Handicap hunting...

Sytes

Didn't know exactly where to place this... figured here might be most applicable.

Note: I have no intent to take advantage any more then my body could use,

Handicap hunting.

Anyone in this boat that can shed some sage input on the subject? I have heard everything from reduced license fees to gate options to retreive game, etc...

Hopefully my goals are met - I intend to be running (probably monkey lookin on valuim) hell or high water by the end of the year... Sooner the better of course.

Basic info, they have assigned me a handicap status until june of 2016... However when I get to where I am running 13.5 minute 1.5 mile track, my victory evening will be a bbq with the fire pit kindling being that handicap sign for the car - Haha! :D

Sytes:

You will get to your goal, I have no doubt. Until then, there are special rules for each state, all differing in some way. The only state I know of that has a special draw for mobility impaired hunters is New Mexico. All other states I am aware of have rules related to shooting from a vehicle, allowances for game retrieval, etc.

Wish I knew more. As I learn more, I will share it with you.

Keep it up.

I've got crossbow permits in many states but not mobility impaired. As Fin says, each state is different. Figure out what states you are interested in and check them out.

Good luck to you and keep the positive attitude, it will help along the way

Kansas has early deer season for youth and disabled. Don't know if that would apply to nonresidents. That season is mid September , before muzzleloader and archery.

I looked into it awhile back here in Montana for a friend of mine, but I am not sure this applies to you as I believe you have to be "permanatly disabled".

Once you get certified by the FWP you can get a Permit To Hunt From a Vehicle (PTHFV). Once you have one of them you can go to the forest service ranger district office where you want to hunt. They should have a list of closed roads that you can apply to get a key to open and hunt behind with your vehicle. I am not sure that every district does this, but I know that the Cabinet Ranger District in the Kootenai NF has several closed roads that they allow disabled hunters access to. There are also a few special tags that only disabled hunters can apply for such as the 121-81 tag I copied below. Hope this helps.

Hunters with a Disability
• Certification for “special considerations”
are lifetime certifications and do not
need to be renewed annually.
• For applications, detailed eligibility
requirements, and information on
licenses and permits for hunters with
disabilities contact any FWP offi ce or
on the FWP website. See addresses
and phone numbers on page 119.

Resident With a Disability
Conservation License
• Residents certified as permanently
and substantially disabled, as defined
by FWP rules, may purchase a
conservation license for $8 which
includes fishing, upland game bird
(excluding turkey), state waterfowl
license, and state lands recreational
use license for hunting, fishing and
trapping purposes.
• The license holder may also purchase
a general deer and general elk license
at a discounted price. Applications
for a Resident With a Disability
Conservation License are available
at all FWP offi ces and on the FWP
website.
• The certifi cation is valid for the life
of the holder or until changed by the
Montana Legislature.

121-81: 5 licenses. Only valid for persons with a “Permit to Hunt from a
Vehicle”. Applicant for license may list a companion but must
attach a copy of companion’s conservation license listing to
applicant’s application. Companion may also apply for other
Elk licenses. Up to fi ve antlerless licenses will be issued to
companions.

There's a lot of landowners that will let you hunt, whereas if your not handicapped, you don't have a chance. Look around close by, and knock on doors. It might surprise you how some of the best hunting in the area is now available.

There's a big ranch that borders my wife's family's that allows handicapped and youth hunting only. It's loaded with whitetail and elk. Next time I'm down there I'll see what I can find out.

I know of a couple roads in region 2 that are open for hunt from a vehicle sticker holders only, but honestly neither are very good spots.

Here in SC, once an individual is declared permanently disabled by the Soc. Sec. Admin., they no longer have to pay for a hunting/fishing license. We do have to reapply every four years, providing proof of disability with a statement of earnings from Soc. Sec. Once an individual turns 65, they are issued a lifetime gratis license.

Many of our WMA's and most of the outfitters do provide handicapped access hunting blinds for deer, hogs, and turkeys.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back