Yeti GOBOX Collection

Halibut Recipe

Halibut is fairly mild in taste and I think that makes it versatile in how you can cook it. That being said, it seems we use it to make fish tacos more often than not in our house. It is hard to go wrong with just a simple mayo / spicy mustard mix spread on top of the fillets in a baking dish and baked in the oven until done. Here are a couple recipes that have worked well for us:

Halibut cakes
1 lb cooked halibut, flaked
1/4 cup onion diced
1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
3 cups fresh bread crumbs
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
1 tbs Dijon mustard
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 tsp dried leaf tarragon
1/3 tsp cayenne pepper
1/3 tsp salt
2 tbs vegetable oil
lemon wedge to serve

Drain halibut meat well. Combine halibut meat, onion, bell pepper and 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs in a medium size bowl. Beat mayonnaise, cream cheese, mustard, egg, tarragon, cayenne and salt together in a separate bowl. Stir mayonnaise mixture into halibut meat mixture. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.

Place remaining crumbs into a shallow bowl. Using an oval soup spoon, drop spoonfuls of mixture onto crumbs and form into patties, coating each side with crumbs. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat, Carefully add halibut cakes. Cook until golden brown, turning once. If oil browns, wipe out skillet and add fresh oil. Serve with lemon.

Makes 24 appetizer size cakes or 5 entree size cakes

Halibut tacos
1 lb halibut
corn tortillas
1 package cole slaw
8oz package shredded cheddar cheese
1 can drained rinsed black beans
1 can drained canned corn (Green Giant works best)
canola oil
salsa or pico de gallo of choice

Broil halibut. While halibut is cooking, mix black beans and corn in bowl and microwave until hot. Heat skillet on medium-high heat, add tortilla and brown on both sides and place over tinfoil covered rolling pin to shape.

Add halibut, shredded cheddar cheese, bean & corn mixture, cole slaw and salsa. Enjoy!!

We (my son) cut ours about the size of a pack of playing cards. While he is doing that (my wife) crushes a roll of Ritz crackers into the tiniest possible bits and adds a couple table spoons of Lowery's seasoning salt. (My daughter) pours some milk in a shallow bowl and then heats up a half inch of peanut oil in a shallow fry pan. (My older daughter) then dips the fillets in the milk and washes them through the pulverized crackers. Lastly she drops them in the shallow pan of hot oil (hot enough that a drop of water dances on it). About 1 minute per side-you better be fast!
By this time I am usually pretty winded and hungry and the halibut does not disappoint!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back