Hard Questions for Mr. Newberg About Fouled Moose Kill, Season 8, Episode 1

I'll say this,, Killing ant a pretty thing at times, and it's going to get messy on occasion.

Was this one one of those times? I promise to watch and answer that if need be.

If you're in chair expect a little shock now and again.

I dont think that 470 yards is unethical if you are practiced and effective at that distance. Was Randys shot unethical? I dont really know. Right now I am comfortable out to 500 and I would take a shot at that distance given I had a good rest and could steady.
Having said that I also believe if Randy is putting himself in the public eye like he has he needs to be prepared for hard questions. That is just part of being in leadership. If a person starts a forum they should understand that not everone will share the same opinions as them. Yes the forum owner has the right to ban anyone that disagrees with them I suppose but that is cowardice to do so. That seems to be part of the cancel culture mentality, just discredit and do away with those that can think for themselves or have a different view. I have noticed on this forum that Randy can make a basic post and get many likes simply because Randy is the cool kid in class and this is his forum. Whereas if someone else made the same post it would not get near as many likes because it wasn't Randys post. I appreciate everything Randy does for hunting and conservation but he placed himself in the position he is in and with that people will disagree with him and at times challenge him with questions. Randy needs to be willing to face the questions in a respectful manner without bullying his way through by banning those he doesnt agree with and without his supporters coming to his rescue for brownie points. I am not accusing Randy of any of the above mentioned possibilities I trust that Randy will handle this in a respectful fashion.
Maybe do a bit of reading from the OP it’s been pretty well recognized he Has been trying to get banned so he can put it on his website And throw a little pity party poor me BS like he Did on another forum. And Randy hasn’t banned him. He’s a troll looking for attention

Mr. Newberg -

We were disappointed with your 470+ yard, unethical shot at a Bull Moose in BC in Season 8, Episode 1 of Fresh Tracks - and have some hard questions for you:

When you shot the moose at the end of this episode, you admit that the shooting conditions were "bad" and that they bull was "way, way out there" at 470+ yards. Yet you took, by our count, 5 shots, including one that hit the animal's antlers. Clearly, this moose was outside of your ethical shooting range and this "messy" kill was hard to watch.

So why did you take the shot?

Based on your comments after the kill, it's clear that you had some remorse.

In hindsight, do you regret taking the shot and if you had to do it again, would you shoot?

Did the pressure to create content for your TV show cause you to take an unethical shot?

Anti-hunters can now take your actions from this episode and use it against hunting. Anti-hunters can easily make the argument that if a celebrity, experienced, professional hunter like Randy Newberg will readily take an unethical shot, what does that say about the average Joe hunter with less experience?

Given what happened, why did you not cut this this unethical shot and messy kill from episode 1 footage?

Certainly your team could have edited the video to leave the moose kill out and not hand anti-hunting footage to the anti-hunting movement.

Respectfully,
- Rob Shaul

You obviously haven't hunted much if you haven't figured out that every shot is not a perfect shot like all the videos you watch on tv. I'm willing to bet that you think everyone should get a participation trophy also. DUMBASS

Mr. Newberg -

We were disappointed with your 470+ yard, unethical shot at a Bull Moose in BC in Season 8, Episode 1 of Fresh Tracks - and have some hard questions for you:

When you shot the moose at the end of this episode, you admit that the shooting conditions were "bad" and that they bull was "way, way out there" at 470+ yards. Yet you took, by our count, 5 shots, including one that hit the animal's antlers. Clearly, this moose was outside of your ethical shooting range and this "messy" kill was hard to watch.

So why did you take the shot?

Based on your comments after the kill, it's clear that you had some remorse.

In hindsight, do you regret taking the shot and if you had to do it again, would you shoot?

Did the pressure to create content for your TV show cause you to take an unethical shot?

Anti-hunters can now take your actions from this episode and use it against hunting. Anti-hunters can easily make the argument that if a celebrity, experienced, professional hunter like Randy Newberg will readily take an unethical shot, what does that say about the average Joe hunter with less experience?

Given what happened, why did you not cut this this unethical shot and messy kill from episode 1 footage?

