Caribou Gear

Hart Mountain Antelope Refuge Oregon

gcan

I am considering the Hart Mountain antelope archery hunt in Oregon for 2015. I am a resident with 15 Points and that should be just enough to draw the Hart Mt. archery antelope tag this year. Has anyone been fortunate enough to bow hunt this area for pronghorn? If so, do you have any advise for a first time antelope hunter.

been thru there several times but never had enough points to draw,,,the area south of the main headquarters lokks pretty good,,pick out a good waterhole and set your blind,they can be very leery,,there is no shortage of critters,,,pick out a nice one,,congrats if you pull the tag.

I have a buddy who used to archery deer hunt that back when it was an OTC tag. You should here the 30+" deer stories.

The quality has been down the last few years, its an absolutely amazing place to visit and hunt but the predators have taken their toll on the large bucks.

I'd recommend doing a lot of scouting and be ready at midnight 5 days prior to the season to set up your blind. Others will be, I believe the rules are 5 days prior to the season you can put up your blinds. If you are late, you will not have a shot at a good waterhole.

If you are willing to hike into a hell hole, go up goat creek and hunt up there. Not much pressure, there are some monster bulls hiding in there, and some great bucks.

I'd also look at juniper rifle and beattys butte rifle as options with that amount of points. Treat it like you waited 15 years, scout your butt off, and you will kill a booner out of either of those 2 units.

Thank you all for the input. WRO, I was thinking about cashing in on a good rifle unit for pronghorn but I would really like to take a buck with my bow. I have several PP for WY antelope so I think I will use those for a rifle antelope hunt in the next couple years. I appreciate the advice on the blind set up ahead of the season opener. I will definitely be checking into the rules on that so I can stake a claim on some water. I bow hunted this unit for deer about 25 years ago and I too had some encounters with a couple monster mule deer way back when. It is beautiful country.

I don't know much about Hart but have hunted the Warner hunt and scouted the heck out of it. If you want to apply for it as a party I will share everything I know! :) Shameless and desperate but sincere offer! I hunted water holes from a ground blind which was a whole new deal for me. I loved it!

From what I have gathered the only real advantage Hart Mt has is numbers. Buck quality is about par with surrounding units. You should have no problem killing a buck.

Good luck!

Thank you all for the input. WRO, I was thinking about cashing in on a good rifle unit for pronghorn but I would really like to take a buck with my bow. I have several PP for WY antelope so I think I will use those for a rifle antelope hunt in the next couple years. I appreciate the advice on the blind set up ahead of the season opener. I will definitely be checking into the rules on that so I can stake a claim on some water. I bow hunted this unit for deer about 25 years ago and I too had some encounters with a couple monster mule deer way back when. It is beautiful country.

There are a several good options for killing one with your bow that are easy draws, Maury, Owhee, and Malheur all have huntable populations of goats with easy to draw bow tags.

Warner is an awesome hunt and the quality has been through the roof the last few years. Point creep is killing it now. A friend of mine killed a 90" in there a couple years ago with a rifle. (didn't put it in the book)

There are a several good options for killing one with your bow that are easy draws, Maury, Owhee, and Malheur all have huntable populations of goats with easy to draw bow tags.

Warner is an awesome hunt and the quality has been through the roof the last few years. Point creep is killing it now. A friend of mine killed a 90" in there a couple years ago with a rifle. (didn't put it in the book)

Your killin' me! I am not 100% set on this bow hunt and now you got me re-considering my options.

It looks like the first Warner Unit speed goat hunt takes about the same amount of PP as the Hart Mt. archery tag. I perfect opportunity to dust of the 7MM. I am going to have to give this a little more thought.

I don't know much about Hart but have hunted the Warner hunt and scouted the heck out of it. If you want to apply for it as a party I will share everything I know! :) Shameless and desperate but sincere offer! I hunted water holes from a ground blind which was a whole new deal for me. I loved it!

From what I have gathered the only real advantage Hart Mt has is numbers. Buck quality is about par with surrounding units. You should have no problem killing a buck.

Good luck!

