Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

He bit the hand that feeds him. 🤬

He wouldn’t house break so he ended up in the garage indoor/outdoor kennel.
Is he house broken now?

I’m questioning the dog’s mental stability.

Last edited by a moderator:
he was here first but it’s the wife’s Pup which isn’t going anywhere. It’s a designer yip yap I have wayyy to much money invested into.
I'm confused. Which dog is the wife's yip yap and what are the breeds we're talking about? Somehow I thought there was a Lab in the mix here.

This is an interesting situation. It sounds to me you're certain the behavior is related to the new pup in the house. First off, is the dog intact and has there been aggression concerns in the past? If there is history, this needs to be addressed. I'm generally not heavy handed with my dogs......but they know who the pack leader is and if tested they are reminded swiftly, with enough intensity to leave zero doubt.
I would personally look at the acting out issue and the biting incident separately. Acting out by chewing or destruction at this age is purposeful and he should be aware of consequences. I suggest treating him like a puppy if he acts like one. Start by taking away freedoms until he acts appropriately. I suggest you don't feed into the problem by feeling sorry for him or making excuses as to why he is acting out (new pup). He threw a temper tantrum, now it's over. Time to act like a well behaved adult dog. Sorry Fido life happens and you deal with it.
The biting incident is IMO very serious and should not be accepted. His crate may be a "safe space" but you're the pack leader and he seems to have forgotten that. I've used crates in the past and respect the dog's space but it is not an area to run to in order to avoid consequences.

He is was fixed before he came in the house. Zero aggression prior to the last few months with the pup. There is a hierarchy in the house. To him it It’s me then him and then everyone else. He generally listens well and occasionally displays selective hearing with my wife and kids.

Is he house broken now?

I’m questioning the dog’s mental stability.
Yes, giving him a out door kennel and time for his bladder to catch up with his growth solved it. He is hands down the smartest dog I’ve ever had. But was a one person dog, he chose me and only me. Prior to the pup showing up Covid had my wife home 24/7 for a year. She spoiled the shit out of him and he fell in love with her attention.

I was adamant about not wanting another dog and her creating a jealousy issue with getting her new yip yap. But it’s hard to tell her NO when you just spent 2600 on a moose tag.

I agree, that’s a tough situation. I’d have a hard time getting rid of my older dog who hasn’t shown any aggression until a new pup came around.
My daughter has a cat. My wife decided to get a kitten. My daughters cat freaked out, so the kitten went back to the shelter the next day

Yes, giving him a out door kennel and time for his bladder to catch up with his growth solved it. He is hands down the smartest dog I’ve ever had. But was a one person dog, he chose me and only me. Prior to the pup showing up Covid had my wife home 24/7 for a year. She spoiled the shit out of him and he fell in love with her attention.

I was adamant about not wanting another dog and her creating a jealousy issue with getting her new yip yap. But it’s hard to tell her NO when you just spent 2600 on a moose tag.
Here's your issue. He got used to her attention. My guess is he gets less to no attention from her now. This has created a shift in the pack and he's not sure what to do. I would consult a professional trainer for advice. This is 100% his confusion over the situation now. As humans, we don't see the subtle things dogs see.

Here's your issue. He got used to her attention. My guess is he gets less to no attention from her now. This has created a shift in the pack and he's not sure what to do. I would consult a professional trainer for advice. This is 100% his confusion over the situation now. As humans, we don't see the subtle things dogs see.
That’s where I am at too.

It created a shift in the pack that was already upside down. This exacerbated it.
From what we have read it’s not uncommon in this breed to imprint on just one person and to have emotional withdrawal. This is our first and probably last go with GSPs. It’s not because of the biting. We got him with the best of intentions but found out we are not high energy dog people.

From what we have read it’s not uncommon in this breed to imprint on just one person and to have emotional withdrawal. This is our first and probably last go with GSPs. It’s not because of the biting. We got him with the best of intentions but found out we are not high energy dog people.
I get the feeling that you’re having a hard time aligning with my philosophy. I’ll bow out, I wish you the best. Tough situation.

Had chewed something up and my wife was trying to get it out of his mouth and got bit. His canine when thru her thumb.
He's got to go. I could see some unacceptable behavior in the first scenario where he was cowering in his kennel, but putting a tooth through your wife's thumb just isn't acceptable. You've been bit, she's been bit, likely just a matter of time before the kids get bit.

I get the feeling that you’re having a hard time aligning with my philosophy. I’ll bow out, I wish you the best. Tough situation.
I appreciate your comments. I just don’t know what more we could of done to try and correct it. Tonight is just a lot of emotion on both sides of the collar.

He'd already be in the ground if he was mine. I'm zero tolerance for biting.. No excuses.. Just the liability aspect of a dog who has bitten is enough for me to not want it. Being that he is a known bite risk if he bit anyone else you would be in deep dodo knowing before hand..

Not to mention dogs are not people. If he will bite you when threatened and you say he's bonded to you what would stop him from biting a stranger..

I'm pretty sure I will catch flack for this but I've seen dogs do some pretty terrible things to kids. Of course the owners made excuses but almost every time when all things were revealed it came out that the dog had bitten people before..

I'm not going to say I'm sorry for how I stand on this one. Put it down..

He'd already be in the ground if he was mine. I'm zero tolerance for biting.. No excuses.. Just the liability aspect of a dog who has bitten is enough for me to not want it. Being that he is a known bite risk if he bit anyone else you would be in deep dodo knowing before hand..

Not to mention dogs are not people. If he will bite you when threatened and you say he's bonded to you what would stop him from biting a stranger..

I'm pretty sure I will catch flack for this but I've seen dogs do some pretty terrible things to kids. Of course the owners made excuses but almost every time when all things were revealed it came out that the dog had bitten people before..

I'm not going to say I'm sorry for how I stand on this one. Put it down..
Not going to give you flak at all, I am having those same thoughts. I have always said I am a zero tolerance guy for a animal that bites. However, now that I’m in that position, I am finding out it’s not so black and white.

For a dog with a clean track record and no signs of aggression for 6 years then to two incidents in a month. Both revolving around a new puppy and chewing things. It’s not so easy of a decision

This is an issue as well. I have a German shepherd/lab mix, a Border Collie straight from a working ranch, and a puppy German shepherd. You need to make time to focus on your dog 1 on 1. I usually work with one of my dogs for about 20 minutes when I come home on a rotating basis. (Mainly the border collie and the puppy, the old dog is just an old dog now a days) but my border collie will literally tear everything to shreds if he hasn’t been on a run with me in 3 days.

If I was in your situation I’d let the bite slide. Not saying I wouldn’t feel angry about it but like I mentioned before you, or your wife or whoever it was, went into HIS space. I would take this as a opportunity to start working with the dog more often. Either fetching or walks, or working on obedience. I’m with @JLS I’d get a shock collar. But you HAVE TO WATCH IT. Give it a reasonable Zap when it’s about to or caught in the act of chewing or damaging something. You CANNOT use it as punishment AFTER THE FACT. At that point your just abusing your dog. Our puppy had a bad habit of grabbing the pillows off our patio furniture every morning when I’d let them out. Around 4 days of sitting at the window with my coffee and the shock remote in my other hand she stopped grabbing the pillows.

I know you said it’s you then your dog then everyone else. What I’d start with is hand feeding the dog it’s regular amount of food for a few nights. Then start letting your wife feed it once or twice a week so your dog realizes it’s below your wife in the pack status.

Im no dog trainer by any means but having 3 high energy dogs has made my wife and I realize we need to establish some order around the house. Sounds like you could probably use some especially with adding another dog to the mix.

Back