Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What can be done, Medicine Bow near Centennial

PrairieHunter

Howdy folks.

I have observed an interesting situation on our public land and wanted to get your input on what can be done here.

This is in the Medicine Bow NF just past Centennial on 130 off Barber Lake Rd.

When you turn on Barber Lake there is a u shaped turnaround on your right hand side with a locked gate. That old road follows libby Creek going East. Along that road used to be a really nice campground with 25+ camp sites. The road runs along Libby creek for less than a mile and meets back up to 130. It appears that there was a fire in that area maybe 10 years ago or so and for some reason the USFS did not open it back up.

The interesting part is that someone has a private cabin along that road where I put a dot.

So it appears to me that the people who own that cabin were able to get the USFS to close down an entire campground and close access to that road so they could have their own private space in spite of that being public land.

So now they are able to access that road but nobody else can.

The best part is they have gone through and started ripping out the fire pits at each site and hauling it out, then they tip over all the concrete picnic table stands in an effort to keep people from using the space. This week there is only 1 fire pit left as they hauled out 3 more just in the last week that I know of.

My guess is the person who owns the cabin somehow forced the USFS to close down that campsite and close access to that road to keep the public away from their cabin on public land. Now they are trashing the campground to keep people out.

So do you all have any suggestions for what can be done in this situation?

InkedGoogle Maps.jpg

Yeah, first things first before coming on a public forum would be to do your due diligence and talk to the forest service. You’re jumping the gun at this point. You know what they say about assuming right?

The best part is they have gone through and started ripping out the fire pits at each site and hauling it out, then they tip over all the concrete picnic table stands in an effort to keep people from using the space.
Who is the "they" to whom you refer in the dismantling of this campground?

Yes, due diligence is required in determining the reasons and "back-story" information from USFS. Then inform us of the "rest of the story".

The campground was closed due to hazard trees and they are still laying around the area.
If they are stealing the resources then report it to Aaron Voos in Laramie.

No the LO did not get that campground closed for your answer.

I sent an email to the FS.
That campground has been closed for a few years now by the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back