Hearing Protection for waterfowl hunting

Muskeez

My daughter has done a lot of waterfowl hunting this past fall while at college. She had ringing in her ears for a few days. She tried the foam plugs but then she can't hear the guys well enough when they call out to "shoot em". I have some electronic ear muffs from Walker that are great at the range for target shooting and still being able to communicate but I'm thinking these won't work well for waterfowl hunting and getting her cheek down on the stock well. Any thoughts? What do you guys use and what would you recommend. I think she needs something before she ends up like the old man someday! Thanks for any advice!

I've used these in the past when I had a ported shotgun that was loud as hell. The protection level is pretty low, but it's better than nothing. I could still hear ducks quacking when I used them. http://www.thefirestore.com/store/p...T9lfnl77EahLpakHoM1LCqy_bVSv3bpwaAu-PEALw_wcB

I agree with you, I can never shoot a shotgun(or rifle) with muffs on.

There is a bunch of electronic plugs out there now but they're not cheap. If it was me I'd consider something like the Walkers Razr X as to not break the bank. Of course hearing is priceless.

Last edited:
Get the walkers ear muffs, I wear them at the range but after reading this I'm wearing them waterfowl hunting. The ones I'm talking about take batteries that enhance hearing others talk, but muffle load noises.

I use electronic earmuffs (Caldwell if memory serves) that do not prevent a good cheek mount. Bulky coats seem to be more likely to prevent proper mounting

I was convinced to go to hearing protection after enduring an ear pounding teal opener sitting in between two other gunners who both burned more than a box of shells to get half their limit.

Looking into a set myself of the walker electronic plug style for waterfowling. Whatever you decide do it sooner than later I never thought mine was that bad until I had a great job offer come up but couldn't pass the physical due to my hearing. I'm only 30 can't imagine how bad it will be if I don't get serious about it soon. I agree with you on the muffs too I can't get down on the gun comfortably.

I can’t wear the ear muff style because they tend to be oversized on my head and I can’t properly mount the shotgun with them on. I just wear a pair of regular rubber earplugs - the style with the three little “skirts”, if that makes any sense. I wear them for both waterfowl and upland hunting. I can still hear birds flush if they are relatively close, and regular speaking voices in a blind are no problem, but they greatly diminish the gun fire. Kind of a happy medium that works for me.

Here is what I use. If you or her have amazon prime she can try them out and if doesn't like them she can return for refund.
https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Amplification-Electronic-R-01526/dp/B001T7QJ9O

When practicing shouldering the gun, the stock does bump the ear muff and seems to be an annoyance. I didn't use them for a whole season because of this. But when shooting a live target I don't notice a the bump, and haven't had an issue shouldering. I use them for all types of hunting mainly for being able to hear better and the protection is an added bonus. We shot 5 limits of ducks last weekend and never had trouble hearing or shooting.

Having experienced hearing loss from the military and being an avid waterfolwer, I would give you this thought:

Every time you pull the trigger you are doing irrepreable damge to your hearing. It is cumulative and hearing aids are the only fix.

Protection now is the way to go and investing in good plugs is absolutely worth it. Cutsom fits make them forget you have them in, digital means you can hear without wind noise.

I would gladly pay the $1000 these cost to get my hearing back. Until that's possible, wear these: http://www.espamerica.com/

Hearing protection is very important issue. I wish I had started earlier. I have about a dozen different products and for me the electronic earmuffs as suggested by several are a great product. The only draw back for me a Southern California water-fowler is that sometimes they get too warm. The alternative for me has become the walkers game ears (hearing aid style product.) http://www.cabelas.com/product/Walkers-Game-Ear-reg-Digital-HD-X-Game-Ear/1214146.uts

Don't lose 'em.

Hey, I'm bringing this back up as technology is constantly changing. I purchased some entry level Caldwell elect. muffs but returned them after on use, they had a low level buzz that drove my crazy. I went with the Walkers slim, but if you're wearing them for more than an hour or so I still get this weird electonic buzz like sound that really irritates me. I think it's just the overall quality (I mean $30 ain't much). Does anyone have any other suggestions for mid to high end hearing protection? I also find that while the cheap muffs work for waterfowl, they don't for upland because I can't get a bead on which direction the flush is coming from (I often hunt without a dog). I was looking at these:

or

I am now using these, since they are cheaper to replace...

There is a military/leo discount too. Wind noise is minimal, if at all. Sitting in a duck blind they've been great. At the range, they work. Having the bluetooth is nice too.

I am now using these, since they are cheaper to replace...

There is a military/leo discount too. Wind noise is minimal, if at all. Sitting in a duck blind they've been great. At the range, they work. Having the bluetooth is nice too.
Now that's what I'm talking about. Thanks for the link

Spendy but I bought a pair of Sportears. 4 settings and noise (shot) cancellation. Great for any shooting but particularly waterfowl and turkeys.

I have been using a molded in ear pair for rifle shooting as the muffs don't allow me to get low enough on a rifle. They worked excellent this fall in Wyoming but I haven't tried them for waterfowl yet.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back