MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Harvested deer in public campgrounds.

brnsvllyjohn

This is something I just posted on a California forum.

C zone opened this past weekend and I hunted an area I have hunted in the past and camped in the same spot I usually camp in when in that area. I was told by other campers who were also hunters that the camp host was not allowing any part of a harvested deer to be brought into camp. I have never had an issue before in a public campground on National Forest land. It was not an issue for me since I didn't see a buck but one guy in camp was successful and before returning to his campsite he took his deer to a butcher that was 2 hours away. He then returned to his campsite. I had a discussion with a camp host and explained that just like in years past I would bring my animal to the campsite skinned and in my ice chest. No one would ever know and if I was done hunting I would then go home.
Their reasoning is it is a "Family Campground" (so some might be offended by a dead deer) and the smell attracts bears. Now people fish in that area a lot so fish are cleaned and cooked. Some campers cook meat on the grills outside almost every day. I fail to see the difference in how one meat would attract bears more than another. I explained to him that the last 2 bucks we took while camping in that exact location were both placed in an ice chest then in the bear box for the time we remained in the campground. Most campers had no idea we had deer with us. He didn't have much to say. Now I have always had a great relationship with these camp hosts so I was surprised at the new attitude. One of them hunts occasionally so he should understand. I personally think it is a new politically correct point of view and the real reason is they are afraid someone is going to be offended. Years ago while hunting in Idaho a group of campers spent one night in a large campground before they realized every one in there was hunting and there were deer hanging in a few camps. They left after one night and I think it was because they weren't happy about the deer hunters. I think the anti hunters are talking loader than we are and we might be in bigger trouble than we realize.
I did call the management company to ask about the policy of no deer in the campgrounds that they manage but there was no answer and the mail box is full. I will try again.

I always break my game down right where it falls. Quartered and in ice chest they would never know and I wouldn't tell them.

The ferry from Ketchikan to POW has a similar rule. No whole deer dragged onto the deck.

When I explained that most of the time our deer are packed out either boneless or in quarters, that didn't make a difference. I still was not going to be allowed to bring ANY deer parts into the camp. Obviously I was not going to tell them if I had taken a deer. This is a campground in the national forest. The camp hosts are just under contract to a management company that has a contract with Plumas National Forest.

When I explained that most of the time our deer are packed out either boneless or in quarters, that didn't make a difference. I still was not going to be allowed to bring ANY deer parts into the camp. Obviously I was not going to tell them if I had taken a deer. This is a campground in the national forest. The camp hosts are just under contract to a management company that has a contract with Plumas National Forest.

My first phone call would be to the local Ranger District Office to see if there was a forest order to support this decision by the camp host. I can potentially see this happening, but it should apply to all attractants/carcasses. In addition, if game animal parts are stored in a bear resistant manner, I would think the camp host has no say in it.

I would call FS Station for area.
Bet its the vendor that runs the campground for profit,that costs more than the old way........but hey,they made a buck and that is most important.....that & PC.
I have never brought a whole deer back to a campground in Sierras.......to my truck a few times tho.

Is this a rule or a personal preference?
If it’s a rule it is written down. It should easily be presented to you and you must abide by it.

If it is just a preference of the camp host, he can go.... well you know.

Some would say that it’s the hunters fault and they are their own worst enemy.

I’m sure hides, heads, and bones have been left behind. Still, absent a forest order I’m not sure this is an enforceable demand.

Back