helicoptor drop hunts

maginnis

Anyone on here familiar with the rules on using a helicoptor or airplane to access public grounds? Can you use them to get out your animals? Thanks for any input.

I'm not sure what the rules are but this sounds ridiculous, sorry! I know there are probably alot of people that do this but come on guys, what happened to good ol' miles on the boots or a saddle and horse unless your handicap?

I'm not sure what the rules are but this sounds ridiculous, sorry! I know there are probably alot of people that do this but come on guys, what happened to good ol' miles on the boots or a saddle and horse unless your handicap?

Your good 'ol boots and stock would be trespassing if you're trying to get on public surrounded by private. Unless of course you have landowner permission to access.

When they legalize corner crossing i'll gladly hoof it in. Dropping in is the only way to get to some areas, so maybe this is what the OP was referring to?

Totally ridiculous :rolleyes:

Episode 4 - Montana Archery Elk
Randy flies a helicopter into a section of BLM land that is completely locked off by surrounding private land. After six days of exhaustive hunting, the last evening provides a "go for broke" option. Randy is all in. The elk are just out of his range. At last light, a huge bull comes forward, beckoning Randy to make him a TV star.

I'm not piling on, I promise.

Flying into a property land locked by private ground, is no different than flying onto an island.

I'm not swimming to the island I'm hunting this fall in Alaska...

I've heard of people doing this, I actually think the prices for a charter are somewhat reasonable compared to what a lot of landowners want for access.

I remember a newspaper article (from a few/several years ago) of two bowhunter that used a helicopter to access public land and they both shot two nice bull elk and then flew them out. I believe they were from NE Montana. Not sure where in Montana the hunt took place, but it was an interesting read. The public land was surrounded by private land.

I tried to search for the article, but no success.

Anyone on here familiar with the rules on using a helicoptor or airplane to access public grounds? Can you use them to get out your animals? Thanks for any input.

HMMMMM. Helicopter? Accessing public land? OYOA?

Sorry to be a sm@rt@ss, but this topic has been covered extensively.

Me Too

I remember a newspaper article (from a few/several years ago) of two bowhunter that used a helicopter to access public land and they both shot two nice bull elk and then flew them out. I believe they were from NE Montana. Not sure where in Montana the hunt took place, but it was an interesting read. The public land was surrounded by private land.

I tried to search for the article, but no success.

There is a small landing stripe someplace in MT too, where I have heard of them flying people in to drop camp. it has been a couple of years I don't remember exactly where.

Kevin

Ridiculous? Hardly. I put on many of miles every month of the year in the woods. I also use a dehavilland beaver to access remote ground in Alaska every year. I was just wondering the laws regarding this. Especially transporting. In alaska the laws are very strict. I must have missed all the talk on the subject. My bad. I think it would be awesome to use aircraft to hunt public land thats surrounded by some jack *&! from out of state. Especially when its in the same area my family homesteaded in a century ago.

well obviously Alaska and other offshore areas are an exception, that's the only way in and out! I just feel like its another rich mans advantage in the hunting world, "oh its hard to access, lets fly!" Just my opinion, no hard feelings!

well obviously Alaska and other offshore areas are an exception, that's the only way in and out! I just feel like its another rich mans advantage in the hunting world, "oh its hard to access, lets fly!" Just my opinion, no hard feelings!

''Advantage'' sure but don't let it bum you out. If legal so what, life's not fair the guy with a string of horses may have an ''advantage''over the guy who laces up his boots who in kind has an ''advantage'' over the guy who's barefoot. When it comes to going deep and hunting hard for 5 or 6 days I can assure you that the 21 year old version of me would have an ''advantage'' over me today.

Don't let yourself get bogged down with the little stuff, get yourself some tags and go hunting,have fun.

Secondhand info, but I was told that drop access is illegal as far as State lands. mtmuley

Back