Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

He bit the hand that feeds him. 🤬

Addicting

New pup in the house and the older dog isn’t taking to well. Chewing up everything in sight even though he is getting plenty of attention. Today for the second time he chewed up my kids drone. Their toys have become his favorite thing to destroy. He actually is seeking them out. This drone was put up and charging, he got onto the furniture and move stuff to get it. Pulled it away from the wall and charger then proceeded to chew it to bits in the middle of the living room. I had just left and went to the bathroom, came out and there he was. He instantly knew he was in trouble and went to his cage. I picked up the parts and went to scold him and he bit me as soon as my hand went in his cage.

Having a hard time now with what to do. I have always said I would never own a dog that bites. This is his second capital offense since the pup showed up.

Wow! I've never introduced a pup to our dogs so I don't know how they would react.
The only time our yellow lab ever showed any aggression was when my kid went to grab his rawhide chew, he growled.
I immediately picked up the chew toy and whacked him on top of the head pretty hard but only once. He was probably about 5 years old at the time.
That was the first and last time he ever did anything like that.
I hope you get your dog situation straightened out. (y)

How old and how long have you had him?
He is 6 and since a pup. We have always been a 2 dog house till we got him. He wouldn’t house break so he ended up in the garage indoor/outdoor kennel. Our older lab couldn’t handle his energy level so it worked until she passed 3 years ago. Then he came inside and all was well for about 2 years until the new pup came home. Guess he just wants his turn, but the two of them play like there is no tomorrow.

Once we leave the room something is likely to get destroyed. We have bought a ton of toys to try and focus his attention on. But he leaves them and chews something he is not supposed to have. Every time he does it, it’s the same, as soon as I walk and see it he cowers and runs into his cage.

love the dog and he was here first but it’s the wife’s Pup which isn’t going anywhere. It’s a designer yip yap I have wayyy to much money invested into.

It’s been a hour and he has completely forgotten he is in trouble and is whining to come out of his cage.

tough spot for sure….

No advice on what to do or not do, but I've always been told their crate is their space. Basically don't mess with them or let kids mess with them in their space. Just a sucky situation all around. Will he swim?? Maybe it's just a matter of burning up all that GSP juice a few times week.

11 years ago we bought a pup. Everything was very promising until we had her neutered at 6 months.

I think instead of neutering, the vet installed testicles out of pitbull.

The dog's demeanor changed completely. The dog bit my 5 year old hard, then turned on me and bit me.

She went for a ride with me, and she was put down. I was sad. Something had gone wrong with the simple procedure, I believe she was in pain, infected or something.

It's a tough spot. I don't envy you. Do what's right for the family.

New pup in the house and the older dog isn’t taking to well. Chewing up everything in sight even though he is getting plenty of attention. Today for the second time he chewed up my kids drone. Their toys have become his favorite thing to destroy. He actually is seeking them out. This drone was put up and charging, he got onto the furniture and move stuff to get it. Pulled it away from the wall and charger then proceeded to chew it to bits in the middle of the living room. I had just left and went to the bathroom, came out and there he was. He instantly knew he was in trouble and went to his cage. I picked up the parts and went to scold him and he bit me as soon as my hand went in his cage.

Having a hard time now with what to do. I have always said I would never own a dog that bites. This is his second capital offense since the pup showed up.
Being that he was cornered, and felt threatened, I'm likely to give him a pass. Curious what the first offense was?

No dog trainer here and I don't condone owning a dog who bites either, but I wouldn't be entirely mad at that dog for biting. That's HIS space after all. I got 3 dogs and all are crate trained with their own crates. (Old dog rarely uses his anymore) but I never reach in there for anything unless I'm setting their food bowls down too feed them.

We've got a 3 year old Vizsla who's grown increasingly jealous after introducing a second dog (GSP pup) and having our first child. He growls and grumbles at EVERYTHING, even when you are petting him! He's also become very sensitive to any sort of scolding or discipline. I've been concerned about him biting, like yours did, but we've had the GSP for almost 2 years and the baby for 1 and no real issues, other than the growling. I make a diligent effort to give him some 1-on-1 affection and really praise him when he behaves well. I'm no expert, but this seems to reassure him that he's still part of the pack.

