Happy Valley Caribou

jpauli

Any insight into who is a good outfitter out of Happy Valley? Heard mixed reviews over the last year. Planning a 2017 Unguided Caribou hunt. Looking for information, on who is doing a good job of outfitting.

I know of 70 North and Arrowhead Outfitters that operate out of Happy Valley. But I haven't been up there since 2012 so there might be another air taxi operating up there now. I have no first hand experience with Arrowhead so I can't comment on them. 70 North I wouldn't use again, just my choice. I flew with Coyote Air out of Coldfoot in 2014. Probably the best air taxi I've used in AK (out of 10 or so companies). Dirk mostly flies a Beaver on wheels so he may not be the best choice if you have a specific place in mind that requires a smaller aircraft.

jpauli, I used 70 North, in 2014, and although the pilot, Bob, was a good pilot, I can't recommend them. Very unorganized outfit. I was in contact with the owner, Mike, several times over an 8 month period, and 2 times within a couple of days getting to Happy Valley. None of the staff at Happy Valley knew anything about flying us out, or where to take us. They were very hospitable, though, before getting things straightened out. Do a Google search for "Brooks Range Caribou Hunt", and I'm sure you will find info on the other transporters that use Happy Valley, as there are several. I sure hope to do a hunt up there again, someday. Knute

Just to clarify you are looking for a transporter and not an actual outfitter right? Two totally different things in Alaska. Do a search on here I was flown out by 70 a few years ago had an awesome hunt and I have zero complaints with them. However they had some issues last year or the year before I think a pilot quit in middle of season or something and messed up the whole operation. Happy valley has only a few operations/choices to go with really.

Thanks for the replies. Am looking for someone to transport and supply camping gear (outfit) the hunt. Was on similar hunt in southwest AK 10 years ago. An outfit that is reliable and helpful is what I am looking for. I know Happy Valley is limited in transports out of their. Just want to hunt north of the Artic Circle.

Seventy north only transports check with Deltana outfitters they use to do outfitted hunts up there and had a good operation but that was several years ago. Give them a call they are the only one's I know off going out of happy valley outfitted in the past. I think arrowhead does them also but they fly out of grayling lake I think on the south side of the Brooks range. It's a great trip in awesome country.

Any new Caribou adventures in 2016? Interested in anyone's experience. Good or poor Outfitter experiences? Trying seriously to put something together for 2017.

Any new Caribou adventures in 2016? Interested in anyone's experience. Good or poor Outfitter experiences? Trying seriously to put something together for 2017.

Same here. Except I'm looking at 2018 or 2019.

I would highly recommend Ovis Outfitters/Silvertip Aviation. Matt and Emily operate out of Happy Valley and do an excellent job. We went 3 for 3 on a caribou hunt with them this year.

Thanks, will check them out. Would like to hear more about your hunt. What did you enjoy most? When did you go? Big caribou or average? Weather good? What would you do different?

Checking out Ovid, sounds very promising, thanks for the tip/insight. Am continuing to plan with them....... John

I would have a backup plan. About half the central AK herd is missing. Wouldn't be surprised to see restrictions this fall. NR will likely get cut to one bull, or possibly none. Nothing for sure, but I'd reserch a backup plan

I would have a backup plan. About half the central AK herd is missing. Wouldn't be surprised to see restrictions this fall. NR will likely get cut to one bull, or possibly none. Nothing for sure, but I'd reserch a backup plan

Interesting you bring that up. I too am researching a caribou hunt for 2018 or 2019 and I have heard the caribou herds of northern Saskatchewan and Manitoba are down as well... must be a correlation.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back