Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Hanging a euro mount in a corner

If i was tackling the corner aspect, then I would want a wedge of wood (or steel if are a welder) anchored directly into the studs so that when I go to attach the Euro holder to the wood the result is a symmetrical mount where I could do a chin up on the holder.

If you decide to change the Euro mounted there then unscrew the Euro and screw in the next. If decide to raise or lower then uncrew the wood wedge and move.

I use lags into the framing 2 x 4s when I need to make sure the Euro or shoulder mount or TV stay on the wall. I take a 1/16" drill bit and drill into the 2x4 through the drywall in 3/8" spacing side to side to verify the center then I drill the lag hole in the 2x4 knowing I did not just catch near the side of the 2x4.

Reactions: trb
If the house was built to code, there will be studs meeting at both sides of a corner. No problem anchoring there. The problem will be the distance from the anchor point in the corner to the skull. Again, the complexity increases exponentially with increased size of the rack. Send us a photo.

If the house was built to code, there will be studs meeting at both sides of a corner. No problem anchoring there. The problem will be the distance from the anchor point in the corner to the skull. Again, the complexity increases exponentially with increased size of the rack. Send us a photo.
Will do when I'm home from work in a couple hours. The problem I anticipate is that it is the lower floor of a split level. So, the drywall is mounted to the cement foundation in a lot of spots rather than framing. The corner is where an interior wall leaves the foundation perpendicularly, so I am not 100% sure what the stud(s) looks like in that corner. I previously had to patch drywall down there in another room due to water damage against the foundation and it was a HUGE pain in the ass due to the stupid brick "texture" molding they did on the interior of the foundation. However, if I do a floating shelving/pedestal mount like suggested, that shouldn't really be a problem as I can mount it on two spots on the interior wall stud.

If the OP has little kids in the house, here's something to consider. When my oldest daughter was 2.5 years old, we were having Christmas dinner at my parents' home. Before dinner I asked my ex if she had seen our daughter. Nope. So I went looking. Found her upstairs in my old bedroom doing pull ups on this elk rack which was only hanging on a heavy nail. If she had pulled it off the hanger, it could have killed her! After that the rack and wider one on opposite wall were screwed to studs. They now hang on stout secure hangers of my own design.20220308_095605.jpg
Kids in the house, you better make sure that skull and rack are firmly attached or inaccessible.

Will do when I'm home from work in a couple hours. The problem I anticipate is that it is the lower floor of a split level. So, the drywall is mounted to the cement foundation in a lot of spots rather than framing. The corner is where an interior wall leaves the foundation perpendicularly, so I am not 100% sure what the stud(s) looks like in that corner. I previously had to patch drywall down there in another room due to water damage against the foundation and it was a HUGE pain in the ass due to the stupid brick "texture" molding they did on the interior of the foundation. However, if I do a floating shelving/pedestal mount like suggested, that shouldn't really be a problem as I can mount it on two spots on the interior wall stud.
I see your problem. When I finished off my basement, I attached the firring strips horizontally behind barn board paneling between insulation bats because no structural reinforcement was necessary and ceiling was short. Where the interior wall meets exterior, there's only stud on one side of the corner. Give some serious thought to having someone build a nice cabinet to support a pedestal mount. Corners are almost always wasted space anyway. Attaching that cabinet to just one wall would be enough support.

Is your euro bare or mounted on a plaque? I think we are all assuming it is bare.

Okay. My daughter and I are in the taxidermy business. Talking it over dinner with her tonight, I think I can build you something to hold the euro rack to a corner. Here's what I built for my Cape buffalo skulls.
20220521_113447.jpg20220517_085941.jpg20220405_112804.jpg
Last week I made a similar euro mount for the kudu I shot in 2021. For your elk euro I would need to make a longer neck away from the corner attached to a split plaque base on both corner walls. You'd still need a shelf of some sort somewhere for the creeping plant.

Attachments

• 20220312_122153.jpg
    20220312_122153.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 7
View attachment 259564
How about a piece of wood, maybe driftwood, anchored into the wall on both sides with some lag bolts. You should have studs on both sides at around 16”. Then you could hang the euro off of it.
The white side of the wall is drywall hung on concrete foundation, but could absolutely just do that with two attachments on the studs on the blue side (interior wall).

Might have to give that a try.

Okay. My daughter and I are in the taxidermy business. Talking it over dinner with her tonight, I think I can build you something to hold the euro rack to a corner. Here's what I built for my Cape buffalo skulls.
View attachment 259511View attachment 259512View attachment 259513
Last week I made a similar euro mount for the kudu I shot in 2021. For your elk euro I would need to make a longer neck away from the corner attached to a split plaque base on both corner walls. You'd still need a shelf of some sort somewhere for the creeping plant.
Looks good, and I sincerely appreciate the offer. I may try and piece something together myself but I'll be in touch if my efforts are unsatisfactory (they usually are).

Looks good, and I sincerely appreciate the offer. I may try and piece something together myself but I'll be in touch if my efforts are unsatisfactory (they usually are).
I'll PM some tips and photos when I get home. I'm sure you can handle it. I'm with my daughter in St Paul. My dog just had an abdominal tumor removed today the size of a softball.

Update on the semi-final product. Used insulated cable clamps to mount the antlers directly to the wall on both sides of the corner. I think it will look better as the plant grows into its new suspension system.
20230205_164552.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REVRON
Back