MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

HB 505 - Elk Need Your Help

My opinion thats there overall goal. 1 tag per 640 acres and to be able to sell them. $$$$$$

Ben, agree with you on the wardens working for FWP, their resources are
stretched way to thin.
I personally don’t like this bill. 10 bull tags for each 640 acre landowner is insane. The bull elk quality will look like public land mule deer in 1-2 yrs. Harvesting bulls also does nothing to address over population.
If the number were reduced, which I assume amendments were thought to happen but apparently haven’t, to reduce number to 1-2 tags per 640 I maybe could support it. As written, no way.
Eric, I hope you contact the committee and let them know your opinion with your background information.

Less larceny is ... still larceny.
I'm with Ontario on this. it's not the number of tags that matters. Any tags is too many because of the precedent it sets. Still Eric's opinion as an outfitter would carry a lot of weight. I do hope @Eric Albus that you'll take the time to share it with the legislators.

Last edited:
My opinion give them 1 tag a yr if they are eligible by fwp laws. But not a sellable/transferable tag. But limited to the main ranch not different broken up pieces. Also stop the spike hunting and more tags for everyone based off science. Obviously this bill is only to benufit rich paying people.

My opinion give them 1 tag a yr if they are eligible by fwp laws. But not a sellable/transferable tag. But limited to the main ranch not different broken up pieces. Also stop the spike hunting and more tags for everyone based off science. Obviously this bill is only to benufit rich paying people.
I think FWP has a tool like this in place currently. I've hunted in a limited draw bull district that gives landowners of 640 acres or more one single guaranteed A5 tag. I'm pretty sure it has to go to the deeded owner of the land, but I'm not sure about transferability. The rest of us city slickers have to try through the lottery system to get drawn. I'm totally good with that system cause I've seen it work for an old timer who is guaranteed the ability to feed his family off his own land.

Landowner Preference​

To claim landowner preference for a deer permit, a landowner must own at least 160 acres of contiguous land that is primarily for agricultural purposes within the applied for hunting district. Fifteen percent of each hunting district quota for deer B and antelope licenses and for deer permits is set aside for landowners in that hunting district.

For a landowner preference elk permit, the landowner must own or be contracting to purchase at least 640 acres of contiguous land used by elk and verified by FWP, within the applied for hunting district. Fifteen percent of each hunting district quota for elk licenses and permits is set aside for landowners in that hunting district

SACounty landowners are in a seperate drawing for bull/buck permits. Not gaurenteed every yr. They are after multiple LE tags and to be able to sell them.

Not a rocket scientist but if we elimated spike hunting and gave out more bull permits, everyone prob be happy. But then those spike hunters be forced to kill cow elk. Overall u kill more elk. Not that i believe any unit is over objective. I think its BS fwp manages off of elk tolerance

I want to send another email tomorrow. I tend to ramble and spit sentence fragments...It's like Tommy Boy trying to explain Callahan brakes

You can stick a bad bill up your bull no wait it would have to be my bull (elk) on your land...

Thank you to all who testified and are writing messages. As a non resident don't know what pull i have except annoying representatives. Just hate all these attacks and changing the goal posts with point schemes. Wish you could pass a voter initiative that would make parks and wildlife the ones responsible for parks and wildlife management.

Landowner Preference​

To claim landowner preference for a deer permit, a landowner must own at least 160 acres of contiguous land that is primarily for agricultural purposes within the applied for hunting district. Fifteen percent of each hunting district quota for deer B and antelope licenses and for deer permits is set aside for landowners in that hunting district.

For a landowner preference elk permit, the landowner must own or be contracting to purchase at least 640 acres of contiguous land used by elk and verified by FWP, within the applied for hunting district. Fifteen percent of each hunting district quota for elk licenses and permits is set aside for landowners in that hunting district

SACounty landowners are in a seperate drawing for bull/buck permits. Not gaurenteed every yr. They are after multiple LE tags and to be able to sell them.
I would also add that the landowner can designate the preference to a family member or an employ. Landowner Preference does not grantee a tag in units with few tags and lots of qualifying landowners but it does up the odds considerably. For example in 799 using landowner preference the odds are close to 1 in 3. I have not used it in years.

Landowner Preference​

Thanks for clarifying. Perhaps this landowner was meaning "virtually guaranteed" based on the small number of landowners that qualify in this particular district. He is a nice guy, almost 80, and has shot some toads and continues to shoot toads to this day.

I’m hearing there are amendments to this bill but nothing is on the website showing them. Does anyone know what the amendments are yet?

Not a rocket scientist but if we elimated spike hunting and gave out more bull permits, everyone prob be happy. But then those spike hunters be forced to kill cow elk. Overall u kill more elk. Not that i believe any unit is over objective. I think its BS fwp manages off of elk tolerance

This is because you do not house and feed elk.

Eric albus curious how are deer herds managed on the milk river. And is there a higher tolerance for the number of deer because of a profit from outfitting. With those questions asked i fully understand that elk eat alot more forage than deer.

Eric albus curious how are deer herds managed on the milk river. And is there a higher tolerance for the number of deer because of a profit from outfitting. With those questions asked i fully understand that elk eat alot more forage than deer.
Some of the reasons elk are less tolerated.

Like you said, Elk are bigger and eat allot more.
Elk are much harder on fencing.
Elk tend to be in big concentrated herds while deer are more spread out.
Elk are a relatively new experience for many landowners in MT
There are probably more that I am not thinking about.

Last edited:
Some of the reasons elk are less tolerated.

Like you said, Elk are bigger and eat allot more.
Elk are much harder of fencing.
Elk tend to be in big concentrated herds while deer are more spread out.
Elk are a relatively new experience for many landowners in MT
There are probably more that I am not thinking about.
I think you are correct on those points. Having 100 head of elk is like running 100 head of yearling steers.....only harder on the fences.....and you can keep said yearling steers out of your alfalfa and hay barley during the summer. Not to mention, when you have elk......the orange coats show up in the fall and want to give you a smoked Turkey and a bottle of Black Velvet to gain access to them....which usually doesn’t work.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back