Have questions on buying a "unit wide" tag for NM elk

bushwcker

NW Ark is where I live Park Co. MT is home
I've not purchased a "unit wide" cow tag in NM before, I have also seen "land owner" tags too I am going to assume that is just like buying a antelope "land owner" tag. I've drawn tags years ago when a person could draw, then just found public land to hunt on, pretty normal stuff. My question is how does all this work, I know that's a pretty broad question but I just want to be sure I have my ducks in row on this or at least some heads up. The tag is for unit 51 so there's plenty of public land to access, and seems to be decent elk populations.(not looking for honey holes or your fav spot).

UW LO tags are used on all accessable public lands in unit & the ranch it was issued on. Tag should have map of the ranch it is assigned to.
Call Sante Fe G&F office and ask to speak to James Pittman or Aaron Roberts.They are in charge of the LO elk program in NM.

Yelp unit wide means u get to hunt all the public within unit and all private that is designated as "unit wide". If it's a ranch only tag, it's obviously just for tgat ranch

I was looking into this as well. So, its a landowner authorization. Not technically a tag. It can either be ranch only, so the landowners ranch. Or unit wide, which is all public land within the unit. One caveat to the unit wide tag is if it is unit wide, the landowner has to let public land hunters on the property. So a map could say it's private, which it is. But if they get unit wide tags any hunter can go there. In any event. Once you negotiate and purchase an authorization from an individual. You then have to log on to online license sales nmdgf page. You enter the authorization and then have to buy the tag for that season as well.

Say I buy a landowner authorization for 2500. The tag via the draw costs 755 or whatever the HD tag was. I then have to buy the tag as well.

I bought a 51 tag a few years ago, as stated you buy a voucher from the landowner not a tag, then you pay the state for the actual tag and license, I thought it was an additional 680 dollars or something like that? If you get the 51 tag let me know, I can point you into some decent areas.

I never shot an Elk but passed a few cows and a few bulls, one i should have shot. Tons of roads and a lot of pressure in some areas, but I hunted some lower country and never saw anyone!

Hey Hank and others, This is totally unrelated. But do you have an opinion on former New Mexico governor Gary Johnson? I can't pull myself to vote for the other two. And I've liked what I've read. But don't know if its all bs or not.

Check the public land section on GJ..

Also on LO tags ,yes they are just authorazations & you still have to buy tag & lic.
UW tags are also in same time frame,dates, as all the draw hunts.
RO ,Any Weapon, Mature Bull & Antlerless authorazations are good for any 5 consecutive days from Oct 1st-Dec31st. So big choice. ES(bow) are for Sept. only. Deeded lands only.

Hey Hank and others, This is totally unrelated. But do you have an opinion on former New Mexico governor Gary Johnson? I can't pull myself to vote for the other two. And I've liked what I've read. But don't know if its all bs or not.
Gary was a fairly good Governor, he had too many skiing mishaps and banged his head a time or two. I could not vote for him for anything.

Back