Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Headlamps

I have two Petzls and I’ve never had them come on in my pack. Light and reliable. Use them a lot night calling.

I also prefer the battery ones. Both of mine seem to last a really long time, but they never crap out until you want to use them, of course. I like that I can just drop in new batteries and keep going. I already have a plethora of phones, battery packs, scopes, etc to charge. One less thing.

I love this one, best headlamp I’ve used by far. It’s extremely bright. Rechargeable but also runs on 2 CR123s, which is a very important feature to me. It’s nice being able to pop in fresh batteries when you need to.
View attachment 252876
Have used maybe over a dozen different ones over the years - this is my goto. I carry one extra battery.

I am of a different opinion on rechargeable headlamps. If a rechargeable goes dead in the field, you are sunk. With a battery operated one, you are out only the 45 seconds that it takes to replace them.

My pack always has two headlamps with the spare being battery. On one cold, below zero day, I had the plastic end piece of a Princeton TEC headlamp break. Without a spare it would have sucked big time.

I am of a different opinion on rechargeable headlamps. If a rechargeable goes dead in the field, you are sunk. With a battery operated one, you are out only the 45 seconds that it takes to replace them.

I can hook my little battery pack up in less time than changing out the battery, which I also carry.

This is a pretty humorous flaw in thinking. Sorry.

If your regular battery dies - what do you do?

The only think different/better with rechargables is you don’t throw the dead ones away- you recharge them, and NEVER have to buy new ones. I carry a spare, could carry 2 spares but even on 10 day hunts have not had to swap 2 times.

There is actually ZERO advantage to use non rechargeable batteries.

There are a number of rechargeable headlamps on the market that use a common replacement. My Black Diamond has recharge capacity…but can also take AAA’s if the rechargeables die in the field.

My Fenix 61 and 65…and a couple others can take CR123’s As a back up.

in general though, I take a headlamp that I run at around 50% level (so it lasts forever) and I have a flashlight with some horsepower for a backup or for really lighting the world up.

Truth is though, I’m not exactly hunting in a big area. It’s not the biggest concern I have.

18650 rechargeable and replaceable. Carry a spare battery. Fenix is nice but as noted not cheap and had gotten significantly more expensive since I bought one and went back looking for more.
Plenty of cheaper options with great beams but they all fail in the end. I’ve got a collection of 18650 batteries to prove it lol.
It’s either that or your son loses the nice one, so take your pick, I have no good answers here.

Uuum, with the Black Diamond rechargeable you can simply put new AAA batteries in. Is this different than doing the same with a non-rechargeable?

Uuum, with the Black Diamond rechargeable you can simply put new AAA batteries in. Is this different than doing the same with a non-rechargeable?
that is a pretty darn good option! I expect is costs more than the Duracells from Costco I use, but probably worth it.

As for only rechargeable, to each their own I guess. I just don't want to have to charge things and bring a battery pack for my headlamp.

Totally agree on a second headlamp in the pack! Always!

that is a pretty darn good option! I expect is costs more than the Duracells from Costco I use, but probably worth it.

As for only rechargeable, to each their own I guess. I just don't want to have to charge things and bring a battery pack for my headlamp.

Totally agree on a second headlamp in the pack! Always!
They run on rechargeable or Costco batteries…

To each their own.

I highly recommend Black Diamond headlamps. I've put them through all weather patterns and sorted activities and they always hold up. I have one that is 10 years old that still holds a charge and works as good as ever.

If not Black Diamond, then go Petzl. The climbing companies really know how to make a headlamp that lasts and can stand up to the abuses that we, as hunters, would put on them.

One more time here. I’ve had a couple black diamonds, Princeton tech, and literally more than a dozen pretzels… I’m not commenting without having used them,

Look no further than this right here..

I just don't want to have to charge things and bring a battery pack for my headlamp.

You really don't need a battery bank for recharging the headlamp. The rechargable battery in mine lasted 4 days with frequent use, in pretty cold temps this October, and a back-up rechargable battery is $20, so carry one. When backpacking, I almost always carry a battery bank anyways for charging phone/camera and my Garmin. An hour on the battery pack or 12v USB plug in the truck and you're completely back in business.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back