Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hammer loads for 280AI

Durango Mike

Just got several boxes of Hammers for 270 (124 gr) and 280AI (131 gr) to try. I have some CFE 223, 6.5 StaBil, 4350,4895, Blc2, h4831, RL 15 and 22, Varget, Benchmark and a little 760 where should I start? The rifles both shoot 1/2 inch with current handloads with almost any 130 (or 140gr) in the 270 and the same in the 280AI for 140 and 150gr Sirrocos and slightly worse (3/4 in) with Nosler Accubonds. Loads for both use H4831 a grain off max, and have used 4350 with similar accuracy just a little lower velocity. The 270 is very quick to show pressure signs. The 270 is an early Dakota with a tight chamber and the 280 is a pre 64 mod 70 with a shilen barrel built in the 70's when it was a wildcat, tight match chamber as well. I keep hearing of the need for speed and faster powders with these bullets so any starting suggestions will be appreciated! Both rifles have all gilding metal out of the bores, and i am using Nosler brass and CCI match primers. I may be able to trade for some different powders if there is a better choice than the ones I have locally.

For the 280 I’d start with the 4350. Is it IMR or H?

Just got several boxes of Hammers for 270 (124 gr) and 280AI (131 gr) to try. I have some CFE 223, 6.5 StaBil, 4350,4895, Blc2, h4831, RL 15 and 22, Varget, Benchmark and a little 760 where should I start? The rifles both shoot 1/2 inch with current handloads with almost any 130 (or 140gr) in the 270 and the same in the 280AI for 140 and 150gr Sirrocos and slightly worse (3/4 in) with Nosler Accubonds. Loads for both use H4831 a grain off max, and have used 4350 with similar accuracy just a little lower velocity. The 270 is very quick to show pressure signs. The 270 is an early Dakota with a tight chamber and the 280 is a pre 64 mod 70 with a shilen barrel built in the 70's when it was a wildcat, tight match chamber as well. I keep hearing of the need for speed and faster powders with these bullets so any starting suggestions will be appreciated! Both rifles have all gilding metal out of the bores, and i am using Nosler brass and CCI match primers. I may be able to trade for some different powders if there is a better choice than the ones I have locally.
There is a thread dedicated to load data on Hammer's site. mtmuley

2 lbs of each flavor and just found 1 lb of enduron 7977
I’d start with H4350. These aren’t Absolute Hammers right? Assuming the Hammer Hunter? I load the 131HH in my standard 280 with RL16. It’s fast. 3200 fps from a 22” barrel.

There is a thread dedicated to load data on Hammer's site. mtmuley
went there and got plenty of absolute loads and only a few for hammer hunters. Found some more on Long range hunting forum. I have plenty of H4350 so I will start there in the 280ai, try H4831 in the 270 as it has always worked in this rifle. Thanks for the advice!

In my experience they shot well regardless of a lot of variables. If I was going to shoot them I’d get them going as fast as possible to try to compensate for their crappy BC. In 280AI- RL26 is going to be the ticket.
The 155 grain hammer hunter doesn’t have a horrible BC if it checks out

Keep in mind the difference between G7 and G1 B.C. G1 is about 1.9 the value of G7, so the numbers look horrible. Some of their bullets are listed as G7 and some G1.

G1 is about 1.9 the value of G7
Sorry to be pedantic, but FWIW there is no universal conversion factor between G1 and G7. You can get close by converting based on caliber, bullet weight, and muzzle velocity, but I still wouldn't use that converted BC to calculate drop. It does give you a very rough estimate on how two bullets compare when one is advertised with G1 and the other with G7.

Why any modern bullet is listed by G1 coefficient is totally beyond me, but I digress...

All that said, a G7 of .211 (for the 131g 7mm HH) may not win any awards but it's certainly competitive with most modern hunting bullets.

Sorry to be pedantic, but FWIW there is no universal conversion factor between G1 and G7. You can get close by converting based on caliber, bullet weight, and muzzle velocity, but I still wouldn't use that converted BC to calculate drop. It does give you a very rough estimate on how two bullets compare when one is advertised with G1 and the other with G7.

Why any modern bullet is listed by G1 coefficient is totally beyond me, but I digress...

All that said, a G7 of .211 (for the 131g 7mm HH) may not win any awards but it's certainly competitive with most modern hunting bullets.
I don't even know what pedantic means....

I was confused at first when I started seeing G7 ballistics and it was not making sense in the old school "BC" mind of mine, not realizing there were more options.

I was just passing it along, as I figure there are people like me who dont realize the difference exists, and I do understand there are far more data points than just the number.

But if I see a G7 BC, I can at least get something in the ball park to understand the number better compared to conventional hunting bullets that I am used to.

In my experience they shot well regardless of a lot of variables. If I was going to shoot them I’d get them going as fast as possible to try to compensate for their crappy BC. In 280AI- RL26 is going to be the ticket.
That's what I've been hearing and working out pretty good for my loads but impossible to find. From what the OP listed I would give RL22 along with 4350 and 4831 a try.

I have a load for 280AI with the 120 HH going ~3400 fps with IMR 4350. It's got good accuracy, but I'm sure it could be better if I messed with seating depth

I also have a pretty good load with IMR 4831 with the 143 HH. I'd start with either of those.

I am testing RL23 w/ the 143g HH in my 280AI. Have only done a velocity ladder so far. Will know more tomorrow. Have some H4350 to try as well.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back