Yeti GOBOX Collection

Guns into Canada

hooseratc

I have a cabin in NE Ontario and we are planning on crossing the border for a 4 day weekend in early October. We have already been up twice since the border reopened. I would like to take my O/U shotgun and shoot some grouse on this trip. Has anyone crossed in the past couple of years with firearms? What is the process going in and coming back? Was it a hassle? How long did it take at the border? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have traveled many times into Canada with firearms. Manitoba, Quebec and Ontario. They pulled us over once going on a Spring bear hunt to Quebec but I think it was because of the numbers we had. We were a group of 3 and we had 3 bows, 3 rifles and 1 shotgun. The border agent felt we were a bit over "gunned". 20 minutes to unpack and repack our gear and we were on our way.
if you have a single O/U shotgun you should have no issue.

Although I have never attempted to cross the Canadian border to hunt, a group of friends of mine did 3 years ago for a moose hunt. One of the individuals in the group had his firearm confiscated because he was convicted of a DUI 5 years prior to the trip, in his home state. And no, they don't give it back.

Stop on U.S. side and have a CBP form 4457 completed before hand then stamped by the US CBP Officer with his / her badge #. Use it for your rifle(s) and high priced optics, etc. (They also have the form on hand as well).

It works as proof you did not purchase / bring a firearm from the foreign country w/o legal requirements necessary to do such.

It works as a temporary export for U.S. firearms returning and stays with you for the duration you own the firearm. Most laminate and place behind the form padding of the gun case.

See attached CBP Form 4457

Attachments

• CBP Form 4457 (1).pdf
    560.3 KB · Views: 10
Back