Certainly your team could have edited the video to leave the moose kill out and not hand anti-hunting footage to the anti-hunting movement.
Mr. Shaul -

As usual, you are full of accusations about me and my activities, when you don't know shit from apple butter as it relates to the facts surrounding the accusations you make.

Not sure where you get that I shot at 470 yards. I passed at 470, but since that doesn't fit your narrative, you post what you have to instantly change the dynamic of the discussion to be one where I have defend factually incorrect statements you make.

You fail to mention that I passed again at 430. But, I am sure that doesn't work for you. Showing that I passed on the first two options doesn't fit your storyline that I'm out here shooting on a whim to stroke the TV ego.

We did get our chance a bit later. James had ranged him at 350 and then the bull come forward toward us another 20-30 yards.

If you wanted to know the full details, you could have read them here - https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/a-dream-becomes-reality.292836/

Posts #63 and #64 get you to this part of the story. You will see when I pulled the trigger the bull was under 350. You will also see how many breathing sequences I went through before I felt comfortable shooting. Had the bull moved off before my breathing and heart rate had settled, I would have not lost an ounce of sleep over it.

As @Dsnow9 stated above, the bull made an appearance to our west at 470. I passed. Later, he reappeared much closer, but to our north. Go read the story. It will tell you how it unfolded. That story was written well before the editors put together the episode.

Or, since you are so interested in our videos, go watch this segment from 5:00 to about 9:00. I suspect this is where you got your original ideas, but since showing me passing two longer shots in favor of a closer shot is not helpful, you post what you did and hope the world takes your version of events as the fact. Your statements, as I've shown in the video and as I wrote in the forum thread, are completely incorrect.

But, you don't give a damn. You do your bullshit backstabbing, then run and hide for a while.

Why did I take the shot?

Same reason I take any other shot. I have a 99% confidence level that the animal is going to die when I pull the trigger.

I always have remorse, even with a perfect "Drop right there kill." When the animal doesn't die instantly and it takes follow up shot(s), I feel even worse. I guess I'm just not the Johnny Bad Ass stone cold killer that you are.

No regrets. If I had it to do again I would surely take the shot. The first shot was lethal. I would also take the 300 yard follow up shots at a lethally wounded animal, even if he was buried in the alders. And if I knew people would criticize me for taking those shots I would still take those follow up shots as I want an animal to expire as quickly as possible.

I could have just sat on my ass and lit up a smoke like the critics do, or I could have done all I could to end the situation as quickly as possible. I made the choice I did, with zero regrets. A big bull moose can go a long ways with one lung out. He was going to die. I could have let him lay there and expire, but both me and the guide wanted to finish it.

If you disagree, fine. Knock yourself out. I choose to end it quicker, even if it is a lethal hit.

First, it is your accusation that it was an unethical shot. The animal was as good as dead and we had him in our view as he laid down to expire. If that's unethical, then I know most everyone on this forum falls into your unethical category.

As to some implication that TV causes me to shoot or push things beyond my comfort range, you again are clueless. I've passed a ton of animals on TV that got away. I don't hold myself out to be the expert you hold yourself to be on this forum, so I don't really feel pressure to live up to any standard or expectations other than my own. I shoot when it feels right. If it doesn't feel right, I don't shoot. Pretty simple.

I passed the largest mule deer of my life, well into the record book, because it was not a shot I was comfortable with. No regrets. I passed an archery pronghorn shot on a buck that was killed by a rifle hunter the next morning. It officially netted 90". 90 yards is beyond my talent, no matter how big. So, someone else got the buck. I'm happy for them.

In Wyoming, two bulls are in range. One small five-point is standing broadside. A bigger six-point is bedded next to him. I knew the size of each. I shot the five-point, as he was giving a complete broadside shot.

I could go on and on, but none of that fits your narrative, so you couldn't give a damn. You want to make your accusations, drop the grenade in the room, then walk away with a smile on your face. Easy to do and you excel at it.

Because it wasn't an unethical shot. It was a lethal shot. The finishing shots can be what happens in hunting. And it shows how much stamina a moose can have, even if they do go and lay down when lethally hit.

