Caribou Gear Tarp

Hating the 7mm Rem. Mag

BuzzH

The one caliber I never could stand is the 7mm rem. mag.

A few years ago my Dad won one in a raffle, plain jane model 700 BDL. I agreed to take it off his hands as he has no real need for it.

I took it to the range to stretch its legs and found it interesting with factory ammo. Been using it for the last 4-5 years as my go-to rifle. It liked the first load I tried, 62 grains of IMR 4831. With the recent powder shortage, cant find much of it so switched to the same powder charge in the H4831. Took it to the range today and tried it at 100 yards wouldnt you know it...liked it as good...if not slightly better.

Not bad for a freebie...slowly warming to the 7mm...

IMG_2931.JPG

That is one round I never had much use for, either. Initially, it was not really much better than a .30-06 with the heavier bullets. (Yeah, a little better way out there, but it used quite a bit more powder for minimal return, IMHO.) New powders have probably made the difference larger, but if I was going that route with a new gun, I'd probably go 7mm RUM. From what I have seen, that is a helluva round...

For a long time, a .300 Win mag was the only centerfire rifle I had, and it worked for everything with a 180 gr Nosler Solid Base.

The one caliber I never could stand is the 7mm rem. mag.

A few years ago my Dad won one in a raffle, plain jane model 700 BDL. I agreed to take it off his hands as he has no real need for it.

I took it to the range to stretch its legs and found it interesting with factory ammo. Been using it for the last 4-5 years as my go-to rifle. It liked the first load I tried, 62 grains of IMR 4831. With the recent powder shortage, cant find much of it so switched to the same powder charge in the H4831. Took it to the range today and tried it at 100 yards wouldnt you know it...liked it as good...if not slightly better.

I have had similar experience with that round, and for some reason decided that the H4831 on a Federal Large Rifle Magnum primer shooting 160 partitions couldn't be improved on.

That is one round I never had much use for, either. Initially, it was not really much better than a .30-06 with the heavier bullets. (Yeah, a little better way out there, but it used quite a bit more powder for minimal return, IMHO.) New powders have probably made the difference larger, but if I was going that route with a new gun, I'd probably go 7mm RUM. From what I have seen, that is a helluva round...

For a long time, a .300 Win mag was the only centerfire rifle I had, and it worked for everything with a 180 gr Nosler Solid Base.

CH, I love my 7mm RUM, but it's a powder eating dog. The 2 loads that I have had success with ( sub moa ) are a 140 gr accubond, with 96.5 gr of Retumbo running at around 3350 fps, and a 160 gr accubond with 99 gr of H50BMG. So as you can see it's not cheap to reload it. Also it is a fussy rifle, I was around 300 round's into it before I had success. But that may be just my rifle. If you don't reload for it, the only factory round's I've been able to find are 140gr Rem core-loct, and they didn't shoot well in my rifle, also they were hard to find.

Last edited:
I've never had a 7 Mag and probably never will, but I sure don't see anything to "hate" about the cartridge. After all it's just about as good as the 30-06. :D

In reality it's not so much the cartridge that matters anyway, it's the rifle. And if the rifle is accurate, the name of the cartridge makes absolutely no difference.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see where you said what bullet you were shooting?

Funny to hear some of the strange comments the armchair guys have about the 7MM. The most recent stupid story I heard went something like this.

I was at Sportsman's Warehouse last winter and some guy claims he shot a moose, right between the eyes with his 7MM, and it glanced off, and the moose walked away, just shaking his head. WTF? :confused:

At first I thought the guy was some story teller and was looking for laughs. Then I realized he was trying to talk his buddy out of buying a 7MM. I stood and listened over their shoulder, trying to control my laughter.

He also went on to claim that a 7MM goes at 4,500 fps (never heard of one that hot), and when it hits a deer or antelope, one of two things happens. 1) Either it hits no bone, and goes right through, creating nothing but a pin hole, or 2) It hits bone and blows the critter in half.

Someone that stupid should not be allowed to own a firearm. But, for whatever reason, when I hear some nitwit talking bad about a great caliber, the caliber they always seem to talk about is the 7MM.

If the US treasury had a dollar for every animal killed with a 7MM, Social Security would still be solvent when I retire in 22 years. I don't own one, but many friends do, and they are "Bang and flop" rifles/cartridges in the hands of those guys.

Glad it is working well for you Buzz. Now, when I read something about a 7MM, it makes me think of that knucklehead from last winter. Sorry to digress.

WH, just never did like them...no particular reason.

Nope, didnt miss it...I never said.

For practice bullets I've always shot the standard speer hot core 160's...just damn near identical to the nosler partition in shape. Never knew them to shoot differently...and about half the price of partitions.

I send a few 160 grain partitions down range each year just to make sure...but its never been necessary, print exactly the same.

Shot today at 300 yards with the practice stuff, 2.4 inch 3-shot group...dead nuts on. I've shot 1.5 inch 3-shot groups with that rifle at 300 yards several times. So, today wasnt that great at 300.

Just kind of ironic that I'm shooting a caliber I never much cared for, and that its now my go-to rifle...hard not to like that kind of accuracy out of standard hunting rifle. Be even more of a shame to not use it for hunting.

That's the caliber of my only long range hunting rifle. Mines in a Ruger MKII and is ridiculously accurate for a factory set up. Pretty sure my whitetail this year was the twelfth animal its killed since my dad bought it for me six years ago.
There's something about a 160 grain accubond starting out right at 3000 fps that just seems right.

The 7 maggie can be a bit finicky but I've grown to love the cartridge. It pushes the same BC bullet as a 30 cal without all the recoil (180 30 cal, 160 7mm). I love the 300 WM but after shoulder surgery, am a bit afraid of the recoil on my shoulder. My current M70, 26" 7 mag isn't all that bad - much better than my 300.

My current load pushes 160 Partitions at 3050 and plain shoots flat. I really dig the big 7's.

Love mine Ruger M77 MkII All Weather Shoots factory loads just like in picture above.

'Cmon, you know you still love the 338 Winnie!!! ;) The 7mm Rem Mag is in the short list of chamberings I'm considering as a running mate for my 338. Now go read 'One Man's Wilderness' by Warren Page and really fall in love with the big 7's.

Pointer,

I like the 338 so well, I'm spending $600 to have it dressed up...so will be forced to use the 7mm for all my hunting this season.

The 338 will be sweet when I get it back, target crown (maybe), re-blued, custom stock, glass bedded, and a few other fancy things. Can hardly wait.

The 338 will be sweet when I get it back, target crown (maybe), re-blued, custom stock, glass bedded, and a few other fancy things. Can hardly wait.
You aren't getting one of those plastic stocks are you?;)

Ridge Runner,

I shoot the 250's...never been a fan of light bullets, even in partitions.

Miller, no on the plastic...

You aren't getting one of those plastic stocks are you?;)

I was wondering the same thing. I didn't think he would as I hadn't felt the earth stop spinning... ;)

Buzz- Please keep us updated on the 338 progress! Sounds like a good project. 'Course I'm thinking your 6mm Rem could've possibly justified the attention as well. ;)

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back