Hadn't thought about it....

Gunner46

...until just now.

I've been a 'simple is better' kind of hunter all my life. Thus I usually never went overboard on worrying about "matching the Camo". I've pretty much always hunted wooded terrian, or swamps, so my old USMC BCD's worked just fine.

It just dawned on me that eastern WY isn't GREEN, with tons of branches, trees, palmetto to breakup my silhouette.

Would a set of the current desert camo BCD's work better ? Otherwise I'll probably just go with jeans and my blaze shirt.

The desert camo wouldn't be a bad idea. It wouldn't stick out as much. I personally like naturalgear camo. I think it has a broad range of use. That is if you are going to buy something. If you already have the desert camo definitely go with that. There will be plenty that say camo doesn't matter at all but I truly beleive it may give you an extra second or two which may be the difference between pulling the trigger or tag soup. But then again I if you stay out of sight a pink bunny costume would work.

I thought match the hatch camo pendulum was on the downswing...as per the interweb.;)

...wth do I know...I dress in the dark.

Well worn, washed many times Carhartts match pretty well. IIRC you're hunting pronghorn and mule deer. Just wear what's comfortable. Anymore I worry more about what the material is made out of more than I do the pattern or color.

Ditto,but what do I know.
Split second of obfuscation at the right time is.....timely.
Your desert camo should work fine,mine does.It's sometimes what I wear scouting.
Jeans and Carharts are work clothes,IMHO And make tons of noise,restrictive,
Camo patterns that blend in with surroundings hide you,if only for a few seconds.

Since ungulates see in shades of gray, Black against white stands out like a sore thumb.
Fuzzy gray against sage,open pines&junipers and grasses.
I use outfitter style camo myself. Grayer/lighter version of your BCD's is all.

I stand out in a city crowd,cause I don't wear clown clothes like most folks....

"Pink Bunny outfit" LOL. That brought back an old memory, I had forgotten about.

Right after we got back from Desert Storm, I got hooked back up with a couple of hard chargers, for another gig to retrograde the equipment that was sent over. The three of us were pretty loose to rules & regs, but sure as hell got the job done in a most expidient manner, so the Corps just loved our ass, and gave us some pretty free reign.

October at Camp Lejeune means hunting a bazillion whitetails, as small as they are. It also means obligatory happy hours at the O club.

Soz, one night, after a few.....young Capt Scott starts on his 'High Tech, Low Drag' schpeel....Again. Latest & Greatest. I'm a bit beer cocky at that point, so I bet him I can go hunting the next day wearing a Hawaiian floral shirt & the bright yellow pajama bottoms my wife bought me.....and kill a deer before he does.

Bet ON !

I can't even begin to tell you how many times that Marine has retold that story........and how he had to buy me that beer!

I know camo only goes so far, but good looks, old age and lechery will win out every time !! ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back