Help explain to me.......

Stubaby

I'm looking at the regs online. It says that 2836 people put in for 900-20 and 2385 were successful putting in for it as thier first choice. That's 84.10%. How then is anybody able(which they do) draw as their second choose?

Are non-resident applicants scewing the stats? How do we know as residents what our odds really are as a second choice put in for this area?

I'm used to building rifle points and getting this as my second choice. Last year I was one of the odd ones out. I just want to know what the odds are and when it's time to be putting in this as a first choice. Anybody have more info than my tiny brain?

Download the deer/elk Excel spreadsheet from their website. It has all of that broken out. Last year, the second choice odds were about 45% for residents.

The draw odds had the quota listed at 3700. 11 landowner tags to both resident and NR, 2006 residents put in 1st choice and all were successful. 357 First choice NR were successful out of a possible quota of 370. That gets your 2385 people that were successful as their 1st choice. Leaving 1315 tags for residents to fight over amongst the 2nd choice. 2723 people listed it as second choice giving them a 48.3% chance of drawing as second choice.

Can tell you that I got burned on the second choice this year... had to watch several good bulls walk while I filled the freezer with a couple skinheads.

Thanks for the info.

Not having this tag in my pocket last year made me feel like the fat girl at the prom. 😩

I am betting that a lot more people put in first choice archery this year instead of putting in first for the rifle tag and 2nd for the archery. Could make the rife odds better.

I am betting that a lot more people put in first choice archery this year instead of putting in first for the rifle tag and 2nd for the archery. Could make the rife odds better.

Count me in that crowd. I've pretty much resolved to make this my first choice elk tag for the foreseeable future. I've drawn six limited entry rifle elk tags since 2004. If I never draw another rifle elk tag in MT, I've drawn more than my share. This archery tag is a better hunt than a lot of tags that take me 5+ points in other states. I'm not going to take the chance of not getting this MT archery tag and gambling on a rifle tag.

I hope you all draw your rifle tags this year. Just give me this archery tag.

How much pressure do you see in archery season on a 900 tag compared to some of the breaks units? If the main difference the number of units the tag allows you to hunt?

I don't know about the breaks but you will not be alone on the Custer during the middle of September

It's just a stupid archery tag.......

IMO archery tags for elk and deer should be OTC statewide.

I would also like to see an archery only area for Mule Deer in Montana. That would be sweet. Or maybe something like the last three weeks of the season for deer go to archery only. We don't elk during the mating season with rifles in Montana so why hammer the deer when they are getting it on?

Please don't answer that. I know I'm in the minority and all, but I would be ok with some modifications to see more deer overall and more mature versions of the ones I do see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back