what it was in my younger days. We need to recruit more people into shooting and hunting or people who are against it will succeed in restricting it or even banning some of what we do now. If you can't be helpful, it's really best not to respond at all.

You raise a good point, although if I may... "We need to recruit more people millennials into shooting and hunting"

Babyboomers don't matter at this point, teaching kids is great but kids don't control their own time and can't take themselves hunting, the biggest focus needs to be on adult onset hunters between 22 - 35 who have the time to learn the sport and take it up, and then have and teach their own kids.

Doug, I'm quite certain the OP wrote that all up as another joke and jab at those that write similar things in a less blunt way than he did. I highly doubt gouch actually is expecting all the info he asked for nor would he use it himself if someone was so kind to offer up the one spot on this planet that such a magical place actually exists - Way to go gouch, you managed to give us all something to do today ;)

It's funny, but my first post ever on this forum was on par with this, minus a lot of the requirements. I think you are allowed one of these posts as a new member of HuntTalk. Don't forget to copy and paste to RokSlide too!!

It is intimidating planning your first DIY western hunt and does feel comforting to get some feedback from people who have done it before. No matter how much info you get one these sites, actually going on the hunt is the most beneficial.

No, the funny part isn't the OP, it's all the people who take the bait on the running gag! Special thanks to WyoDoug, Rzrbk918 - you made my day

Thanks in advance for any info. I almost forgot, if we could double up with, say, a Big Horn sheep hunt or something that would be great. You know maybe someplace we can spend a day or two hunting from the truck. Thanks again.
Should be no problem drawing two sheep tags; heck, with any luck, you can get them from a truck without even putting it into 4x4. But if you're going out west, I STRONGLY recommend you also pick up some jackalope and unicorn tags. Jackalope are all over the place in Wyoming, and I can't remember the time I was able to drive a county road in Montana without having to wipe unicorn snot off the windshield. You shouldn't even need any points!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back