Section of BLM camping restricted?

np307

Buddy and I rolled in to WY yesterday for our mule deer tag. Never been to this area before, saw a section of BLM on the map that looked like it would work for camp. Rolled in after dark and set up camp on a little corner that crossed a paved road. Set up off the road but still on BLM, no signs or anything at the entrance to the section of land.

This morning a landowner came by pretty angry that we were camping there. I clarified that it was BLM and that there were no signs and he said it didn't matter, he had a special permission from BLM to keep camping off of it. He calmed down when I said we would move across the road but I just wanted to post up here and get some advice from the group. Guy owns a ranch and guides apparently. I'm guessing he was full of it but we just have a week and could move camp quickly enough so we decided to just appease him. If area specific info is necessary to judge whether this guy is telling the truth or not, pm me and I can explain further. He did try to call a BLM security officer to let us talk to her but she didn't answer.

I feel if it was actually a thing it would have a sign from blm on it probably have his clients camped there in a day or two

About 10ish years ago I was camped on USFS land in a spot I'd camped dozens of times in years previously. A man stopped by our camp to chat. He said the spot was permitted for the season to the outfitter that had the permit for the area. And, if the outfitter came up, I'd have to leave. I proceeded to call BS and said the only one that would make me leave was the LEO. After the hunt, I called the local USFS office and asked. Sure enough the outfitter had it permitted but was choosing not to use the site. And, was told if the outfitter wanted to use it, I would have to move. I questioned why there was no signage to inform the public and that I'd be furious if that were to happen while I was camped there.

Still wouldn't believe it from anybody’s word unless you had LEO or official providing a map depicting metes and bounds and language denoting exclusive use and right to exclude the public as well as what the statute is that you would be violating for camping there and the penalties associated with it. A lot of things get SAID… many fewer are documented. And it would still take a federal officer to ENFORCE it.

Public land gives me the right to assume I can use it same as elsewhere until proven not.

If ALL that happened… move 50’ from wherever they set up camp and follow them to some animals the next morning. They can’t stop you from walking around the forest.

Thanks for affirming that he's probably full of BS. I did call BLM and left a message with a lot of detail so we will see. Part of me really wanted to tell him to shove it but we get to come West once every other year, we've only got 5 days to hunt, and it really wasn't worth it to get some stuff messed with or harassed.

Thanks for affirming that he's probably full of BS. I did call BLM and left a message with a lot of detail so we will see. Part of me really wanted to tell him to shove it but we get to come West once every other year, we've only got 5 days to hunt, and it really wasn't worth it to get some stuff messed with or harassed.
You did the right thing. If it’s not a hunt jeopardizing thing it’s best to step back and get the facts. It’s possible the landowner is correct, unlikely imo, but possible

Here, let me call the BLM real quick for you.............................

Guess what? To my knowledge, BLM has never answered the phone on a weekend or even during working hours in the last 50 years.
We will take down your info and call you back. I made it that far never got the call back though.

Oh he is 100% full of chit.

I would have dialed the phone to the sheriff myself in front of him and put it on speaker phone.
Calling the sheriff to interpret what was alleged to be a unique federal leasing arrangment (as conveyed by the adjacent owner) might not prove useful. Sheriff may be inclined to side with local, even if just a a pragmatic gesture to de-escalate things, but doubtful they would actually be able to confirm the specifics. Certainly if the sheriff told you to move along, you probably should unless you wanted to really make it a bigger headache, but hopefully only after getting sheriff to acknowledge that you do not admit any fault, and believe the landowner to be in error and that you do intend to follow up with BLM. And remember to take down all the names!

Calling the sheriff to interpret what was alleged to be a unique federal leasing arrangment (as conveyed by the adjacent owner) might not prove useful. Sheriff may be inclined to side with local, even if just a a pragmatic gesture to de-escalate things, but doubtful they would actually be able to confirm the specifics. Certainly if the sheriff told you to move along, you probably should unless you wanted to really make it a bigger headache, but hopefully only after getting sheriff to acknowledge that you do not admit any fault, and believe the landowner to be in error and that you do intend to follow up with BLM. And remember to take down all the names!
This is unfortunately accurate. A Sheriff once told us to leave an area of Gila National Forest after an outfitter called him. The sheriff said he didn’t want us screwing up the hunt the client had paid $19,000 for on a bull the outfitter had pre scouted. “I’m sure you boys can find some more elk somewhere else” he said.

The OP is being bluffed, but don’t call the locally elected sheriff, call the game warden.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back