Joe you are thinking Warner Bow?

Joe you are thinking Warner Bow?
Yes, that's the unit I bowhunted for antelope in 2010 and have been applying there since. Like WRO mentioned, its been hit hard by point creep. In 2010 it took 4 now it takes 8 hence my desperate offer. ;)

The bow hunt is certainly tougher than the rifle hunt but it's also much more rewarding. Most rifle hunts end in matter of hours unless tag holder has good discipline.

Have you killed a pronghorn before? If you haven't and you really want a nice representative to mount I would say rifle hunt. If you want to really feel like you did something kill one with a bow.

It looks like the first Warner Unit speed goat hunt takes about the same amount of PP as the Hart Mt. archery tag. I perfect opportunity to dust of the 7MM. I am going to have to give this a little more thought.

If you do this option, contact me. I have spent 60+ days on the ground in the unit in the last 7 years. (I spent 20+ there last year on my wifes sheep hunt) If you hunt hard, you'll kill a booner. My buddy killed an 83 1/2 last year and I know of another in that range as well as many others in the 80" range.

If you do this option, contact me. I have spent 60+ days on the ground in the unit in the last 7 years. (I spent 20+ there last year on my wifes sheep hunt) If you hunt hard, you'll kill a booner. My buddy killed an 83 1/2 last year and I know of another in that range as well as many others in the 80" range.

WRO, I guess I got until 15May15 to decide so I am definetly going to do my homework. I may go with the Warner #1 rifle tag and if so I think you are going to be my new best friend. :D

Yes, that's the unit I bowhunted for antelope in 2010 and have been applying there since. Like WRO mentioned, its been hit hard by point creep. In 2010 it took 4 now it takes 8 hence my desperate offer. ;)

The bow hunt is certainly tougher than the rifle hunt but it's also much more rewarding. Most rifle hunts end in matter of hours unless tag holder has good discipline.

Have you killed a pronghorn before? If you haven't and you really want a nice representative to mount I would say rifle hunt. If you want to really feel like you did something kill one with a bow.

I have never hunted antelope before in my life... I was born and raised in Oregon. I appreciate the offer to party hunt Joe. I do like the idea of having a hunting partner to share in the fun and adventures. I am now kind of leaning towards the rifle hunt but still it is not etched in stone. Thanks for your input it does give me a lot to consider.

I have never hunted antelope before in my life... I was born and raised in Oregon. I appreciate the offer to party hunt Joe. I do like the idea of having a hunting partner to share in the fun and adventures. I am now kind of leaning towards the rifle hunt but still it is not etched in stone. Thanks for your input it does give me a lot to consider.

If you decide to rifle hunt any of the units mentioned be sure and send me a PM. I have been on hunts in all the units mentioned and would be glad to help.

I think it's wise to look to other hunts besides Hart. Overrated has been the constant theme I hear from people who have hunted it.

Thanks again Joe. I appreciate any help I can get when it comes to antelope since I have never had the opportunity to chase them. I am seriously considering the rifle thing for my first time out.

Thanks again Joe. I appreciate any help I can get when it comes to antelope since I have never had the opportunity to chase them. I am seriously considering the rifle thing for my first time out.

I love to archery hunt, but if I had the points you have.. I'd be rifle hunting. Killing a P&Y goat in Oregon is doable in almost any unit with a bow.

Heck a friend of mine killed an 86 5/8 out of Maury with his bow.

I love to archery hunt, but if I had the points you have.. I'd be rifle hunting. Killing a P&Y goat in Oregon is doable in almost any unit with a bow.

Heck a friend of mine killed an 86 5/8 out of Maury with his bow.

WRO,
I have dusted off the mighty 7MM and have decided that I will be applying for Warner #1 rifle. I will let you know how the draw turns out come mid June. 15 PP's should get me there unless we experience some crazy point creep. I am getting all excited just thinking about my first antelope hunt. Talk to you soon, Gary.

I think I'll use my points on Hart Mt rifle hunt in the next couple years. I don't care about BC but like the idea of seeing a lot of mature bucks, fewer hunters and a later opening.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back