Hello from the Uk

wayner

Hi guys, I am a UK hunter, we have plenty of deer and great places to hunt but unfortunately we cannot bow hunt so I have to travel I have just spent 16 days hunting in the US,actually Vermont which was stunning in the fall colors. I hunt with a trad bow which I have made along with most of my kit, I hunted for a black bear spot and stalk which I found but at 30 yards was just too far before the wind switched and he cottoned on to my presence and he slipped away into the thick cover, this now brings me here to read about your hunting stories and plan my next solo trip as the bug has taken hold to find my next black bear challenge,even getting close to such an amazing animal was special and to be out in such a vast landscape is superb, Regards Wayne.

Last edited:
Welcome! 16 days, that's dedication...
I did spend time taking in some sights apart from hunting with a couple of really bad days of weather so it did knock a few days off but a really nice trip with some breathtaking scenery. The next trip will be just hunting It's a long way to come to not stay as long as possible and I am not getting younger so I need to grab the opportunity's while I am still here,regards oh and I am so envious of you guys just walking out into the wilderness when you can.

Oh no not another Englishman! ;)
Welcome matey
They are a great bunch on here, very helpful and knowledgeable.
Cheers
Richard
Thanks Richard, looking forward to reading about peoples hunts and learning, whilst planning to get back over for bow season next year, there will be a black bear with my tag somewhere,regards wayne

Welcome to the forum Wayne. How has the red stag and row deer treated you this year? What other species are available to you in you part of England?

Welcome!!! You will find quite a lot of very friendly, helpful folks here. Lots of folks traveling to experience new things and the amount of assistance offered is really inspiring. I returned recently from a trip back to Blighty ( I was stationed at RAF Feltwell) where a fellow Hunttalker was able to get me on a muntjac :) Look forward to hearing about your exploits!!

unfortunately I missed the red stag rut this year due to hunting in Vermont the first time I have been drawn away from them, the roe deer on the other hand have been great, lots of encounters as I have a local hunting area for them only 10 minutes away. The red and sika I have to travel to my ground in scotland so it's around a 6 hour drive. we have six species of deer in the uk but near me I only have roe deer.
We Don't have public land as such and my piece in Scotland I share with 4 others around 1000 acres of forestry and open hill. My roe ground is farmland so it is a different kind of hunting, I can perfect my platform and saddle hunting though even if it is without the bow I still like to get as close as possible to whichever species I hunt, here's a taster of the roe, thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
so this first clip was trying out a platform i can use for hunting abroad with DRT and minimal gear, I hadn't actually got it fastened up when I saw this young buck I decided to have a play and call him in whilst hanging off my rope,lol.

when I did finally get up I found a nice doe

and then doing some stump shooting with the bow I managed to stalk into this doe so got as close as possible before she twigged something wasn't right, but it was great fun
regards wayne

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the videos with us. It looks like you have access to a game rich environment. Since they don't allow archery hunting in England. What kind of restrictions do they have with owning and shooting your bow?

Thanks for sharing the videos with us. It looks like you have access to a game rich environment. Since they don't allow archery hunting in England. What kind of restrictions do they have with owning and shooting your bow?
There is no restrictions on the bow apart from no hunting, I shoot 3d at an organised archery set up and often take the bow out around my hunting area at home shooting stumps and targets I have set up to keep my eye in, shooting round the woods and fields is so much better than a target in the garden our nearest place to hunt legally is France, which is an easy option just drive over with the help of the train, but I now have a black bear on my list along with Elk and a few other species. I have hunted a lot in europe for wild boar,red deer and roe and also moose, I have been lucky to hunt Tahr and Chamois along with red deer in NZ, this last hunt I managed to shoot a porcupine as I had read a writeup in a trad bow magazine about hunting and eating one so I had to try for myself I was lucky to find one and he came home via a cabelas jerky mix which was very nice indeed, lol.
my hunt in Vermont was bow season in October and felt it was a little late for the black bear in the mountains, the mast had gone and bears had eaten this earlier, the blue berries and other types had also been eaten, I did find one bear on the mountain but felt they had gone to lower elevation for the corn,apples and food sources still in large abundance still available before the weather changed, I think I will try a state that archery opens in September for better results of finding the food sources, as well as better glassing areas as Vermont was thick forest and I found visibility around 40 yards in thick cover, it was hard going which I like but felt the food source high up had been mostly eaten, maybe more mast in the leaf litter for later pickings but just my thoughts on my visit.

Last edited:
Welcome! Come out west some time, the expanses might take some adjusting to! My extended family from East Anglia used to visit us in the Dakotas while I was growing up. They were truly awestruck by how far you could travel and never encounter another human. That...and all the American TV advertising for food. Best of luck flinging sticks! I failed to fill my archery bear tag this year myself. There's no shame, keep at it.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back