Being that he was cornered, and felt threatened, I'm likely to give him a pass.
X2.

Your reaction puts him on the defensive and the fact that he cowers when he knows you are mad tells me he doesn't feel safe when you are angry. Dogs have a short memory when they do bad stuff. My dog craps on the carpet and the wife berates them for hours which the dog doesn't even know why she is yelling 20 minutes after it happens. Immediate correction of bad behavior is one thing but prolonged "punishment" messes with a dogs head.

Heard a story one time about a guy trying to house train a dog. Every time the dog would make a mess in the house, the guy would rub the dogs nose in it, scold the dog, whack him with a news paper hard enough to get a yelp out of the dog and then throw the dog outside. End result? Dog would crap in the house, sniff it, yelp and run to the door.

We've got a 3 year old Vizsla who's grown increasingly jealous after introducing a second dog (GSP pup) and having our first child. He growls and grumbles at EVERYTHING, even when you are petting him! He's also become very sensitive to any sort of scolding or discipline. I've been concerned about him biting, like yours did, but we've had the GSP for almost 2 years and the baby for 1 and no real issues, other than the growling. I make a diligent effort to give him some 1-on-1 affection and really praise him when he behaves well. I'm no expert, but this seems to reassure him that he's still part of the pack.
My Springer does the same thing, out of the blue tho, no kids or dog added. Just growls or grumbles about most things.

As for OP. Try getting back into a hard routine with crate in there too. Maybe he needs that constant routine since the new dog is around and throwing him off his usual?

No dog trainer here and I don't condone owning a dog who bites either, but I wouldn't be entirely mad at that dog for biting. That's HIS space after all. I got 3 dogs and all are crate trained with their own crates. (Old dog rarely uses his anymore) but I never reach in there for anything unless I'm setting their food bowls down too feed them.
Being bad and running to his crate to avoid getting scolded does not fly either.

First off, I would quit quit putting him in positions where he can chew stuff up when you’re not around. As much as a pain in the ass as it might be, it’s what you need to do to start setting him up for success here. If you don’t trust him, crate him. You can wire him up with the collar, sneak out and give him the nuclear code when he goes to chew something up, but you’re addressing the symptom and not the problem.

Also, it sounds like there’s a hierarchical issue here in terms of pack structure. You need to do a hard reset on things, as in right now. Look up Leerburg Kennels, they have some really good stuff on dealing with dogs that are dominant and or aggressive for different reasons.

Lastly, I agree with physical exercise for dogs but I would argue mental exercise is just as important. Training and obedience drills are an absolute necessity for dogs IMO. Even when I am just hiking with Finn, we are always working on obedience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had chewed something up and my wife was trying to get it out of his mouth and got bit. His canine when thru her thumb.
man that's a hard one too...Don't envy you . Definately a loss of trust (for both parties)

This is an interesting situation. It sounds to me you're certain the behavior is related to the new pup in the house. First off, is the dog intact and has there been aggression concerns in the past? If there is history, this needs to be addressed. I'm generally not heavy handed with my dogs......but they know who the pack leader is and if tested they are reminded swiftly, with enough intensity to leave zero doubt.
I would personally look at the acting out issue and the biting incident separately. Acting out by chewing or destruction at this age is purposeful and he should be aware of consequences. I suggest treating him like a puppy if he acts like one. Start by taking away freedoms until he acts appropriately. I suggest you don't feed into the problem by feeling sorry for him or making excuses as to why he is acting out (new pup). He threw a temper tantrum, now it's over. Time to act like a well behaved adult dog. Sorry Fido life happens and you deal with it.
The biting incident is IMO very serious and should not be accepted. His crate may be a "safe space" but you're the pack leader and he seems to have forgotten that. I've used crates in the past and respect the dog's space but it is not an area to run to in order to avoid consequences.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back