There have been some situations over the years where hits or followups didn't serve any purpose to the story or the cause of hunting. In those instances I have had the editors leave them out, using my personal judgement of what is relevant to the story and what might be a negative to hunting. I'm very comfortable with my ability to use discretion as to what benefits the story and what is not useful for the image of hunting. Disagree with it all you want.

I'm sure none of my answers satisfy you and your pedestal that makes you the arbiter of what is ethical in the world of hunting. But as my Grandma used to say, "You've mistaken me for someone who gives a shit about your hurt feelings."

Respectfully,
- Rob Shaul

Yeah, right.

Mr. Respectful, remember this 2019 accusation, when you were going to make an expose of what Randy Newberg was up to?

Date: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 at 2:20 PM
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Randy Newberg Suspicious Wyoming Elk Tag Draws, 2013-2017 - Did You Purchase Points to Apply as a Party?

Mr. Newberg -

I'm the Board President of Mountain Pursuit, a western-states hunting non-profit, and I'm writing concerning suspicious elk tag draws by yourself for elk hunting in Wyoming in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2017.

We recently completed a report, "Nonresidents Are Selling Preference Points Under Wyoming's Liberal Party Hunt Draw Regulations," which tracked suspicious Wyoming Region G Deer Tag draws by monstermuleys.com owner, Brian Latturner.

After publishing that report we received information that you had also engaged in similar behavior to draw several limited quota elk tags in Wyoming. Subsequently we sent a public information request to the Wyoming Game & Fish Department asking for your license draw success since 2008.

We found you drew an individual tag for coveted area 19-2 in 2011, but then also drew an elk tag as part of a party in 2013 (19-2), 2014 (39-1), 2015 (19-2) and 2017 (98-1).

Knowing you had just 1 or 0, personal preference points going into each of the draws 2013 moving forward, and the difficult draw odds of these hunt areas, esp. 19-2, we suspect you may have purchased and/or traded guiding or another service in exchange to apply as part of a party with another nonresident hunter who had built up several preference points.

We wanted to reach out you directly concerning these draws and ask the following questions:

- Did you trade money, guiding services, or any other form of compensation with the other hunter in your party with which you applied during each these years?

- If not, who was the other hunter in your party applied with for each of these successful draws and how did you contact him or her to apply as a party?

- Did you actually hunt in the field with the other hunter in your party application for each of these successful draws?

We hope to hear from you by next Friday, March 22, 2019.

Respectfully,

- Rob Shaul

--

Rob Shaul

Founder/President

And my reply to Mr. Respectful.

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 2:37 PM Randy Newberg <XXXXXXX@randynewberg.com> wrote:
Robb:

I just re-read this. Pretty accusatory for someone who doesn’t know much about me, who I hunt with, and my background. It would be good to visit about this before you get too far down the road of making some foolish accusations beyond what you’ve stated here.

And yes, I’ve followed your work about what has been going on with the owner of the Monster Muley’s forum. And I’ve read the Jackson Hole newspaper article of your organization and its formation.

Care to share your contact information? I’d like to visit about this.

Best,

Randy

Date: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 at 2:26 PM
To: Rob Shaul <xxx@mtnpursuit.org>
Subject: Re: Randy Newberg Suspicious Wyoming Elk Tag Draws, 2013-2017 - Did You Purchase Points to Apply as a Party?

Rob:

This is some funny stuff. “….concerning suspicious elk tag draws by yourself for elk hunting….”

Give me a call if you want to talk. My number is below.

Randy

Mr. Respectful requiring one of his Board members be on a call if we are to talk.....

Date: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 4:16 AM
To: Randy Newberg <XXXXXX@randynewberg.com>
Cc: James Howell <XXXXXXXXX@tcsd.org>
Subject: Re: Randy Newberg Suspicious Wyoming Elk Tag Draws, 2013-2017 - Did You Purchase Points to Apply as a Party?

Mr. Newberg -

We're happy to hop on the phone with you, but prior, know that we'll ask the same questions that are in our initial note. As well, I'd want our Board VP, James Howell, on the line - which will take some coordination as we both have full time jobs.

