Help! Erratic broadhead flight

What are the specs on your bow, arrows, BH? If different BH do it, then it’s either you, arrows or bow. Could be something as simple draw length a little too long. Do the numbered arrows impact in the same place each time, or are they random as well?

I found that my broadheads were not flying true to my field points.
I used to go for maximum cutting diameter, but found that those are the ones that plane the most. I also found that many cheaper broadheads are not accurate on their weight. When I stretched beyond 40 this year it became obvious I had broadhead problems.
G5 Montec, and wacum both flew true. I only use fixed broadheads to retain maximum pass through. I plan on sticking with the G5.

Here's a quick list, based on what I suffered through for some time getting my current setup where I want it.

1) Grip. I thought I had a great grip with no torque. I was wrong/humbled and it took me some time to correct. This would relate to Golfer's post #6.
2) Arrow speed. I have to keep mine around 280 fps. I finally upgraded to a new bow around 2012 - and of course I got a fast one (Bear Motive 6, I think the IBO speed is around 340). My initial speeds were between 300 and 315 (trying a few different arrows). I had great groups out to 60 with field points. Put on some fixed broadheads and it was a mess.

The biggest thing for me was to switch to a heavier arrow setup. My current arrows total out at 530 gr. Carbon express Piledrivers 250 cut at 28.25", 100 gr heads with an additional 40 gr (using the Gold-tip weights you can screw in the back of the insert). I like the max-stealth vanes and have done 3 vane, 3 vane with offset and 4 vane. Some of the BH's liked 4 vane better - but then I was getting pretty picky on my groups, once I started having success.

The heavier arrows quiet my bow down and I have always had pass-through's with the setup. I've been thinking about switching arrows, mainly due to durability at the front end, but haven't taken the time yet and I'm very happy with the accuracy of my current setup.

I have had this issue many MANY times and have never fully "solved" it. My best guess is that it's some part of my form, and the field tips are able to overcome my flaw and the BH aren't.

I know that's 100% not helpful, but it can be a reality.

What are the specs on your bow, arrows, BH? If different BH do it, then it’s either you, arrows or bow. Could be something as simple draw length a little too long. Do the numbered arrows impact in the same place each time, or are they random as well?
I'm wondering the same thing

I'm wondering the same thing
different broadheads don’t make a difference. The pro shop guy watched me shoot and didn’t see any issues. Ive been bow hunting 13 years and never had an issue. got a new bow this spring. 29.5 draw, vap tko arrows 300 spine. 100 grain broadhead with 50 grain outsert. 442 total weight with head. 284 fps through chrono. 70# prime ct3

I would walk back tune the broadheads. Shoot with your 20 pin from 10,30,40,50 yards. Do they start staggering off to a side? They should be in a vertical line.

I would walk back tune the broadheads. Shoot with your 20 pin from 10,30,40,50 yards. Do they start staggering off to a side? They should be in a vertical line.
no…if i go back to 30 my arrow will be in the next county. it’s bad. Just noticed this wear on my rest which only has prly 300 arrows through it. throwing my old whisker biscuit on. going to paper tune and shoot it to eliminate the rest.

Attachments

• BFC1201C-C2D9-4810-8A8F-69B99BCF78DA.jpeg
    BFC1201C-C2D9-4810-8A8F-69B99BCF78DA.jpeg
    800.4 KB · Views: 11
If the bh spin true and you say it's tunes. Check for fetching contact

Gut says it's that or bent arrows or misaligned heads

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member