PEAX Equipment

helicoptor drop hunts

I'm not sure what the rules are but this sounds ridiculous, sorry! I know there are probably alot of people that do this but come on guys, what happened to good ol' miles on the boots or a saddle and horse unless your handicap?

And if your handicapped it should give you the right to ride your ATV or side by side off road right?

Damn, a little sensitive are we...at the end of the day everyone has the right to do what they see fit. Of course there are exceptions but this is being taken wayyy out of content! If you all have the means to fly in some where, by all means do it, more power to you! Have a great day, and good luck on your hunting adventures!

Damn, a little sensitive are we...at the end of the day everyone has the right to do what they see fit. Of course there are exceptions but this is being taken wayyy out of content! If you all have the means to fly in some where, by all means do it, more power to you! Have a great day, and good luck on your hunting adventures!

I think you're missing the context in that 99% of the people here would prefer said landlocked public land were accessible by foot. We believe public land should be accessible by all. That is why so many fought for the corner crossing bill in MT this year and the bill to allow FWP to continue to purchase land or establish easements.

A charter flight is less than the cost of an out of state tag. I think you're putting too much emphasis on the cost, it's actually reasonably cheap, especially when amortized out over the course of the year.

Your 100% correct in that public land should be accesible by ALL, but being that it isn't, is it fair to other hunters for someone to have that advantage over the rest. My "emphasis on cost" is exactly that, if an area is going to be accesible by plane, than that should be an option for all, not just the ones deeper pockets.

Your 100% correct in that public land should be accesible by ALL, but being that it isn't, is it fair to other hunters for someone to have that advantage over the rest. My "emphasis on cost" is exactly that, if an area is going to be accesible by plane, than that should be an option for all, not just the ones deeper pockets.

In other words, wealth redistribution?:confused:

Again, you're missing the point. You're making an issue out of the results, not the cause. The issue is that this land should not be blocked in the first place. It is those with deep pockets that are blocking you from the land. The fact that some now access this land though the air because they have the "means" is not the issue. In fact, they..... particularly our host here, are bringing awareness to this issue by the action of flying in.

It isn't fair that Greenhorn can motor through the Lee Metcalf like he is part goat fueled by PBR and I can't....but I'm not going to feel sorry for myself about it.

Last edited:

:( I can't afford a big 4x4 to get me up those nasty forest roads to hunt so nobody should be able to drive up there. Plus I only own an old open sight 30-30, I can't afford a new scoped 30-06 so nobody should be able to use them for hunting. :hump:

Since I am the guy who seems to have raised many of the questions and thoughts on accessing landlocked public land via helicopter, I will give some other ideas to the discussion.

The area I fly into, is completely land locked. You cannot hike in there, otherwise me and a couple hundred other people would be hiking in there every day.

The landowners who have this surrounded would really like to acquire this land via a land swap, supposedly due to the perceived disruption our presence creates to their operation. Not sure that is why they want to trade, but I don't doubt that those of us with immense wealth (joking here) who can afford the $700-800 per person for this transport trip are viewed as a disruption to the bigger operation on these lands. The more we use this ground, I suspect the more the surrounding landowner will want to trade. Hopefully our continued presence there provides more incentive for them to trade and makes for a better deal that the public will get out of such a transaction.

I make no apologies for doing this. It is public land. They are public elk. I will do this every year, until such time as the land is traded, or I am not able to draw a tag for the hunt. I feel the story of accessing landlocked public hunting areas is making a difference in the bigger discussion of public land hunting access.

The awareness we have brought to how reasonable this type of access can be, is quite remarkable. I get many emails from people in many other states, asking me questions, as they intend to do it in their states. I suspect this year, you will see the same thing happening elsewhere in Montana, in Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico. At least if the people who have contacted me are able to draw tags and go through with their plans.

More public hunters, hunting more public lands, killing more of the public's elk. To me, that is a good thing.

To make this method of accessing public lands, and questioning whether it should even be allowed, based on a discussion of financial means is a hard argument for me to follow. Maybe I am biased, due to my efforts in this.

Imagine if someone advocated that since some hunters cannot afford the gas to drive to Ennis to hunt those public lands every day, none of should be allowed to that. Some of us can afford it, if we so choose,though some cannot. Using this same path of logic, those public lands around Ennis should be off limits to Bozeman guys, because not every Bozeman person can afford to drive to Ennis every day. Abusrd.

Carry on .......

I'm not asking for a pitty party or smart a*s remarks from you all, nor am I asking for approval of what I believe. Where this topic began is completely turned around now...maybe it was the general question from magginis or maybe I took it the wrong way, and assummed it was another case of watching the outdoor channel seeing hunters fly or have access to lands me and my family try and hunt year after year just because they have thousands to buy they're way. I'm not ashamed of not having unlimited funds for hunting and to be honest I don't know too many people that do. If you do have the money to do so, more power to you. Honestly, I was looking at this thread from a whole other aspect until I got attacked by the OYOA linch mob. I would like to thank Randy for clarifying a little more in depth what was going on. I am not changing my perspective on what i've been saying, but I will say I was ranting on something totally unrelated to what Randy explained. I do believe in utilizing public lands that are being ran by greedy landowners that think they own it all just because its landlocked and give your everyday hunter a hard time for trying to access it.

In other words, wealth redistribution?:confused:
That's about what I got out of that post. There's lots of things I can't "afford" but would like to have or have access to... :rolleyes: We can start the redistribution by you sending me one of your Sakos. It's onw of the few things from Finland my wife will let me fondle endlessly. :D

Methinks he needs to stop digging...

That's about what I got out of that post. There's lots of things I can't "afford" but would like to have or have access to... :rolleyes: We can start the redistribution by you sending me one of your Sakos. It's onw of the few things from Finland my wife will let me fondle endlessly. :D

Methinks he needs to stop digging...

....had you pegged from the start as a Sako perv.:rolleyes:

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back