Someone familiar with your career suggested your Wyo elk tag draw success was suspicious and asked us to look into it. The info we received from the G&F shows multiple party draws for very difficult to draw areas, and given the Latturner example, caused us to send you these direct questions.

We wanted to give you some time to think back on these hunts and hopefully have answers for the direct questions in the note before we proceeded.

My cell is (307) xxx-xxxx. Early morning works well for both James and I - and tomorrow morning, at 0630 could be an option for a quick call.

- Rob

My reply, though I should have just let them go about their business based on some bad intel provided by a former Hunt Talker.

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 8:46 AM Randy Newberg <XXXXXX@randynewberg.com> wrote:

Rob and James:

I will be waiting by my phone at 6:30 tomorrow. Hopefully the tone of that call will be less accusatory and presumptuous than the emails you’ve sent.

As for you relying on someone “familiar with my career,” you’ve obviously got your information from someone very unfamiliar with me and my career. But, proceed as you may.

As for my career, I am a CPA. That is how I make my livelihood, not from any of the hunting platforms I have built. I do the hunting and public land advocacy as a passion, the same as I volunteer for multiple non-profit hunting/conservation/public land groups. We operate our platforms based on a WHY that has not changed since we started in 2008 – “To promote self-guided public-land hunting and create advocates for that cause.” I have not taken a dime from the media operation in my eleven years of doing so. If it could be my livelihood, that would be great, but such is not the case today and if it never becomes my livelihood, it will be time and money well invested.

A few things that you might want to know before you start down a trail I suspect was provided to you by one or more of a small handful of critics with an axe to grind. Every question you have asked could easily be answered by watching our YouTube channel, our Amazon channel, or reading the threads I post on our Hunt Talk forum, links to which are provided in my signature below. I’ll give you a bit of background here, making our time on the phone more productive.

I would suggest you go back to the historical draw odds and check out how easy some of these tags were to draw at the time we applied. One of the hunts you mentioned had 100% draw odds in the Special Draw that year, with some tags dropping to second choice applicants. One of the other hunts you mention could be drawn with 1.5 points and had very high odds in the random Special Draw.

Go check the same for the hunt you seem most concerned about; 19-2. Before it became a popular recommendation in the research services like Huntin’ Fool, Unit 19 could be drawn without many points in the Special Draw and there were not nearly as many people applying for the late Type 2 hunt as there are today. The two times I drew in a party, it was with long-time friends who I have hunted with in many states. They both had higher point totals than I did. Both of them shot elk. On one of those two hunts, I shot a bull and on the other, I did not shoot a bull.

One of the hunts you mentioned, 39-1, we did a hunt for the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation TV show. I took a long-time friend from Michigan, who happens to have a serious heart condition. My focus was for him to get an elk. He did; his first bull, his only bull, and a good chance it is his last elk. I did not fire a round on that hunt.

These guys are not internet strangers solicited for some personal benefit as is implied when you equate the activities on Monster Muley with me hunting with long-time friends. I have hunted with these people in many other states; Colorado, Nevada, Montana, Alaska, and New Mexico. They often come to Montana and hunt here. Some places they were the low point holder. I have joined them on many hunts where I didn’t have a tag, as I have with many other family and friends. We’ve been on fishing trips together. That is what my circle of hunting family and friends do.

You are missing a few of the other party draws I have done in Wyoming with family and friends. You are missing the 2008 Unit 33 elk hunt, where I did a party app with my Uncle who had recently recovered from a two-year fight with cancer. He shot a bull, I didn’t. That hunt is on our YouTube channel and the Hunt Talk forum.

You missed a WY deer party application from 2016, when a long-time friend and I hunted left-over tags for whitetails in NE Wyoming. I had a tag. He shot a buck, but I didn’t. That is on our YouTube channel and forum.

You missed some WY party applications for antelope, some of which I was the higher point holder and some of which the other person was the higher point holder. We hunt the units with difficult access and therefore we can draw every 1-3 years. All of those are on our forum and some of them were filmed for our video platforms.

My son and I both have maximum WY non-resident deer points. We are waiting to use them with a family member who is three points below us; a person who is elderly and pretty much my father figure as a child. I suspect when that hunt happens, your source of information will again make claims for you to investigate.

