Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Heart Rate Monitor - A step backward?

How times have changed!
When i did serious running (middle distance) in the late 70's and early 80's all i used was my stopwatch on my wrist watch and my finger on my pulse.
We used to do cross country/road running in the winter and track work in the summer.
Often the track work would include this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek#Advantages_of_fartlek
from what you have said you are a big guy who in my opinion is doing very well.
i will say one thing, you have resurrected my interest in running!
i did do a few runs last year but struggled to get under 8m/mile but it is very hilly where i live.
i must try again soon.
cheers
richard

"My unstated goal for 2012 is to run a 10K at a 7:30 pace. Not sure if I can accomplish it or not since my last 10K was at a 9:00 pace and dropping 1:30 off a 10K would be a huge improvement in one year. Heck, it would be pretty tough for me to run a mile in 7:30 right now! I've only been running for 8 months now so I'm just happy with improving for now. I was only getting in 3 workouts a week and am going to try to increase that to 4 minimum and maybe 5 so that should help a bunch too."

I guess you failed on NOT stating your goal! LOL!

"I'm really liking the feeling of getting in shape and almost starting to actually enjoy running." I hear on that one. Every year since I started running, I say I am in the best shape of my life.

I think as long as I say it is an unstated goal then it really doesn't count. Maybe I should call it a pie in the sky goal or something. I always like to set my goals low enough that I'm pretty confident that I can meet them and I'm not very confident on that one.

Seems almost unbelievable that I could ever run that fast for 6.4 miles when I'm not sure I could even make a mile that fast right now. Of course I would have been hard pressed to get a mile in 9:00 this time last year and I can do that for 6.4 miles now, but I think my improvement is going to start to taper off at some point. Maybe this heart rate stuff will kick in and I'll pull it off though.

"Seems almost unbelievable that I could ever run that fast for 6.4 miles when I'm not sure I could even make a mile that fast right now. Of course I would have been hard pressed to get a mile in 9:00 this time last year and I can do that for 6.4 miles now, but I think my improvement is going to start to taper off at some point. Maybe this heart rate stuff will kick in and I'll pull it off though."

Short story- I started running on Feb 1st, 2007. (I had NEVER RUN anything EVER). I started training for a 1/2 marathon (What did I know??????!). Once I started, I could barely run 2 miles and my preliminary race goal was to "Not embarass myself" and not get whooped by "grandma". As training moved forward, my goal moved up. Race day, I beat my final goal. But couldn't imagine running that fast for 26.2 miles. Fast forward one year, I ran my first marathon while matching my previous years 1/2 marathon pace.

Nathan- Don't worry about how fast you can run. It's best to be consistent and enjoy your runs. I tell myself, "There are many upcoming runs which I have dreaded, none that I have ever regretted once completed". Run faster if you feel like it one day, run slower most days. You will surprise yourself of how much improvement you will make without even "trying".

Here is a motivational quote that may be applicable to your race goal.

"It is better to have tried and failed, rather than to have never tried at all".

Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Damm, and I was just going to ask him if he could BARK<<<< us old slow hunters still need runners :)

Just did 4 miles on pavement on flat ground after work just before it got dark on me. Didn't have cell phone coverage so the pandora radio didn't work and I about fell asleep and actually slowed down my pace without realizing it. Ended up with an 11:04 pace and my avg heart rate was 143 so well within the aerobic zone for me. I ran the last mile at a 10:50 pace and my heartrate hung out at 146 for that so thats encouraging. Barely even broke a sweat. I ran before supper so I think that helped as I don't like running on a full stomach.

Don't worry about how fast you can run. It's best to be consistent and enjoy your runs. I tell myself, "There are many upcoming runs which I have dreaded, none that I have ever regretted once completed". Run faster if you feel like it one day, run slower most days.
That's some great advice. Consistency is definitely the key. And not ever trying to do too much too fast, which often leads to injury.

