Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Help choosing Caliber

lenny4077

I just won a Browing Hells Canyon Speed rifle in a BHA drawing. Right now it's a 6.5 PRC, and I'm not sure I want to keep that. I hunt northern MN every year for deer and our shots vary rarely get past 100yds. The last handful of deer were less than 50 yds. I do hunt WY every few years when we get tags for antelope amd mule deer, but I don't shoot past 300yds. We don't have anywhere around here to practice that far so I just don't feel comfortable shooting an animal that far. I do have a handful of elk points built up, but I also have a 7mm for that hunt. Once I burn my points, I'll be cow hunting as much as I can. I also have a .308 for my kids and I'm really leaning towards getting the new gun in a .308 as well. It should have plenty of power for what we need, be light enough to carry around, and I already have shells for it. Plus they are cheap, and seem to always be available. We really only shoot a handful of shells a year, 3 or 4 at a target, then 1 at an animal. We might use up a box on out trips to WY just to make sure nothing changed on the drive out. Just looking to make sure my thought process isn't all messed up.

It’s not my favorite but in your situation a 308 seems most practical, one less thing to hunt down ammo for.

I’d have to get it in 25-06, 270, or 7-08 if you lean short action. Just personal preference, they’ll all kill deer!

Start over with your thinking. special rifle special cartridge! What have you always though about but never got? Thats where I would go. Sounds like you already have your base's covered for what you need, now get what you want just because you want it!

Waited a number of years to convince myself to get what I wanted but finally got it, 6.5x06. have killed a number of deer with it and three elk. Near as I could tell all were just as dead as if they had been shot with something else!

It isn't on your list and no one else mentioned it, but you could go with a 6.8 Western too. You could use it for anything you describe. It would be more gun than you need in MN for Whitetail, but so is your 7mm Rem Mag. It would have a shorter barrel and weigh slightly less than your 7mm. It would be a 1:7.5 twist rate (v 1:10), too. Ammo choices would be less and probably cost more at least for the time being. More than adequate for the under 300 yds range that you specified. It depends on what you want to do with it and what your budget can afford.

You will need a scope too. Check out the Leopold Firedots. You can't go wrong.

Personally, I would keep the 6.5 PRC, but I can't argue your liking of the 308 and love my 308 too. Keeping it simple with all family members has the benefit of simplifying ammo purchases and unless you reload and sometimes in this day and age if you do 6.5 PRC is not easy to get while 308, at least where I live, is on the shelves in abundance. Best of luck in whatever you choose and congrats on the drawing!

First off, congrats on the rifle win! I've heard good things about the Brownings. I have a 6.5 PRC and really like it. It would work fine for you; the only negative might be ammo cost and availability. The recoil is a bit more in a light rifle, but not a big concern.
I don't see any problem with the .308 if you want to keep things simple with ammo supply on hand.
If you want to try something new and that the kids might enjoy, the 6.5 cm is a pleasure to shoot and more than capable for your needs. Ignore the manbun talk, ammo is cheap and available. My 6.5 CM is a tack driver and I've taken a bunch of deer and pigs with no terminal performance issues.
Can't go wrong with 7mm-08, would be a fine choice as well.

My dad has the 6.5 CM with a break on it. Had to have a pacemaker implanted after a heart attack and switched from left hand to right hand rifle. The recoil from his 7mm would have been too much to shoot anymore. Its a fun gun to shoot with hardly any kick. I like the thought of the 6.5 PRC, and 6.8 Western, but worried about getting shells anytime soon, or in 10 years if the calibers don't take off. Another thing is, I could see my kids messing up and switching ammo with the 308 (they're good kids, but don't pay a whole lot of attention sometimes).

I stopped up at Scheels and they didn't have one in a 308, so I might end up with the 6.5 anyways. They dont have any 6.5 PRC shells and don't know when they will come in. The sales rep was also waiting on shells for the PRC as well. I'm considering trading the new gun in for either a Tikka T3x Lite or a used Winchester Model 100 they do have, but eventually I think I'll be getting my grandpa's old 100. There's just too many choices out there...

What I really want a good hunting rifle that can get wet, and not turn to rust overnight, and is as light as possible in case we ever get drawn for a mountain hunt.

I'm not familiar with the Browning rifles. 6.5 PRC and .308 family require a different bolt face. AM I missing something?

I like the simplicity of as few Calibers as possible. In that vein the .308 would let you share ammo on a group hunt. But that Rifle is built to shoot LOOONG and fast. What about making a weekend trip to a long range class to learn more about that style of marksmanship? The .308 is plenty capable in that as well.

Yea, I was trying to pick what calibers, I'm sure I'll stick with a 308 since I have one and my hunting party has 2 as well.

I'd love to do a long range school just for fun, but I still don't want to shoot past 300yds. My theory is that if I personally can't get at least that close, I don't deserve the animal... nothing against people that do it, just a personal opinion.

If you are not going to shoot past 100 yards, just about any legal cartridge should be fine.

I have a 6.5PRC. I bought hundreds of rounds of ammo before I bought the rifle though... If you keep the rifle as it is, are you going to be able to find ammo for it??? If you find the ammo, are you wiling to pay the inflated pricing????

I got all mine at somewhat normal pricing. Then when it was sold out, gunbroker was full of it for $1 more a round. Exact same thng happened recently with 300 PRC. Company listed a bunch of it. It sold quickly, then within days, all of the sudden there was a bunch on gunbroker for way more than the company was charging.....:cautious:

I just won a Browing Hells Canyon Speed rifle in a BHA drawing. Right now it's a 6.5 PRC, and I'm not sure I want to keep that. I hunt northern MN every year for deer and our shots vary rarely get past 100yds. The last handful of deer were less than 50 yds. I do hunt WY every few years when we get tags for antelope amd mule deer, but I don't shoot past 300yds. We don't have anywhere around here to practice that far so I just don't feel comfortable shooting an animal that far. I do have a handful of elk points built up, but I also have a 7mm for that hunt. Once I burn my points, I'll be cow hunting as much as I can. I also have a .308 for my kids and I'm really leaning towards getting the new gun in a .308 as well. It should have plenty of power for what we need, be light enough to carry around, and I already have shells for it. Plus they are cheap, and seem to always be available. We really only shoot a handful of shells a year, 3 or 4 at a target, then 1 at an animal. We might use up a box on out trips to WY just to make sure nothing changed on the drive out. Just looking to make sure my thought process isn't all messed up.
I won the same rifle from goHunt. I had never had or even considered owning a Browning and had all the rifles in the calibers I wanted. I could choose what caliber I wanted and decided on the .308 so that my kids could use it if they wanted to go elk hunting with me and shoot deer here in our home state. My daughter shot one deer with it. I took it out one time and after that I take it to hunt everything. It is very accurate and a joy to shoot and carry. It has taken a dozen deer and a bull elk. 20190624_185037.jpg

Given that your kids shoot a 308 and that ammo is available and relatively inexpensive-I'd stay the course and get another 308. Also inside of 300 yards it is quite potent on all the game you will likely pursue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back