Hello from Delmarva Peninsula

Bighorn Dreamer

Found the site a couple of weeks ago after seeing the Montana Bighorn show. Have recently decided to save and try to draw a Bighorn tag out west. Not super picky but Montana would be nice. My dad used to go out & hunt Thompson Falls area (more specifically Sex Peak) for elk onhis own. Visited Arlee, MT around July 4th in 1985 I think. The year of the really bad wildfires in Yellowstone. Here I hunt whitetails and try my hand with Canada geese. Also live within 30 minutes of the only know wild population of sika deer in the US. Haven't really done much with these mini elk yet. Great site I really enjoy it.

Welcome to the forum. Don't want to crush any dreams, but "save" and "try to draw a bighorn tag" don't really go together. ;) Apply in as many states as possible and you might get lucky in the next 20 years. Kind depressing, I know.

Welcome to the site. That's a crazy name for a peak:eek: I guess that's kinda close to Missoula and all the hippys. what Oak said is good advice.

"Dream-Killers".:D

Apply in the western states and save money for a sure hunt up north. Heck, you might get lucky during the process.

Oh yeh, big fires were in "88 and Sex Peak hade a different name before I found it.:D

Welcome. I went sky diving a couple years ago on the peninsula. Fished the Bay a bunch before I moved out here. You never know. You might get lucky. My buddy drew a moose tag on his first try last year. The odds are much better for moose than sheep, but you never know.

Welcome to Hunttalk, BighornDreamer. Its rather ironic that you mention Sex Peak. I only live about ten miles from there.

Lawnboy, there is an old lookout on that peak that has been availble for the public to rent for a long time. Word has it that the Peak was given its name after a low flying plane surprised a rather amorous and very naked couple. I didn't know Miller was involved but you learn new things every day. :)

BigHorn Dreamer, for most of us on this site we can only dream of having a bighorn ram tag with our name on it. But someone has to draw the tag each year and you can't draw if you don't apply. Good luck if you start putting in the draw.

Thanks for the warm welcome. The country out there was beautiful. We went to Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, the National Bison Range spent a night in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. We drove out in a 1986 Ford Ranger that my dad bolted seats from a mustang in the back of and my brother & I spent 2 weeks watching America go by through the windows of a Leer truck cap. When we got down to our camp site in the Wilderness we dipped our cups right in the water for a drink which was really cool. You can't do that here. We drove out through the middle of the US and came back through North & South Dakota so we saw painted canyons, the badlands. It was an awesome trip. I remember going running with my dad when he was getting "in shape" to go out west he'd have 50-75 lbs in a backpack and we'd go to our city park and use there hills which are not very big to try and simulate the mountains. Hopefully soon I'll have a tag and be headed out there again.

That post would make Norman Rockwell proud, cool story.

Sounds like you REALLY wanna get back over here. Shoot for the moon and put on the ram tags, but also consider that there's a bunch of other tags for different animals you can draw in a couple years.

I am glad to see I am not the only one from Delmarva following this site. Minus mdunc8 I doubt any of these guys have ever heard of the "Delmarva Peninsula"....

I always wanted to go out there hunting. My roommate in school was dating a girl who grew up on a big farm in Virginia on the Chesapeake side. He went out there dove and duck hunting a few times and said it was unbelievable.

My grandfather moved here in 1940 from Emporia, VA specifically for the world class bird hunting. He had some outstanding quail and duck dogs and worked really hard about four to six hours a day so his schedule would allow him to chase something just about every morning or afternoon. He actually kept his dogs at work in a kennel so he could drop them off or take them out as needed and save precious hunting minutes each day. I cut my teeth in a duck blind shooting a single shot hammer action 20 guage. It's amazing how good shot you were when you only had one...

The quail are now pretty much gone and the duck hunting is ok, but all the stories are about the years gone bye. The good news is the deer hunting is awesome and getting better every year. Last year Maryland hunters harvested over 100,000 deer setting an all time record. Our bag limites are liberal with the possibility of shooting 36 annually available over the counter. We have great turkey hunting which is amazing when you consider that none where around twenty years ago. Snow geese are abundant with just about no limits for those who want to chase them. Times change but Maryland was, and still can be, "the land of pleasent living".

I am glad to see I am not the only one from Delmarva following this site. Minus mdunc8 I doubt any of these guys have ever heard of the "Delmarva Peninsula"....

Hunted Sika deer back in the mid 90s around Golden Hill. Got 2 with the bow (each rack a wopping 3 in. long.) Never saw so many mosquitos in my life. Beautiful place to be.

Last edited:
Bighorn Dreamer, get with me in the winter/spring and we will get ya put in for a couple tags next year.

from another Delmarva Penisula Resident!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back