Caribou Gear Tarp

Heather's Choice

Not to derail, but the company my daughter worked for, started by her college friend, sewing on her kitchen table, was on Shark Tank. They were picked up by an investor, but turned it down because they would lose control. Sold a few years later for $12 Million. Not chump change.

And, we backpacked all over the Western U.S. on Gorp, rice, cheese, Kraft dinners, Quaker oatmeal packets, sardines, sometimes dehydrated fruit, and trout. I don't get the $13 dinners.

Not to derail, but the company my daughter worked for, started by her college friend, sewing on her kitchen table, was on Shark Tank. They were picked up by an investor, but turned it down because they would lose control. Sold a few years later for $12 Million. Not chump change.

And, we backpacked all over the Western U.S. on Gorp, rice, cheese, Kraft dinners, Quaker oatmeal packets, sardines, sometimes dehydrated fruit, and trout. I don't get the $13 dinners.
What company?

Bunch of different flavors and taste good. About 1000 calories. Pre chop up some summer sausage carry it in and throw it in while cooking. Entire big meal for like $2.50.
Do you actually cook it in camp then, or just add water? i’ve experimented with just adding water to these and haven’t gotten them to fully hydrate.

My go-to is idahoan potatoes mixed with some dehydrated vegetables, dehydrated hamburger with salt and pepper. I could eat that daily.

Sucks to see Heather struggling. I’ve never tried her product or any freeze dry for that matter. I can’t bring myself to spend $16 on a bag of noodles.

Do you actually cook it in camp then, or just add water? i’ve experimented with just adding water to these and haven’t gotten them to fully hydrate.

My go-to is idahoan potatoes mixed with some dehydrated vegetables, dehydrated hamburger with salt and pepper. I could eat that daily.

Sucks to see Heather struggling. I’ve never tried her product or any freeze dry for that matter. I can’t bring myself to spend $16 on a bag of noodles.
I cook it in my jetboil. Bring the water to a boil. Add contents to water and bring back to a boil then let it simmer stirring for about 10ish minutes.

I think I'm going to buy some of these though. Then I'll just heat up the water and pour it in and let it cook like you do with the peak and mtn house. .17 cents a piece and it'll keep my jet boil clean. I'll do some testing soon. It should work well. 150 bags should last a while.

I cook it in my jetboil. Bring the water to a boil. Add contents to water and bring back to a boil then let it simmer stirring for about 10ish minutes.

I think I'm going to buy some of these though. Then I'll just heat up the water and pour it in and let it cook like you do with the peak and mtn house. .17 cents a piece and it'll keep my jet boil clean. I'll do some testing soon. It should work well. 150 bags should last a while.

i use a very similar bag and do what you are describing. The only noodles that will hydrate that way in my experience are angel hair noodles. other noodles stay pretty crunchy.

I’ve gotten to the point where I have a hard time eating any of these meals. Doesn’t matter if it’s Heathers Choice, Gastro Gnome, Mountain House, etc. They are all over priced and hard on the guts. I can’t do bars much anymore either, besides Nutty Buddy of course.

I use Heather's and I use Shannon's Gastro Gnome.

I like the taste of the Packaroons, but the texture is like a sawdust biscuit.

I'm in support of convenience, but I will never understand packaroons. Yes they are good. But it takes literally 10 minutes of prep and about $9 of ingredients to make two dozen of them. Someone who can't handle a coconut macaroon recipe probably shouldn't have a drivers license.

1706136456847.png

So, I watched the video and she's in financial trouble. Not sure how old the video is, but she said she couldn't make payroll. None of the sharks invested with her. Sounds like she may not be around for much longer.

Sticking with peak refuel and next mile meals with a mountain house tossed in once in awhile

$250k for 10% is expensive. Particularly with over $1m in debt. Her stated margins of 75% and the rest of the numbers make me think her math is wrong. All that said, she is facing the same problem as everyone else in this business. It is hard to scale dehydrated meals to an attractive level given the competition.

I go with Mtn House usually because they're fairly inexpensive at my local Bi-Mart. If they carried Peak I would go with them- I'm usually buying meals last minute so that's on me haha and I love Mtn house's pad thai

That stuff taste like cardboard.

The best tasting healthy backpack food was Off Grid and there wasn’t even a close second.. maybe Peak

Off Grid couldn’t keep their lights on and went out of business, go figure.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back