Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Have you ever seen a Wolf while hunting?

Excaliber

I was just wondering out of all the guys who have hunted in Wyoming, Montana and here in Idaho how many of you guys have actually seen a wolf while hunting.

I'll start. I've have not seen one yet.

I've seen 2 large packs and 2 lone wolfs. Have seen tracks dozens of times.

I haven't seen any wolves in Idaho but don't hunt areas that have wolves in them yet..........yet being the key word.

I've seen three all while hunting with a bow in hand. Saw two at the other end of a large meadow from me and called in one to about 15 feet later that year with a cow call. Have been seeing tracks for years.

Seen them several times hunting near Grangeville, ID. as many as three together. Had one panting outside the tent for about 20seconds, long enough to completely freak out my hunting partner. Been seeing them for 20 years while hunting NW Montana, first ones I saw there it was probably 1984.

i've seen six......mom dad and four pups less then 1/4 mile from my camp..... that was up near idaho city.

Seen one while fishing in Montana, not yet while hunting. Hopefully that chance will come while I have a tag in my pocket.

I've seen 5. The latest one was were I archery hunt, where I had never seen any before. They are widening their territory and I don't like it. I was actually working a big sounding raspy old bull and was swarmed by a good size pack. The howling began and the bull was gone. I saw one of the pack members at about 150 yards and then they were gone. The little bastards can sure disappear in a hurry.

I have seen 4 all well cat hunting. one time I seen a coyote across this clearing about 400 to 500 yards away and I was on my sled so I thought I would run it down. I got about 50 yards from it just be for it hit the trees. I sure am glade I did not catch it I don't think my sled would have made it on top of that wolf.

Saw one and head two others howling up the east fork of the Bitterroot. One we saw was within 100 yards sneaking up on a coyote on top of a bald ridgeline. Coyote kept yipping and the two wolves we didn't see were howling away. The wolf we saw was quitely sneaking in the back door. Pretty skilled hunting in my opinion. Would this be called Party hunting??????

Last season while hunting for Antelope 6 wolves came in, they were hunting lopes and had one dead close by, one had a collar, and was limping badly. Then later in season while hunting elk I had 6 come to my call, they then went up to where my boy was setting, and started howling, he latter told me that 3 were on one side of him and 3 in front, the ones that started the howling were warning the others about the danger. Was nerve racking being a dad but I got up there and ran the wolves off but my kid thought it was really neat. One of the pups of this pack was collared also. One of the adults was almost a pure white coloration.

I was up past Grand Jean had a pack come within 45yds of me hunting never howled, never made a sound i was set up on the edge of a meadow waiting for the elk of course they never came but the wolves did. Very nerve racking when they are that close and u only have stick and string.

They are running around all over the Wyoming range. They make a killing on the winter ranges of the deer there and on the feed grounds for the elk. I have never seen elk stay so bunched up.

I had a late season tag 2 years ago and found a wolf kill. It was one of the craziest things I had ever seen. Their tracks are huge. I saw a couple cross Fish Creek on my way up to cheese pass as well. Know a lady from the area who had her cat get munched by a lone wolf from her backyard. I had a hard time not laughing when she told me the story. Needless to say I am ready to get a tag, but my state seems to like grandstanding.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back