Caribou Gear

HCN on western public lands and outdoor rec

I kind of went off on a tangent when looking at the source of some of the graphs in the HCN article. Many of the graphs are sourced to the Center For Western Priorities, whom I hadn't heard much about until very recently but HCN seems to use them a lot. They are an advocacy news aggregator. A lot of NGOs sure did pop up after the passing of Citizens United. Not saying any of the figures are anything but accurate mind you, just that whenever I see their name I pause. The Center used to get funding from Arabella via the New Venture Fund. Arabella was a way for people to divest from big energy and send $ to orgs that would assist in a more PC type investing. I think they now get $ from Resources Legacy Fund who also give to orgs such as BHA, TRCP, DU, and Planned Parenthood of Mar Monte for instance. I could go on and on, like heading down a rabbit hole.

I have no idea on the validity of the data behind the graphs or not. But I thought it was interesting considering the recent discussions on here about the influx of new people and new hunters in the western states, I thought this tied in nicely since apparently "we" spend a LOT more time on public lands in the west than we do on some of the big entertainment events.

Back