Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Has Cabelas gone down hill?

I miss the days back in the 80's before we had a computer and I would call and speak to some very friendly and helpful customer service reps.
They could always answer my questions and everything I bought was very good quality. Sadly those days are never coming back. :(
Those days will return if they get off the BPS model of buying Chinese made crap. Bass pro argues that is why they were bought out, but....It will not change unless we speak out loud to management, and return all broken crap...

That being said their cooler out preforms the yeti.

I went to ours in Reno for the first time in months and had another poor customer service experience. And all I wanted was a copy of the Upland Game regulations book. It’s sad.

Scheels is opening up another store . Missoula Mt . Not a big fan of driving into Missoula but I'll do it for Scheels .
Went into Scheels for the first time…
6682CA4C-C7CA-4D6E-9CA5-74FBA80BAB00.jpeg

Like they had some cool stuff but also… it’s like mostly a potterybarn/target/park meadows mall that also has a small firearms section… also with no ammo or powder, or brass, or ….or… but they had extra tikka mag and mountain house so that was nice. Sold gun cases but only TSA locks 🤦‍♂️ So points off there.

Still not a great selection of “the good stuff”

2/5 starts…

That looks like a messy storage closet with the Christmas decor. Maybe Scheels is renting space to HomeGoods this season. In lieu of ammo we can send you home with a toasted almond scented candle and some $200 hand painted twigs.

@wllm1313 that is interesting.
I went to the one in Billings and outside of the Ferris Wheel in it I was very surprised!
I guess maybe comparing to the Alaska Cabelas, Bass Pro and Sportsman’s but they had 10 different Matthew’s Bows, a good firearm selection and quite a bit of gear!
I’m sure ammo and such is a struggle for them as well as everyone else. Sorry your first trip wasn’t fantastic! I want them to open a store in Alaska!

@wllm1313 that is interesting.
I went to the one in Billings and outside of the Ferris Wheel in it I was very surprised!
I guess maybe comparing to the Alaska Cabelas, Bass Pro and Sportsman’s but they had 10 different Matthew’s Bows, a good firearm selection and quite a bit of gear!
I’m sure ammo and such is a struggle for them as well as everyone else. Sorry your first trip wasn’t fantastic! I want them to open a store in Alaska!

Barney’s is waaaaay more my style that’s all I’m saying.

Scheels in Missoula has a good selection of ammo and small rifle primers and some powder this weekend. Passed on a 8# bottle of r23 holding out for r26, may have been a mistake.

I used to shop regularly at Cabelas. Now that Bass pro has them I don't. Same thing is probably going to happen to sportsman's warehouse as I hear Bass pro has bought them. Bunch of that know nothing about hunting and fishing calling the shots there. Wish we had a Scheels close by.
I had the pleasure of working for Sportsman's Warehouse, they by far are still in operation and still carry quality hunting clothing as well as other quality goods in their other departments. The last word I got was the Bass Pro buy out was not going to happen.
Thank goodness. I too was very disappointed when Cabela's fell into the Bass Pro tank. I had been a Cabela's customer since the 60's.

Ok place to stretch your legs on a long road trip

I don’t recall the last thing I have purchased there other than a big bag of licorice

I was in our local Sportsmans the other day, there was a sign in the entrance that said that the sale had fallen through and that they were going to remain their own company. I usually go to the local stores but I will get stuff where I can get them.

Is it just me or has Cabelas really gone hill in recent in years of quality name brands and competitive pricing?
I think so. Ever since they became Bass Pro under the Cabela's name they are no longer the same. It's like shopping in Bass Pro with a Cabela's logo in the background. I always thought the Cabela's brand was better quality than Bass Pro.

Is it just me or has Cabelas really gone hill in recent in years of quality name brands and competitive pricing?
I've shifted my local shopping for anything related to hunting, fishing, archery, camping, etc. to our smaller, locally owned businesses. I try to buy ammo, etc. locally too. The big box store options don't interest me like they once did. Anything I can't find with a smaller, local shop, I end up purchasing online. Lately that mean ammo. I bought a scope through a contact on this site (thanks to the members for the tip and contact: @schmalts). I consider that to be a sort of hybrid purchase of smaller, local supplier and internet purchase. I'm sure I wouldn't have been as well served if I'd bought it through a big box retailer.

Like they had some cool stuff but also… it’s like mostly a potterybarn/target/park meadows mall that also has a small firearms section… also with no ammo or powder, or brass, or ….or… but they had extra tikka mag and mountain house so that was nice. Sold gun cases but only TSA locks 🤦‍♂️ So points off there.

Still not a great selection of “the good stuff”
Damnit @wllm1313 ! Can't we have just one thing that you dang Coasties dont turn into Martha Stuart's next money laundering scheme!?!? Sarcasm aside, they are like a mini mall in themselves, the one in Billings has a freaking ferris wheel inside.

Just when I hadn't bought anything from Cabelas in a long while. '-)

I made an online-ship-to-local-store rifle ammo purchase today. One advantage to consider with Bass Pro Shops/Cabelas is the ship-to-store option. To ship the ammo to my home I would have had to buy a minimum of $50 purchase, meaning two or more boxes (or paid for a shipping charge).

I found a specific SKU that I hadn't seen, local or online, in eight months of watching and wanted it to try for a new rifle. I didn't want to buy more than a box before I learned if it would be the "winner" for my rifle. So, I bought one box and had it shipped to the store (free shipping, even on one box). That is the best option that I've found to get a single box of ammo that was hard to find.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back