Caribou Gear Tarp

Hanging meat in the garage.

FWIW, there’s not a lot of reason to age burger trim or slow-cook meat like shoulders, shanks, etc.
I have tried to explain this to my old man when I want to get a jump on butchering. He doesn't understand that the point of hanging and aging meat is for the proteins to break down after rigor mortis aka tenderize. That is unless you're talking longer term dry aging. But he's quite set in his way.

I have the boned out meat hanging in game bags in my garage.
The only thing I will add is to try and hang the meat then put the bag around it, not let the meat sit in the bottom of the hanged bag. I've found especially in back straps it is best to hang length wise as they age. Second best is laid out on rack. Worst option is piled up at the bottom of a bag. Hang all quarters, large pieces and straps, use a rack or sheet to lay out trim or just freeze it now. Take tenderloins inside and age in fridge for a shorter duration as to not dry out.
As some have suggested, ensure all meat is clean and replace the blood soaked bags with fresh ones. Indirect air circulation is a plus, temps look good.

This year I hung an elk back strap on a meat hook through the tough meat on the neck. (Instead of leaving at the bottom of a bag.) I then put the bag around the backstrap like Bucksnducks said. It worked very well.

This year I hung an elk back strap on a meat hook through the tough meat on the neck. (Instead of leaving at the bottom of a bag.) I then put the bag around the backstrap like Bucksnducks said. It worked very well.
I've started poking a hole through the meat and running a bit of 550 cord that's then tied off to the game bag loop. Then when packing out, I either try to strap the bag on exterior of pack or if it has to go inside pack I'll tie to something at top of pack in attempt to keep the strap elongated.

If you get the chance, check out a local meat processing plant or butcher facility for their meat processing and storage conditions. After killing and bleeding the animal, they immediately hang meat quarters in an enclosed cooler with fan-air circulation for about a week before deboning and processing. Their cooler temps are just above freezing so there is no spoilage. With that said, I get a cold room set up in my garage before I leave for the field. I use a really good cold air conditioner blowing into a good size zipper enclosed tent for my storage locker. The tent height is 72" so I can set up a bar inside for hanging the quarters. I don't need an expensive tent, just one that will hold in the cold air. I keep a refrigerator thermometer inside the tent to monitor air temperature. The tent vents can be opened and adjusted to control moisture buildup inside the tent. Now, I have a controlled cold storage meat locker. Once I'm done, I dismantle everything and put it away until next season to keep my wife happy.

In future,if you still have concerns, know aging in coolers with frozen jugs works just as well. It is so seldom cool enough to hang anything here it feels strange on the rare occasion we can do it. I age bone-in in a cooler with frozen jugs for up to a week. Local processors do not age at all.

We're going to process a hog tomorrow. I killed it almost a week ago. It's been in a cooler with frozen jugs and looks perfect.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back