If you spend some time on our platforms, you will see the other Wyoming hunts I have done or been a part of. Lots of hunts where I was the sole tagholder and I was joined by a friend or hunts where I joined a friend who was the sole tagholder. For me and most my family and friends, hunting is a social and cultural endeavor. I join a lot of people when I don’t have a tag and a lot of people join me when they don’t have a tag. In situations where we can both draw a tag, we do that.

If you think I am trolling internet sites, offering strangers my 25 years of multi-state western hunting experiences in exchange for the benefit of their points, you’re going to be very disappointed. I get dozens of requests each year from strangers to help them, to share their points, to (insert here). I decline them all.

If you want to place credibility in the claims of others who think my hunting with family and friends is something questionable or outside the intended rules of party applications, you are wasting a lot of your time and my time. In your endeavor, you are placing the credibility of your new organization at risk. Not that it is my place to tell you how to operate, but I’ve spent my adult life serving on non-profit hunting and conservation Boards of Directors, giving me a bit of background on non-profit advocacy.

Not sure why you are keeping your focus limited to Wyoming in your claims of my activities. If you read our forum or watch our YouTube channel, you will find lots of party apps with family and friends I many states. You will find the most recent party application hunt to be in Arizona, where a long-time college buddy and I were able to go deer hunting, due to me having eleven points. He had two points, but it mattered not to me, as we were able to fill a long-time promise of hunting together. Neither of us fired a round, but it was worth all eleven points.

Everything I do is in a fish bowl. I suspect your organization, or the person who you are relying upon for such claims, is why a friend of twenty years was investigated recently for illegal outfitting, for nothing more than joining us (me and my son) on my son’s 2018 Wyoming elk hunt. Another claim an agency person had to follow up on, resulting in no basis for the claims made of our activities. Maybe it is you and your organization that is filing the FOIA requests for all of my BLM and USFS film permits, something I find quite humorous given I am one of the few outdoor media platforms that complies with the cumbersome rules and costs of public land film permits.

Not that it matters who is the source of your claims and accusations or the direction you are going with your efforts and your new non-profit organization. I know the rules and I follow them. I know what I do is placed under a microscope and I operate with the prudent level of awareness and understanding of that reality.

If you want to make a difference with your organization, I would suggest you work to change the peculiar rule Wyoming has of a Regular and Special non-resident pools, heavily tilting draw odds in favor of those who can afford the higher fees. It is a stupid rule, one I advocate against whenever it comes to your legislature, and makes me a target of your WYOGA. That seems to be something that would make a difference for the average hunter in Wyoming.

If you and other Wyoming hunters want to change the way Wyoming party applications work, fine by me. I suggest you do what is best for Wyoming. Myself and others will follow whatever rule that is. Your state, you make the rules. I want to hunt there and I will follow the rules, whether in Wyoming or any other state. If that results in a party application system like Colorado, fine by me. I do party apps there with my brother. If you want to make it subject to next-of-kin, fine with me. Most of my precious hunting days are with my son, now that he is out of college. If you want to get rid of party apps all together, fine by me, also. I have enough opportunities to hunt that I will continue to share camps/hunts with family and friends, whether Wyoming has a party application system, or not.

Whatever it is you want to change in Wyoming, it makes no difference to me. As a non-resident, I hunt western states at the pleasure of the residents of those states. They should do what is best for them and their collective citizenry. I’m just happy they let me hunt, knowing states have no requirement to share their state-trusteed resource with non-residents.

I will wait for your call at 6:30 am. My number is (406) xxx-xxxx.

Randy

Mr. Shaul -

As usual, you are full of accusations about me and my activities, when you don't know shit from apple butter as it relates to the facts surrounding the accusations you make.

Not sure where you get that I shot at 470 yards. I passed at 470, but since that doesn't fit you narrative, you post what you have to instantly change the dynamic of the discussion to be one where I have defend factually incorrect statements you make.

You fail to mention that I passed again at 430. But, I am sure that doesn't work for you. Showing that I passed on the first two options doesn't fit your storyline that I'm out here shooting on a whim to stroke the TV ego.

