Havalon or Gerber Vitals?

Ok I'm just going to play the devils advocate with this question. Do those knives that use replaceable blades have someplace to put the used blades? I'd hate to think all the used blades are just being thrown on the ground. If they are stainless steel I don't thing they will rust away in a couple of years.

http://www.gerbergear.com/Hunting/Knives/Vital-Replacement-Blades_31-002739

This is the other cool feature Gerber came up with. It houses your blade replacements and has a disposal section that you drop them in so they aren't laying around in the woods.

Oak I'm not sure if the Havalons will fit or not. They are really nice though. :D

For those that are snapping them while boning out (which I'm guilty as well) I've personally witnessed Randy use the same blade on multiple animals. I think it's just a matter of practice and finesse.

Last edited:
I have both the Havalon and Outdoor edge and prefer the Havalon. I used the Outdoor edge on a mule deer last fall and had to change out blades and then the blade would not stay in. If you get any gunk in the channel it doesn't like to lock in place well.

Blade is easier to change but if it doesn't stay in it doesn't matter. The new Gerber looks like the Havalon so I would image it would be similar.

I bought the Outdoor Edge on a closeout and thought I would try it. I also noticed not many places around here have the replacement blades in stock.

Anyway, I think you can never have too many knives but my vote goes to Havalon.

By the way I always carry my used blades out and dispose properly.

Last edited:
I have both havalon and OE. Got them both through Eastman's subscription renewal for S/H. Although I will not likely be renewing my Eastman's subscription because I find this site more enjoyable and informative, I do like the knives.

Havalon has a finer point. I think it is superior when it comes to detailed butchering/caping. OE has a heavier duty blade and is easier/safer to change. Although tissue can get caught between the blade and the sleeve. Supposedly the OE blades can be sharpened in a pinch, although I have never tried.

Overall, the OE will be in my ELK/Deer kill bag while the havalon will be in my waterfowl blind bag.

BTW, Eastman's is running another renewal promotion with the newer, lighter OE.

Last edited:
For those that are snapping them while boning out (which I'm guilty as well) I've personally witnessed Randy use the same blade on multiple animals. I think it's just a matter of practice and finesse.

Very well could be. But in my experience, trying to gut an elk on a steep hillside in the middle of a blizzard in the dark does not lend itself to finesse. Maybe for some, but not me. I want a blade that doesn't break off with a little bit of side torque.

Those things are dang sharp, I'll give them that. The Havalon is a great idea and a good start. But things need to evolve.

I've used my Havalon for a few years now. At first I would break a blade once in awhile but I don't remember the last time I did. You get used to what you can and can't do. I always have a leatherman on my belt so changing blades is never a problem.

As mentioned already, you can use the sleeve of the new blade to put the used blade in and pack it out. I can't imagine just tossing one of those scalpel blades on the ground but I'll bet it happens more often than it should. I'm always open to trying a new product so might have to give the Gerber a try.

Not accusing anyone. I only ask this because I still see pull tabs from cans still on the ground and it's been probably 30-35 years since cans had them.

I carefully place my used blades in my PBR can before tossing it in the bushes. Sure want to look out for the next guy

Not accusing anyone. I only ask this because I still see pull tabs from cans still on the ground and it's been probably 30-35 years since cans had them.

I saw a pull tab can in the ditch this last weekend out scouting.

I haven't seen one of those for a long time.

I wish the Havalon Titan had been out when I bought my piranta. Might be the best of both worlds.
titan-jim-shockey-signature-series-1.gif

Though I'll agree that the Havalon blade replacement isn't the most convenient, I really have had trouble changing blades using a multitool or hemostat. The Gerber system does look 'better' in this regard though. But, I'm cheap and I'm not sure it's worth it at this point for me.

Last edited:
I can understand for boning out purposes and quartering an animal that a stouter blade would be nice.

I am failing to understand why you need such a stout knife is needed to simply gut the animal.

I have a little pelvic saw that I use for the pelvis and I also use it to cut through the ribcage if I decide to cut it all the way up through there which I do if I am not capping the animal out.

Today is the first day I've looked at my Outdoor Edge knife since it was given to me at Christmas.

