Hello from Louisiana

Droltack

Hello, my name is manny I'm 21 and have never been hunting before it has always been a dream of mine although I didn't think it would be possible to accomplish due to my health conditions. I recently watched the episode where randy was facing a liver condition while on a hunt it made me realize that if he could hunt with a bad liver so can I. So I'm here on these forums trying to plan out my first hunt and see what type of rifle I need to save up for.

Welcome!! I have physical and brain damage issues from being wounded in Iraq. I still hunt, I just go slower and carry less weight and accept the fact that it's going to hurt...but I'm out there. You can do it! As for a rifle, a .308 will kill pretty much anything in North America and is a very 'all around' good for everything caliber. Ruger American is a good priced entry level rifle that you get a lot of bang for your buck, as is the Savage Axis. You can get both rifles in a package with a scope for less than $500.

Last edited:
I must say the people on this forum are the nicest that I have ever met on a forum and after reading around I went out and bought my first rifle today a Ruger American in 308 Winchester with a vortex 3-9x40 scope. It's no Remington 700 or falkor petra or a howa but I think it will work.

I have yet to have a dead animal tell me that my "cheap" gun wasn't nice enough, and all my game dishes taste just as awesome!

IMG_3626.jpg

It looks like it will last me a long time the only minor issue with it is the free float is not really free floated I can't stick a dollar between the stock and barrel. I'm not sure what effect on the accuracy it will have.

View attachment 62061

It looks like it will last me a long time the only minor issue with it is the free float is not really free floated I can't stick a dollar between the stock and barrel. I'm not sure what effect on the accuracy it will have.

Congrats on the rifle! It's always fun buying your first rifle. As for the free floating, you won't know the effect on accuracy until you hit the range but that's a good looking setup. Let us know how she shoots. Welcome to the forum.

Back