We did get our chance a bit later. James had ranged him at 350 and then the bull come forward toward us another 20-30 yards.

If you wanted to know the full details, you could have read them here - https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/a-dream-becomes-reality.292836/

Posts #63 and #64 get you to this part of the story. You will see when I pulled the trigger the bull was at 350. You will also see how many breathing sequences I went through before I felt comfortable shooting. Had the bull moved off before my breathing and heart rate had settled, I would have not lost an ounce of sleep over it.

As @Dsnow9 stated above, the bull made an appearance to our west at 470. I passed. Later, he reappeared much closer, but to our north. Go read the story. It will tell you have it unfolded. That story was written well before the editors put together the episode.

Or, since you are so interested in our videos, go watch this segment from 5:00 to about 9:00. I suspect this is where you got your original ideas, but since showing me passing two longer shots in favor of a closer shot is not helpful, you post what you did and hope the world takes your version of events as the fact. Your statements, as I've shown in the video and as I wrote in the forum thread, are completely incorrect.

But, you don't give a damn. You do you bit of bullshit backstabbing, then run and hide for a while.

Why did I take the shot?

Same reason I take any other shot. I have a 99% confidence level that the animal is going to die when I pull the trigger.

I always have remorse, even with a perfect "Drop right there kill." When the animal doesn't die instantly and it takes follow up shot(s), I feel even worse. I guess I'm just not the Johnny Bad Ass stone cold killer that you are.

No regrets. If I had it to do again I would surely take the shot. The first shot was lethal. I would also take the 300 yard follow up shots at a lethally wounded animal, even if he was buried in the alders. And if I knew people would criticize me for taking those shots I would still take those follow up shots as I want an animal to expire as quickly as possible.

I could have just sat on my ass and lit up a smoke like the critics do, or I could have done all I could to end the situation as quickly as possible. I made the choice I did, with zero regrets. A big bull moose can go a long ways with one lung out. He was going to die. I could have let him lay there and expire, but both me and the guide wanted to finish it.

If you disagree, fine. Knock yourself out. I choose to end it quicker, even if it is a lethal hit.

First, it is your accusation that it was an unethical shot. The animal was as good as dead and we had him in our view as he expired. If that's unethical, then I know most everyone on this forum falls into your unethical category.

As to some implication that TV causes me to shoot or push things beyond my comfort range, you again are clueless. I've passed a ton of animals on TV that got away. I don't hold myself out to be the expert you hold yourself to be on this forum, so I don't really feel pressure to live up to any standard or expectations other than my own. I shoot when it feels right. If it doesn't feel right, I don't shoot. Pretty simple.

I passed the largest mule deer of my life, well into the record book, because it was not a shot I was comfortable with. No regrets. I passed an archery pronghorn shot on a buck that was killed by a rifle hunter the next morning. It officially netted 90". 90 yards is beyond my talent, no matter how big. So, someone else got the buck. I'm happy for them.

In Wyoming, two bulls are in range. One small five-point is standing broadside. A bigger six-point is bedded next to him. I knew the size of each. I shot the five-point, as he was giving a complete broadside shot.

I could go on and on, but none of that fits your narrative, so you couldn't give a damn. You want to make your accusations, drop the grenade in the room, then walk away with a smile on your face. Easy to do and you excel at it.

Because it wasn't an unethical shot. It was a lethal shot. The finishing shots can be what happens in hunting. And it shows how much stamina a moose can have, even if they do go and lay down when lethally hit.

There have been some situations over the years where hits or followups didn't serve any purpose to the story or the cause of hunting. In those instances I have had the editors leave them out, using my personal judgement of what is relevant to the story and what might be a negative to hunting. I'm very comfortable with my ability to use discretion about what benefits the story and what is not useful for the image of hunting. Disagree with it all you want.

I'm sure none of my answers satisfy you and your pedestal that makes you the arbiter of what is ethical in the world of hunting. But as my Grandma used to say, "You've mistaken me for someone who gives a shit about your hurt feelings."

Respectfully,
- Rob Shaul

Yeah, right.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back