Here's a pic of my Havalon and Outdoor Edge. The H is 1.5oz whereas the OE is 4oz. The OE blade is very sturdy - you can't bend it like the H blade. Plus it has further support in the handle so I wouldn't think it would break unless you really lever it.

Changing the blade on the Havalon is scary. Furthermore, I can't remember how to do it after 9 months so I'd be trying to remember in the field. I could see getting seriously cut in the field trying to change it with bloody hands; even with pliers it's scary.

On the other hand, the OE blade change is a no-brainer. You have to push the button fairly firmly (on the down side of knife) so I don't think you could release the blade accidentally while gutting a deer. The blades can be ordered from OE for $24.95 per dozen.

The Havalon worked fine for me for several deer last year. I think I could get two deer per blade. I never had a problem with the blade breaking. The edge might be slightly sharper for the H, but I could shave arm hair with the OE so it is good enough. The H blade stays stainless, but the blade and holder of the OE must not be since the instructions warn of rust.

I haven't used the OE yet, however it seems like a way better knife: sturdier and the blade is much easier/safer to change. Downsides are it is larger and weighs 2.5oz more and you have to watch rust on the blade and holder.

Bzzzt. I was wrong. After using the OE on two animals I've decided the metal on the OE is way too soft. The edge bent over after skinning about 1/2 deer and removing the backstraps. While you can sometimes recover the edge by using a steel that negates the point of a disposable knife.

Also, if you don't clean the blade and the holder immediately after using it then it is very difficult/dangerous to remove the blade.

Havalon has been treating me well. I could do without the extremely sharp tip, however.

I like my oe. Easy to change blades,unless you let it sit with blood in it then it wants to stick and pliers will be needed. You can change the blades easily if the blood or meat parts haven't dried in knife. Took mine to wy antelope hunting this year and using the gutless method dressed two antelope per blade. I would recommend it have no experience with the other two.

I have a havalon and pretty much can't stand it! The blades break too easy (which can be super dangersous!) and have problems skinning animals without putting gobs of holes in capes. The havalon blades I've used don't flex and are brittle.

I do a lot of skinnig of capes (including lifesized) and prefer Victorinox knives. The nice thing is they are only $8.00 to $10.00 each and are one of the easiest blades to sharpen available. They have been the best caping knife I've found...and I've tried a bunch!

I use a Case or Buck knife , about 4 inch blade. I sharpen with a diamond stone and bring a small sharpener for touch ups in the field. These have always worked for me and I like a sharp sturdy blade in the field.
I use a scalpel with changeable blades for caping around the eyes, nose and lips..

I have both the Piranta and the Outdoor Edge. I cannot comment on the Gerber, but if it is like their regular knives, I won't own one. I never had a Gerber that kept an edge decently.

That being said, I like both of the knives that I have, within their capabilities. In both cases, the blades are not very stout and dull quicker than my good D-2 custom knife by far. The blade on the Razor dulls extremely quickly, although it re-sharpens quickly, also. The Piranta blade change is a bit dangerous if you are not careful, while the OE is very simple.

The Piranta is a great knife for a trapper that skins small stuff, as it is precise, sharp and re-sharpens easily. I believe the Piranta blades hold an edge longer than the OE blades and they both re-sharpen quickly on a diamond stone.

In my opinion, these knives are handy and light, but lack the durability of a good fixed-blade knife. They are great for people that don't want to, or cannot sharpen a knife. I re-sharpen the replaceable blades, too, so that is a non-issue for me. The only time that I replace one, is if it breaks.

If it has the same type of blade, the Gerber would probably be right in the mix with these two.

I hands-down prefer my fixed-blades for elk, but I compromise and carry a solid knife and the OE while elk hunting. My Piranta rides in my truck year around, with extra blades and a small Cabela's multi-tool to change the blade out when it breaks.

I also prefer a fixed blade, my Knives of Alaska Alpha Wolf. Properly sharpened, it's good for an entire elk without a touch up.

I am really happy with my Havalon. I've used it for 2 whitetails, an elk, 6 antelope, and a couple of beavers. I think I've only broken one blade. Now, when I borrow it to my dad, he breaks them left and right. I don't like sharpening blades, am terrible at it, and don't want to carry a sharpener with me, so they are perfect for a guy like me. In Wyoming this year I was doing two antelope per blade with no problems at all.

Back