Hard to Get NW CO Tag - What to Look for in a Pronghorn?

All the above information is good. Keep in mind that the fact the tag is hard to draw does not equate to trophy quality. In CO it typically equates more to there being public hunting access. Since 2010 CO has averaged about 5 B&C entries each year above 82". There have been 6 from Moffat County in that time, and 4 were killed in 2014 or 2016. Point being, you're unlikely to kill a B&C buck, so listen to your guide and shoot one that you like the looks of. Pronghorn hunting is fun, and it's easy to get hung up on scores and make it less fun.

All the above information is good. Keep in mind that the fact the tag is hard to draw does not equate to trophy quality. In CO it typically equates more to there being public hunting access. Since 2010 CO has averaged about 5 B&C entries each year above 82". There have been 6 from Moffat County in that time, and 4 were killed in 2014 or 2016. Point being, you're unlikely to kill a B&C buck, so listen to your guide and shoot one that you like the looks of. Pronghorn hunting is fun, and it's easy to get hung up on scores and make it less fun.
Great points, thank you! Only 1 day of the 7 days of hunting is geared towards pronghorns and I'm told they're very abundant. It'll be my first pronghorn and I'm not going for a B&C, but wouldn't complain if it ends up being one if you know what I mean! ;)

Mass. That's it. If you look at a bunch of different bucks and you like one the best, that's the best one. If you want the biggest one, shoot the one that looks the heaviest.

Greenhorn is right, mass makes up most of a good scoring buck. A heavy horned buck may look short but the mass measurements will add up.
Part of not shooting a running pronghorn are pretty true. They will build up some lactic acid in the muscles after a run so try to take a relaxed animal.
Never had an issue with the glands as we just avoid handling that area. The black cheek patch will be the most smelly part.

I am going through an outfitter in NW CO and am getting a landowner tag normally taking 15+ years to get out of the deal. I've watched all the Randy videos on pronghorn, but what should I be looking for to make sure I'm taking an animal worthy of the tag? I'm not nearly as educated on antelope as I am about elk and I only started hunting out west a couple years ago.

This may seem obvious but make sure both prongs are present. More than one guy has shot a nice buck only to find that one of the cutters was broken off.

This may seem obvious but make sure both prongs are present. More than one guy has shot a nice buck only to find that one of the cutters was broken off.
I saw one last year in NW Colorado that was a beauty until he showed his right side- his prong was completely broke off

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back