Personally I never put on the HRM strap anymore. Besides occasionally giving me bogus readings or not picking up a heartbeat at all, I find it uncomfortable to wear. As far as I'm concerned, I've trained long enough that just going off "perceived exertion" works well enough. Of course I'm no elite endurance athlete, but I did do this to complete my first ultramarathon and full Ironman last year with what I consider satisfactory results.

Sounds like you are doing everything right. Just keep doing it and your times will surely improve sooner or later. Good luck. Have fun.

Okay, I set an official goal for myself to run a 1/2 marathon this spring in 2 hours or less. Worked up a training schedule based on everything I've read and input from my wife who has run several marathons and was a cross country coach for many years. This is way less mileage that several different places recommend, but this is a compromise of time since this is my busiest time of the year. I'll be getting in 4 workouts each week and possibly a 5th if I have the time.

Here's the plan:
Spring_2012_Training_Schedule.jpg

So far the heart rate monitoring is going pretty well. I ran 6.9 miles on Tuesday and was able to pick my pace up to 10:44 with an average heart rate of 147 so maybe it's working or maybe I just had a good day.

Last edited:
You'll do just fine.

When I trained for my 1st race (1/2), my longest training run was around 12 miles. I think I ran 4 days a week or so.

Looks like a good approach. Lessen the beating on your body, but supplement with longer cross training/w-o sessions. Put faith in your training, don't cheat in training, and you will have a good day.

Going pretty good so far.

Ran 11.26 miles today (which is my longest run ever) at a 10:38 average pace and a 149 avg heart rate.

That's 47 seconds per mile faster than my run on January 7th which was 11.09 miles over pretty much the same course (actually a couple hundred feet less elevation gain) that I ran at a 11:25 pace with an avg heart rate of 149.

If I keep that up who knows, maybe I'll be able to run the half marathon at the end of April in a 9:10 pace while staying in the aerobic zone the entire time! ;)

Last edited:
Getting in a solid base in the aerobic zone is working great. Had kind of a breakthrough run last night after work, 5.10 miles at a 10:10 pace and a 147 average heart rate. That's more than a minute faster pace at the same exertion level based on my heart rate from only 6 weeks ago.

Ran a 14k road race (8.7 miles) Saturday in 20 degrees and 20+ mph winds at a 9:11 average pace. Had some crazy splits with the wind. I had a 9:42 and 9:51 mile going into the wind early in the race, and on the way back my fastest miles were miles 7 and 8 and they were 8:46 and 8:32 with the wind helping.

Still losing weight too. Have moved around on what half marathon I'll be running and looks like I'm shooting for the Kentucky Derby mini marathon in Louisville on April 28th. Going to start trying to do my pace runs at 9:00 or 9:05 pace to make sure I can break 2 hours on race day. I would hate to run a 9:10 pace and find out the race was measured a little long and end up with a 2:00:51 or something like that. A 5 second increase would give me 1 minute of buffer and a 10 second increase would give me 2 minutes of buffer. Still pretty close.

Have a 6 mile pace run on the agenda tonight and Saturday will be my new longest run ever with a 12 miler on the schedule.

Oh well, was pretty happy with last nights run and though I would share if anyone was interested.

Nathan

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! It is fantastic to see and hear about your improvements. It is amazing how the human body responds and adapts to physical adversity. You have NO idea what you are capable of!

Okay after being so pumped about my workout back in mid February where I ran a 10:10 pace with a 70% heart rate I ended up getting sick and have been struggling to get back to that point ever since. I didn't realize it would zap me so much, but I'm still not back to where I was yet. I did run that 6 mile pace run at a 8:58 pace, but then got sick and didn't run for over a week.

Now I'm pretty concerned that I'm not going to make my 2 hour half marathon goal, but I guess I'll know more in a couple weeks with on that.

Got in my longest run of my life today, 12.13 miles. Trying to keep it under a 150 avg heart rate but lost it there at the end. I didn't realize that temperature would make as much of a difference on my heart rate, but the second it gets over about 75 degrees and the sun starts beating down on my my heart rate just soars.

