Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

handgun/safety?? Am I overthinking this?

The biggest cause of a accidental discharge while holstering is the user does not remove their finger from the trigger. That presses the trigger when the handgun is fully seated in the holster. The thumb break from my experience is not a hazard it is the user who errors. Again when breaking in a holster this creates muscle memory so this does not happen. Most people that have issues is a result of not training correctly.

I guess I don't spend much time on the range, or train with, inexperienced shooters. What I can say from first hand experience (x2), is that thumb snaps can go in trigger guards and fire a pistol. In both instances it was a Glock service weapon.

I guess I don't spend much time on the range, or train with, inexperienced shooters. What I can say from first hand experience (x2), is that thumb snaps can go in trigger guards and fire a pistol. In both instances it was a Glock service weapon.
Interesting problem, was it the same person or the same style holster? Was it a duty type holster or a regular style? There are hundreds of different holsters out there today some say they are generic and will fit different models and they never really fit any model well. A person is better served by spending more $ on a model specific holster from a well known brand.

Thanks. This is not for concealed carry,, but hiking,, fishing,, hunting when animals decide we might be fun to eat. No grizzlies where we are but coyote, wolf, cats

I almost never carry a bolt action rifle hot when I’m hunting, but I only carry handguns hot and I don’t own a handgun with a manual safety. There’s nothing unsafe at all about carrying a striker fired pistol with a round in the chamber provided it’s kept in a secure holster.

Different shooter a couple years apart. Same style: leather, thumbsnap, high hip. Probably a Galco or Bianchi. I was an early adopter of kydex, all I have ever really used in about 18years of carrying a pistol.
I haven’t seen it happen myself, but a mushy open top leather holster can cause the same problems. Kydex is the only way to go.

FA8E6183-1652-44ED-A3EF-3B280F777362.jpeg

Different shooter a couple years apart. Same style: leather, thumbsnap, high hip. Probably a Galco or Bianchi. I was an early adopter of kydex, all I have ever really used in about 18years of carrying a pistol.
First time I have heard of this as being the cause of a AD. But anything can happen that's for sure. Guess I will always wonder if their trigger finger was in anyway part of the cause, but unless you were watching the entire time or a video of the accident there will be cause to wonder.
Thanks for sharing this,
Dan

Some good points raised.

My humble opinion, worth what you paid for it

1) A good holster is key, must provide secure retention, cover the trigger guard, and be something you will wear and not stuff in your pack
2) Carrying hot is up to you. If you choose not to, YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST practice drawing, chambering, and putting rounds on target in order to build this into your motor program.
3) Striker fired pistols, with a round chambered, and ima holster that is secure and covers the trigger guard do not bother me on the least
4) Most issues with holsters that I’ve seen involved the nut behind the trigger. Keeping a solid trigger finger index will solve nearly any issue. Floppy thumb break straps suck.

If your only going to carry in the field and you don't need to conceal you aren't pigeon holed Into a smaller pistol. Since you're not worried about bears I would look hard at 9mm or 357. 9mm is probably the cheapest to shoot right now.. There are a ton of good options in 9mm out there with and without manual safeties. I've carried a gun regularly for about 30 years. Concealed and in the field. I've carried most types of handguns and many different calibers. What I've learned is that it's a very individual process. Go to a range where you can rent them and try them out. Buy a proven model and you'll be fine. Also, buy a good holster and belt, it's worth it. Don't discount revolvers, they are very versatile but more expensive to shoot. I use both. Just an FYI, some manual safeties on the polymer pistols aren't that great. Kinda added as an afterthought.

Last edited:
This is a highly personal decision and everyone is going to have their own opinions / school of thought on the matter.

You’re going to have to decide for yourself, and then whatever you pick, train accordingly.

For what it’s worth, all my pistols have manual safeties and they all are kept with one in the chamber. I’ve also only ever had pistols with safeties, so drawing and flicking off the safety is muscle memory. But again, this goes back to training too…not just going to the range, racking the slide, and slow firing a mag of 15 standing at the 10 yard line. I draw from my safariland (good choice to the others that posted theirs in the thread), I draw from concealment, etc.

Put yourself in the mindset of thinking through real world scenarios, then think about the steps necessary to draw and potentially use your weapon in each given scenario, and then train, train, train!

Gun snaps, other floppy holster parts, un-tucked pieces of shirt tails, fingers.

People get excited, practice on the range getting it out fast and they are in perfect conditions. Then they start to build habit of PUTTING IT AWAY FAST and pretty soon Glock leg happens.

Regardless of the style handgun you want to get it in to the "fight" as quickly as you can with out danger to yourself, BUT when you are putting it away it is STILL a danger to your self. Practice deliberately taking you time and being careful returning it to your holster. Make safe re-holstering a deliberate, careful, part of the process. Clear any shirts or other possible entanglements BEFORE attempting to re- holster your gun. REGARDLESS of the model.

Gun snaps, other floppy holster parts, un-tucked pieces of shirt tails, fingers.

People get excited, practice on the range getting it out fast and they are in perfect conditions. Then they start to build habit of PUTTING IT AWAY FAST and pretty soon Glock leg happens.

Regardless of the style handgun you want to get it in to the "fight" as quickly as you can with out danger to yourself, BUT when you are putting it away it is STILL a danger to your self. Practice deliberately taking you time and being careful returning it to your holster. Make safe re-holstering a deliberate, careful, part of the process. Clear any shirts or other possible entanglements BEFORE attempting to re- holster your gun. REGARDLESS of the model.
This is good advice. Too many people think they have to draw really fast and re-holster really fast. Practice drawing an re-holstering slow and smooth. Do it regularly and the muscle memory will take over when the adrenaline is pumping.

Funny you mention this I was just thinking much the same. This year I will be spending considerably more time in Grizz country and have considered getting a handgun to run along with spray. I have little experience with handguns, other than the 9mm my wife recently won at a banquet. I am thinking of a Glock 10mm over a revolver. I am assuming that most if not all who carry a slide action for bear carry with one in the chamber. Am I assuming correctly?

I am largely in the same camp as @SnowyMountaineer in that I never carry a rifle with one in the chamber. Doing so with a handgun feels off to me. Am I missing something in the mechanics of the whole thing that is significantly different than a rifle? I suppose I could just get a revolver and carry on an empty chamber if I cant get passed this?
I don't believe modern revolver's would require you to carry with an MTY chamber. That came about many years ago on revolvers without a transfer bar. Today's revolvers all have a transfer bar and you can't hit the back of one and make it go off. You'll notice revolver's without the transfer bar all have a firing pin on the hammer, gone on modern revolvers. My old mod 16 S&W and my 38/44 S&W both lack the transfer bar. Hammer must be cocked to move the transfer bar out of the way for the hammer to reach the firing pin. Yet even on older SA revolver there is a safety of sort's, called half @#)(#. Need to pull the hammer back part way and it unlocks the cylinder to MTY and reload them. Gun can't fire on half @#)(#.

Others far more experienced than I have covered most of this, but I have a friend of a friend who is a ballistician in Washington and looks at NDs, and he confirmed that most occur on reholstering. He likes Kydex for that reason, witness the Galco picture posted.

But, as others have said, get some training. I know it's the internet age and all, but there are some things that still need hands on. Given the price of ammo, the few bucks you spend on training will more than pay off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back