PEAX Equipment

Headlamps for under $100

Dwreckers

I’m doing some research on some headlamps for this upcoming season but of course there’s like a thousand different brands and models. Leaning towards a black diamond as they seem to have good reviews and have had some thoughts on StingRay. Looking for a good all around headlamp without the big battery pack. Looking for wide up close but also a long bright narrow beam for when I’m hiking in the dark/trying to find my spot in a giant field to set up decoys.

Any personal reviews would be much appreciated

I’ve never bought a headlamp over $100. I prefer Black Diamond, waterproof models. Get something with a lock feature, I have a heck of a time with buttons getting pushed while in the pack and running batteries down.

I have used my Cabellas outfitter models for years. I recently got 2 more for extras. It provides a white light that I can read maps with ez. Adjustable.
Uses AAA batteries that can be recharged & I have spares. I only use AA & AAA rechargables. Fit all my stuff.
I do have a Petzel/Tikka with green & red shades for night hiking that uses same batteries. But the switch is a problem....goes on by itself it seems & is a pain to switch off.

This may sound crazy, but I have really liked my Ozark Trails headlamp I got at Wally World. It is the rechargeable model, has 4 settings, including a really bright spotlight, and the battery has great life before needing another charge. I actually bought it after running a Black Diamond for a few years and I think it is way better than the BD.

There are headlamps OVER $100? Damn...

I own a whole gang of Black Diamond Storm headlamps and I don't think I've paid more than $35 for any of them. If I had to gripe about them, it would be that the learning curve on the single button operation is steep, but the function and features are great. I like them a lot.

I've had Black Diamond and Petzl. Both are great and both were well under $100. I like the Black Diamond better because of how low you can dim the light in white or red mode and then return to full brightness easily. That said, I think the strap on the BD is not as good as the Petzl. I seem to have to re-adjust the darn thing every time I put it on. If I hadn't lost the Petzl I would swap the bands!

Current gen of BD seem to be fine, historically I've preferred Mammut (which no longer makes headlamps) and Petzl. I will personally pay out for lighting options and horsepower, because a decent beam has saved me many hours of route finding off trail. I can't see paying for the "customized" stuff like the Petzl Nao/Reaktik, also rechargeable is a no go. Like anything it's a compromise...battery life, weight, cost, etc. There have been backpack hunts where I've covered more miles at night than in the daylight, i.e. glass all day, kill something at dark, hike all night. Also like every spring bear hunt.

I will personally pay out for lighting options and horsepower, because a decent beam has saved me many hours of route finding off trail.

Seems like a huge waste but I will often swap out batteries right before a trip or at least at the beginning of every season, even if my headlamp is working, because I want max power. Seems trivial but trying to get back to your kill site through down timber, or down a talus slope to your camp is 5x more difficult with a crappy headlamp.

For the past 10 years or so I have been using Princeton Tec Apex Pro's that work really well. They do take a bit of an odd/expensive battery but won't seem to quit working. Busted a hinge on one and Princeton Tec sent me a brand new one under their warranty.

Seems like a huge waste but I will often swap out batteries right before a trip or at least at the beginning of every season, even if my headlamp is working, because I want max power. Seems trivial but trying to get back to your kill site through down timber, or down a talus slope to your camp is 5x more difficult with a crappy headlamp.
Yep. I carry two headlamps and both get fresh batteries at the beginning of a hunt. The used batteries get used in the off season for reading and other non-hunt related headlamp activities.

I really get surprised by what people spend sometimes. I have a couple of Energizer headlamps I got at Wal-Mart for about $25. Both have a red light if I want to use it. They are completely adequate for what I do, which always includes either a mountainous hike in or a hike out in the dark.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back