Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Help! Erratic broadhead flight

nontyp

My bow is tuned and shoots great with field points. Screw some broadheads on and it looks like a knuckleball pitcher. any ideas?

Ive tried a couple brands and they do the same thing.

Start with your arrows. I square all my inserts then spin BH. When that’s done, I tune my bow.

First, check for hand torque both at the grip and at the release. If that’s good you can make little adjustments to your rest or nock point. Move one thing at a time.

It’s probably either not truly tuned, or it’s a grip torque issue. Are they grouping consistently in a different spot than field points or are they all over the place?
All over the place. had it at the pro shop yesterday. shoots bullet holes in paper. I can group field points really good at 50 without an issue. it’s really puzzling.

I guess i should have started testing broadheads sooner.

All over the place. had it at the pro shop yesterday. shoots bullet holes in paper. I can group field points really good at 50 without an issue. it’s really puzzling.

My bow was giving me fits at the beginning of the summer too, turns out it had gotten just a little out of tune, probably due to a new string stretching slightly. Broadheads made the issues really apparent.

The random grouping is weird. I’d probably walk back tune with your broadheads starting really close.

Have someone stand behind you when you shoot and check for torque.

And like JLS said, look at your arrows. Spin them, make sure that you don’t have a spine issue.

Did they tune it to you or the guy at the shop?

My bow is tuned and shoots great with field points. Screw some broadheads on and it looks like a knuckleball pitcher. any ideas?

Ive tried a couple brands and they do the same thing.
What brands have you tried?

What brands have you tried?
qad exodus and viper tricks. Do you guys think it could be a fletching issue? my fletchings are pretty low profile.

Attachments

• 9187338C-93F5-4A11-BA42-F811A8D497FF.jpeg
    9187338C-93F5-4A11-BA42-F811A8D497FF.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
I use AAE fletching (their equivalent to Blazers) with a pretty strong offset. No issues with BH flight at all.

qad exodus and viper tricks. Do you guys think it could be a fletching issue? my fletchings are pretty low profile.
Gonna have to either powder the vanes up. How’s it look from the rear on the string?

I fixed my broadhead issues by going to high profile vanes fletched hard helical. This is after tuning my bow, my arrows, and grip.

Now I'm getting good and consistent flight out to 70. Once I hit 80 the combo of fixed blades and my lack of skill start to open the groups up. Prior to the switch I was hitting this wall at 40/50yds

Back in the day I got my hands on a copy of Eastons " How to papertune your bow" or something like that. Using that I have never had a problem getting bullet holes with both field or broadheads. Muzzy 4 blades are my choice. Start by papertuning your broadheads. The paper tear will give you an indication of where to start.

First check cam timing. Are your draw stops if it's a dual cam bow hitting or stopping at the same time. You will need somebody to watch you draw the bow for this. Then make sure you are spined properly. Then check center shot on your rest. Make sure your heads aren't catching on any felt from your rest or shelf.

This is probably an obvious question but are your broadheads the same grain weight as your field points? Straight fletching could be contributing.
yep same grain weight. my 3 degree helicals shoot the same.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back