Here's the graph of my run today.
12_mile_run_3_17_12.jpg

Pace was pretty steady, but you can see my heart rate climbing there on those last 4 miles. You can see on the pace that I even walked up a short hill there right around the 11 mile mark but my heart rate didn't recover for long.

Sure hope I can get it together in the next few weeks so I can feel like I have a chance at making my goal on the half marathon. I have a 15k (9.3 miles) coming up 2 weeks before the half that I should be able to use as a good benchmark to know if I have a chance or not.

Next long run is an easy 13 miler and then a 12 mile increasing pace run the week after that. My pace runs are supposed to be up to 8 miles by now, but I'm not making the pace on them that I want. Did some 400m intervals this week instead of a pace run so we'll see if that helps on my speed or not.

I posted in another thread on my improvement in the last year and it really is amazing that I'm disappointed in my pace and heart rate on a 12 mile run when I couldn't even run 3 miles without walking this time last year. I would still like to make that 2 hour goal on my half marathon though!

Last edited:
Nice work!

As far as HR and temperature, this is pretty typical. Your lay off will have affected it a little, but if you are back in the saddle, after a week-10 days you will be back.

With outside temp of 75 and a LR, you are seeing the additional strain on your body. Whether in training or a race, there are a few things you can do to help this.

#1- Your core temp is going up. If you are in a race, dump water on your head at every aid station. (Down the back of your head). Soak your cap also. Your head has a lot of blood flowing through it. Cooling your head will cool your core.

#2- Nutrition- Probably less of a factor, but with the amount of time on your feet, possible. In training, I don't worry about it. I delberately do not take gels on long runs because I am trying to "teach" my body how to burn fat and not supplement it. (Unless I am doing a marathon goal pace or progressive LR) Always drink water. When in a race, take a gel or two. (Test this in training to make sure your stomach can handle them) Rinse them down with a little water.

#3- Hydration- Hydrate early and often. Just a swig though. Learn how to drink on the run. In a race with paper cups, pinch the top and suck out of the corner. In a half, you won't become too dehydrated. But every little bit helps.

Z_Barebow,

Thanks for the comments. I was very surprised to see my heart rate being so affected by the temperature, especially when the sun is beating down as well as the wind blowing. That last run started at about 75 degrees and overcast but right at about the 8 mile mark the clouds vanished and it ended up at 83 degrees at the finish.

I'm working on my hydration, I drank some water at the 6 mile mark on my last run, but I was getting dehydrated by the end of it with the sun and the wind. I've never had to worry about hydration during a run, but I'm going to have to start planning for water from here on out on my long runs especially if the sun will be out. Training for a marathon you would really have to worry about hydration.

Going to pick back up on my pace runs this week, hopefully I'm close to being back on track.

npaden- I have a mesh vest with a pocket in the middle of the back. I can slip a 20 oz water bottle in this pocket.

I mention the hydrating early and often piece. I say that because once you start spiralling down, it is much harder to pull out of the "dive" vs avoid going into a "dive" in the first place. Same goes for cramping. With your Texas heat and expanding your run distances, these issues may pop up where you have never had problems previously.

Where did you get the mesh vest? I googled and found this - http://www.backcountry.com/nathan-hpl-008-race-vest

Looks pretty interesting and for sure has a good name anyway! ;) Probably overkill for me though, although I could ditch my armband that I carry my phone in and just stick it in that mesh pocket on the vest.

I've been wearing some mothwing spring mimicry shirts that are 86% polyester and 14% spandex that seem to work really well at wicking moisture. Got some padded socks that help a bunch as well. There has to be some type of runner type online discount place like www.camofire.com is for hunting gear, but I haven't found it yet.

I bought 2 pairs of Asics Cumulus 12 running shoes recently at a big discount since the newer models are out, but could use some more light colored spandex/polyester blend shirts and shorts but can't find anything super cheap online.

Back