Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Help me pick a hunt

Huntin_GI

So I have 7 days off starting the 16th of Nov 2020. I live in Colorado and will be hunting the week of muzzleloader season during September. With the 7 days off in November I’m conflicted about the type of hunt I should try to put together.

Colorado is the only state I have points in. I was figuring an out of state hunt would offer the most adventure.
Any recommendations? Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetail? Preferably big game. I’m leaning toward either NM or ID but realize at that time of year south is better.

Montana general deer and elk season will be in that time of year. A Big Game Combo license would allow you to hunt elk, deer, or whitetails (in most places) with a rifle

Lots of seasons still going in Wyoming that time of year as well.

I dont know too awful much about NM tags but I do know that its a random drawing with non residents without guides getting a very small cut of them so its not a place you can depend on being able to go and hunt

That's the best time of year to chase whitetails in my opinion. I would look into chasing deer in eastern CO, KS, or OK. As stated about NM it probably isn't the best choice. If you find a NM hunt that fits your schedule and you wanna try go ahead and apply just make sure you have a backup plan as your chances of drawing a decent non resident unguided tag aren't great.

You won't be able to gun hunt mule deer in NM that late in November, deer hunts are generally the last week of Oct and the first week of Nov. Im also unaware of any Elk hunts that late open to NR. Not sure about Idaho but whitetail in Kansas, Oklahoma, and other states in the midwest is awesome this time of year. Bucks are rutting and chasing in the daylight. Our gun season starts here on Saturday and last week I had this monster at 78 yards me sitting with a bow. Awesome time of year.

IMG_8015.jpg

Pick somewhere you have never been in CO and spend your days off there. Most efficient and plenty of adventure. Closer to home so more time hunting less time driving. You have a plethora of opportunities in your home state for a fraction of the cost going elsewhere.

You won't be able to gun hunt mule deer in NM that late in November, deer hunts are generally the last week of Oct and the first week of Nov. Im also unaware of any Elk hunts that late open to NR. Not sure about Idaho but whitetail in Kansas, Oklahoma, and other states in the midwest is awesome this time of year. Bucks are rutting and chasing in the daylight. Our gun season starts here on Saturday and last week I had this monster at 78 yards me sitting with a bow. Awesome time of year.

View attachment 120343
Wow that is a great looking buck!!!

View attachment 120343
swap you a tahr hunt for a go at this fella with rifle or cbow

November smells a lot like Whitetail Rut. If you're interested in Idaho, North Idaho is a great option for Whitetail. Over the counter tags (buy early, they sell out), lots of public land and big blocks of timber company land (that is accessible). It is thick timber country and not a cornfield hunt, but it is a lot of fun, and that time of year can be very productive.
If you get serious about it, let me know and I can provide a bit of direction.

As said above, if WTs interest you that is PRIME rut time. A lot of the midwestern states have gun seasons during that period and reasonable NR tag prices. Your issue will be access. Being from IN I will say that public land during firearms season is "interesting".....not for me. Also, several of those states have gun seasons that do NOT include high powered rifles. Some shotgun and ML only, some allow pistol/straight wall cartridge rifle, some (like MI) have a mix based on area of the state. Lots of opportunity to be sure :)

Grew up hunting white tails and have been on a few Ohio whitetail hunts that time of year. Problem I’ve always encountered with the whitetail hunts is access.

NM had 4 non resident muzzloader hunts at that time of year with draw odds in the 12-25% range. That being said apparently that’s a tough hunt with the elk being in their hideaways or private by that point. Had considered an eastern CO whitetail hunts but again access and limited public was the initial concern.
If anyone would want to swap a hunt I wouldn’t be opposed to that. I’m still narrowing down my unit selection for the mid September hunt but anticipate it being a muzzloader expedition unless things change to archery equipment.

In yalls experience, would weather that time of year prevent you from entertaining the MT, WY, or ID hunts?

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back