Caribou Gear Tarp

Halibut charters near Anchorage

coleslaw

Looking for info on any Halibut/ Rockfish charters near Anchorage. Fiance and I are getting married this May and we have been trying to plan our honeymoon to Alaska for mid-June (this year). This in-spite of the current price of air travel :(
She has some cousins living in Anchorage that we will likely be staying with and they have good knowledge on river fishing and hiking.
I know there are some charters down in Homer, but that's a bit of a drive with somebody else's vehicle unless we rent one for a day or two so it's not entirely out of the question.
I did try to Google charters and wasn't able to find much for Halibut style fishing; the main draw seems to be Salmon in that area and we are not interested in a Salmon charter. We already do a fair amount of Salmon trolling on Lake Michigan every summer.
Anyways, would really like some Halibut/ Rockfish/ Cod meat to take home with us. To me they are some of the best tasting seafood out there. Thanks!

Nothing to share other than sounds fun as heck! Even some good rock fish, salmon, etc! Pics and a story!

Best to ya! Hope something works out!

Imma get crap for this, but I feel halibut is over-rated. It's an all day event for 2 fish that don't really taste that good. Next time I go to Alaska, I will do half day rockfish and salmon trips. Lots of action for really good tasting fish, and you're not dead tired from 12 hrs on the sea. I actually much prefer the by-catch of cod we boated while we were halibut fishing, one of my favorite fish to eat.

Been looking at a trip a well. You could take a train ride to Seward, it looked like it would be a good site seeing looking at the route.

Imma get crap for this, but I feel halibut is over-rated. It's an all day event for 2 fish that don't really taste that good. Next time I go to Alaska, I will do half day rockfish and salmon trips. Lots of action for really good tasting fish, and you're not dead tired from 12 hrs on the sea. I actually much prefer the by-catch of cod we boated while we were halibut fishing, one of my favorite fish to eat.
I feel ya. Except halibut is good to eat. The cost is stupid expensive for what you get though. $400day for 30lbs of fish, if you're lucky, more like 15. Rock fish, lingcod and salmon trips are way more fun and net about the same amount of fish.

to the OP, check out Whittier, there are a number of charters out of there, its an hour and change from Anchorage, otherwise its Seward, Ninilchik or Homer. If just straight halibut, look at Ninilchik, runs are pretty short, and days aren't too long. Good luck finding a slot though. Even the little guys are booked solid. I've been looking as well.

I feel ya. Except halibut is good to eat. The cost is stupid expensive for what you get though. $400day for 30lbs of fish, if you're lucky, more like 15. Rock fish, lingcod and salmon trips are way more fun and net about the same amount of fish.

to the OP, check out Whittier, there are a number of charters out of there, its an hour and change from Anchorage, otherwise its Seward, Ninilchik or Homer. If just straight halibut, look at Ninilchik, runs are pretty short, and days aren't too long. Good luck finding a slot though. Even the little guys are booked solid. I've been looking as well.
Our group of 6 barely got in, our guy we've been going with for about 12 years sold his boat and business. Luckily he was able to pull strings in December and get us in with another outfit.

Going to suck having to train another Captain on how we like to fish...

Our group of 6 barely got in, our guy we've been going with for about 12 years sold his boat and business. Luckily he was able to pull strings in December and get us in with another outfit.

Going to suck having to train another Captain on how we like to fish...
BuzzH, did you fish with Ron (In-2-Fishin Charters) out of Homer? I am told he also sold his charter and retired. Great guy!!

BuzzH, did you fish with Ron (In-2-Fishin Charters) out of Homer? I am told he also sold his charter and retired. Great guy!!
No, fished with Gary Salter. I can't know how many pounds of fish we caught with him. Always had a lot of fun fishing with him.

Homer - Manns charter. Great guy and an even better Captain. Everyone onboard limited out. If we go back, will book with him again.C4905B22-BE22-400D-A135-C18CA85718B2.jpeg7A0B9A84-3F0E-4A57-A372-2821F5BF2A6F.jpeg12A1F0CD-F8E6-4D0A-BF39-44E557FE29F7.jpeg

Last edited:
Check out Reel Salty Charters out of Ninilchik. A younger couple run business who really work hard to make sure you have a good time and catch fish. I have gone with them twice and both times were awesome.

Each angler is going to pay >$400 (likely >$500 with 2022 fuel prices) for one halibut
plus a one small halibut (less than 32 inches) per regulations.
Lingcod opens July 1, so keep that in mind.
What's the limit/ how much meat can you expect from a successful lingcod trip?

What's the limit/ how much meat can you expect from a successful lingcod trip?
Not positive but where we fish its 2 per day on lingcod...they really vary in size. Have caught them from 5-40 pounds...yield on meat is not real high.

Lots of captains won't fish specifically for them if their clients are novice's they'll be hung in the rocks all day snapping off jigs.

My Dad and a buddy of mine with a couple good lingcod from last summer:

D16A880E-C5D2-4C4A-9997-A1500AAD6F661.jpeg

Some from a couple years back, sort of average size:

IMG_20200823_161150735_HDR.jpg

If you can get into grey cod, there is no limit and IMO are better eating than lingcod. If you're on a bunch, you'll wear yourself out catching them, literally one after another.

bunch of grey cod in here:

IMG_20210801_152445192_HDR.jpg

Not positive but where we fish its 2 per day on lingcod...they really vary in size. Have caught them from 5-40 pounds...yield on meat is not real high.

Lots of captains won't fish specifically for them if their clients are novice's they'll be hung in the rocks all day snapping off jigs.

My Dad and a buddy of mine with a couple good lingcod from last summer:

D16A880E-C5D2-4C4A-9997-A1500AAD6F661.jpeg

Some from a couple years back, sort of average size:

IMG_20200823_161150735_HDR.jpg

If you can get into grey cod, there is no limit and IMO are better eating than lingcod. If you're on a bunch, you'll wear yourself out catching them, literally one after another.

bunch of grey cod in here:

IMG_20210801_152445192_HDR.jpg
That looks like a lot of fun and sore shoulders

Back